Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
CCS71
LFX to LT1

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS M6
Waterless wash

I'm on the fence about this.

There are a number of waterless wash products on the market now. Some people swear by them; some are skeptical. What's your take? Yay or nay?

I do not intend for this to take the place of good ol' soap and water. I have a ceramic coating and will maintain a coat of carnauba wax over it. Exploring my options for touchups that are least likely to abrade the paint.

Aaaaand.....go.
2017 Camaro Fifty 2SS; Sequence #270 - Sunroof/Nav/NPP/MRC/6speed

CCS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...ight=waterless
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I have experimented with two bucket, rinseless, waterless, from cannons, and foam gun's.

I am not a fan of waterless for one specific reason. And that is there's not enough lubricity on the surface for you to drag the towel over it, and if you do put enough waterless you go through the product Fairly quickly.

A much better alternative is rinseless. It keeps a thin film of water between your microfiber and the surface so you don't scratch. Read my link below. Rinseless is the preferred method to also keep xpel in good shape by many installers. They usually recommend optimum ONR. I am a Duragloss rinseless fan, cheap and effective.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS71 View Post
I'm on the fence about this.

There are a number of waterless wash products on the market now. Some people swear by them; some are skeptical. What's your take? Yay or nay?

I do not intend for this to take the place of good ol' soap and water. I have a ceramic coating and will maintain a coat of carnauba wax over it. Exploring my options for touchups that are least likely to abrade the paint.

Aaaaand.....go.
Waterless washes can be used when used correctly. Especially on a coated car, I love the new EchO2 from Carpro. However I use it more like a detail spray rather than wiping down the entire car.

Like Glen mentioned, Rinseless is definitely much safer (EchO2 can also be used as rinseless wash). But you can use it for touch ups, or as a drying agent.

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...364/500-ml-S1/
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Yes, I use Chemical Guys EcoSmart waterless solution as my detail spray, especially for bird droppings. More lubricity than a regular detail spray.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
Glen e

Agreed… My comments are talking about using it as a complete car wash, it works great clean up… Keep a Windex bottle full in your trunk. However rinseless diluted works same, I believe having as few products as possible on my shelf, they can do double duty.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #7
KirkH

I'll admit- I was late to joining the Rinseless movement but I agree it is a great process.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I'll admit- I was late to joining the Rinseless movement but I agree it is a great process.
Yup...... I've been writing up detailing stuff on sites for about 15 years, and the big thing you have to be careful of is just recommending a product because you don't know how it's going to be used. My whole fear with waterless is , with it's very specific use with multiple towels and lotsa spray, it works great. But a lot of people won't do that, they'll, just spray down the panel and wipe it, like it's a quick detailer, And then grind dirt right into the surface because it didn't get lifted off. Rinseless has a much larger safety margin against idiots that "spray and wash"....LOL
Old 04-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
I like using Meguiar's Wash & Wax anywhere (waterless wash) as a detail spray. As for a full on cleaning, Rinseless washing is my preferred method.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
It really is a great process!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Yes, I use Chemical Guys EcoSmart waterless solution as my detail spray, especially for bird droppings. More lubricity than a regular detail spray.
I like using a rinseless product diluted into a spray detailer mix for bird poop, works great. Don't like using it for large areas though, it tends to smear and doesn't work great as a whole car detailer.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Yup...... I've been writing up detailing stuff on sites for about 15 years, and the big thing you have to be careful of is just recommending a product because you don't know how it's going to be used. My whole fear with waterless is , with it's very specific use with multiple towels and lotsa spray, it works great. But a lot of people won't do that, they'll, just spray down the panel and wipe it, like it's a quick detailer, And then grind dirt right into the surface because it didn't get lifted off. Rinseless has a much larger safety margin against idiots that "spray and wash"....LOL
Especially when you see demos of the product and they are just spraying a little bit and wiping!
Old 04-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #13
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
My black 05 GTO has only been washed with water 4 times, all the other times I used our WW. And my paint is better now then when new.......I love the ease of use of WW.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-car-wash.html

Name:  IMG_1978.JPG
Views: 647
Size:  73.4 KB
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
My black 05 GTO has only been washed with water 4 times, all the other times I used our WW. And my paint is better now then when new.......I love the ease of use of WW.

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-car-wash.html

Attachment 864231
In my opinion, this post might as well be spam.