Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
Headliner failure - less than week old

I just purchased a 2017 50th Anv SS after selling my 2012 Camaro. 2nd day I had it out, looked over and noticed the headliner coming out. It's cut too short and won't tuck back under the trim. Is this a large spread known issue? I posted on the 50th Anv Facebook page and several others have the same issue. Do they have to replace the whole headliner to fix? Concerned it will cause more issues local dealer replacing the complete headliner.

Also, what's with the chrome strip around the gauge cluster?! That reflects sunlight right in your eyes - seems to be a hazard to me. I will be putting a tinted brow on soon so hopefully, that reduces the glare.
Attached Images

cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Most headliners can stretch with steam.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
I just purchased a 2017 50th Anv SS after selling my 2012 Camaro. 2nd day I had it out, looked over and noticed the headliner coming out. It's cut too short and won't tuck back under the trim. Is this a large spread known issue? I posted on the 50th Anv Facebook page and several others have the same issue. Do they have to replace the whole headliner to fix? Concerned it will cause more issues local dealer replacing the complete headliner.

Also, what's with the chrome strip around the gauge cluster?! That reflects sunlight right in your eyes - seems to be a hazard to me. I will be putting a tinted brow on soon so hopefully, that reduces the glare.
Bought mine 5 weeks ago, and looks EXACTLY like that. Dealer has ordered a new one. One member said his dealer removed the front windshield to replace it... That scares me! My dealer said remove passenger seat only. They seem like a reputable shop, and I've explained my concerns about rattles/squeeks/etc. We'll see pretty soon - new headline is supposed to be in this week.
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
cybercoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
Bought mine 5 weeks ago, and looks EXACTLY like that. Dealer has ordered a new one. One member said his dealer removed the front windshield to replace it... That scares me! My dealer said remove passenger seat only. They seem like a reputable shop, and I've explained my concerns about rattles/squeeks/etc. We'll see pretty soon - new headline is supposed to be in this week.
remove the windshield to replace headliner?! ouch
Old 05-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
remove the windshield to replace headliner?! ouch
Must be one of those dealers that likes to bill GM with unnecessary repair procedures to pad their warranty work. They probably make good money of that tactic from GM.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
The majority of problems are at the front windshield. You're the first one I have seen that it is coming out over the door. That would drive me nuts.
It is easy to forget the little bit of trim showing by the windshield but the door you would see every day.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
pjz1082

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Mine has been like that pretty much since purchase. In the front, back and passenger side door. My dealer said bring it in prior to the warranty expiring and they will replace it. Same with the seat covers pulling out from various points. His point was to wait a bit for all of these old incorrectly cut parts to be shipped out before ordering a new one as you might end up with the same exact problem. And as far as I know, yes, they need to take out the windshield to fit or else they have to bend it trying to get through the door.
pjz1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
adamizme

Drives: 2017 1SS M6
Mine is like that on the passenger side. I brought it up to my dealer and they said it's a known issue with no fix. They took me around to look at every Camaro they had on the lot and 5 out of 6 were the same way. I called GM to find out when they'll have a fix for it and they were clueless.

Is anyone else who has/had this issue having luck with replacements?
adamizme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
cybercoaster

Wow - GM really needs to address that. How embarrassing. Mine is right at the passenger door so when people get it so see how GM "stepped up the game" as the commercials say - it's laughable on a $50k car. I will probably try and do something (stretch/glue) until I know it's really fixed on any replacements.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie

Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Wow I just looked my 17' 1LE is like this along the passanger side door. Can I just glue it?
Old 05-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #11
Goodheart

Drives: 2017 50th SS Vert
You guys should have gotten a convertible
Goodheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 AM   #12
adamizme

I'd say the proper action would be to call GM directly and create a "service request" in their system. The more people who call and report this issue, the more inclined they will be to release a fixed headliner that's not cut too short.

Bonus - They gave me a voucher that can be used toward accessories for my trouble.

More info - The number I called was the main Chevrolet Customer Care number: 1 (800) 222-1020. The representative who initially answered the call was obviously foreign and difficult to understand, so I escalated the call and then received some help. I was assured that the issue was being sent on to another department for review and that accepting the voucher was not in any way surrendering or voiding the warranty for the headliner.

Last edited by adamizme; 05-16-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: bonus and more info
Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 AM   #13
Camaroslut

Drives: 2017 SS Fifty
I have the same problem with my passenger side. As far as the front goes, I felt around the forward edge where the headliner meets the windshield and noticed that none of the headliner there is tucked in. Is that what everyone is talking about in the front?

Last edited by Camaroslut; 05-16-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Camaroslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
adamizme

This thread shows what's happening with the front of some:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438521

When I was discussing this problem with my dealer, they pointed out a similar issue with the front of mine. Mine isn't sagging in the front though, so it's fairly hidden by the tinted border around the windshield. You can see it if you're really looking for it. Honestly, that didn't bother me too much.

The edge of the headliner showing so obviously to any passenger who sits in my car is concerning though. As mentioned above, it's embarrassing.