Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
ok correct it
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
dexos is a label GM came up with to scare owner into buying a certain brand oil. Dexos1 is not Mobile1 it is the lowest bidder semi synthetic GM can get. for a few months it might be mobil1 for a few Castrol and so on. You do not have to buy a oil that has the dexos label on it. As long as the oil meets or exceeds their spec. and most do they can not void your warranty. Any full synthetic exceeds their spec. unless your buying joe crackhead recycled oil you will be fine.
OK:

1) Dexos is a certification, not a designation of any certain brand.

2) "Lowest bidder, semi-synthetic," not true. For example, I've seen a lot of "synthetic" oil brands with the Dexos certification. Are you implying that oil labeled as "synthetic" isn't truly as advertised, by chance?

3) Select an oil that "exceeds" the Dexos spec, eh? So what if it contains compounds/elements that destroy the catalytic converters? As if that's not expensive. And it's warranty-voiding.

Senor Cunningham, you've made some good posts on here in the past, but I'm not buying this one.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
JCunningham

I didnt say dexos wasn't a certification. I said it was a label. not meaning a brand. it is just a symbol that GM made up to make people buy their oil or another brand oil that has paid GM to put the Dexos symbol on there oil. Most oil manufacturers chose not to by GMs symbol.
The oil you buy from the dealer or is changed at the dealer that is AC Delco Dexos is lowest bidder oil. If its another brand it is what ever that companies oil but GM buys oil in bulk from the lowest bidder. It can be any brand not necessarily Mobil 1.
Your not going to find a oil that will destroy a catalytic converter or anything els. if it did they would be out of business. as I said unless your buying joe crackhead oil.
Dexos is simply semi synthetic 5w30. Any name brand oil meets its spec and most exceed it. full synthetic Like Mobil 1 and Amsoil exceeds it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 09-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #18
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Your not going to find a oil that will destroy a catalytic converter or anything els...
Dexos is simply semi synthetic 5w30.
Wrong again. Just stop.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
JCunningham

what oil will destroy a catalytic converter?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
You can buy Napa 5w30 oil on sale for 99cents a quart and if you change it before 5000 miles you would be fine.

Oil today, any and all oils today are so much better than all oils just 20yrs ago it is incredible. Couple that with much better manufacturing processes and this whole oil argument is just something to give us all time to ponder things that are insignificant.

Also, I love the "void the warranty" thing. First off, it would only be for engine damage, and for lack of oil, not which kind. I have never heard of a warranty claim denied because of oil brand. Let's do an example: "Yeah, my front window won't go all the way up, think the electric switch might be bad or maybe the window is off track"..... Service advisor: "Yeah, what kind of oil you got in the car?" HA.

Given the world today, it is a wonderful distraction.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
JCunningham

GM will void the engine warranty if you dont use at least a semi synthetic oil.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Wrong again. You really should just stop posting.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
67motorcat
Blown Cool Breeze

Drives: 2011 Black on Black 2SS M6
Quote:
I didnt say dexos wasn't a certification. I said it was a label. not meaning a brand. it is just a symbol that GM made up to make people buy their oil or another brand oil that has paid GM to put the Dexos symbol on there oil. Most oil manufacturers chose not to by GMs symbol.
The oil you buy from the dealer or is changed at the dealer that is AC Delco Dexos is lowest bidder oil. If its another brand it is what ever that companies oil but GM buys oil in bulk from the lowest bidder. It can be any brand not necessarily Mobil 1.
Your not going to find a oil that will destroy a catalytic converter or anything els. if it did they would be out of business. as I said unless your buying joe crackhead oil.
Dexos is simply semi synthetic 5w30. Any name brand oil meets its spec and most exceed it. full synthetic Like Mobil 1 and Amsoil exceeds it.
Not quite sure where you got all this misinformation,

But at the risk of beating a dead horse again here is the real deal with Dexos including how oil companies must submit 5 gallons for testing..............it also list the approved oils

http://www.gmdexos.com/dexostmlicensing.html
67motorcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
100% incorrect.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #25
tonyko1
Banned

Hang on, isn't the oil covered by the warranty? I bought the extended warranty, hoping it lasts the 7/100k..
Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Hang on, isn't the oil covered by the warranty? I bought the extended warranty, hoping it lasts the 7/100k..
Nope. Regular maintenance items is not covered under the warranty.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #27
tonyko1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Was just being a smart-ass there Mr. Draco.

On one thread about when to change oil, I wrote that I change it every time I stop to fill up for gas, ha. Man, the replies I got...
Old 09-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
You are correct,the only time oil is covered is when you pay for a certain package Deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post