Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #71
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Okay, you know what, I refrained from saying anything in the “Saleen trashed the Camaro” thread, but enough is enough. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion and is free to buy whatever car they want and, if they desire to do so, have it massaged by an aftermarket tuner, some things need to be said.

One. If you watch the YouTube video where Steve Saleen was addressing the crowd at a gathering of Mustang aficionados, it is true that the Camaro was the focus of his humor. However, if you really believe that he was trying to take credit for the design and engineering of the car, then you are really, really reaching. Like others have already pointed out, he was simply stating that he “built” the Camaro used in the Transformers movie (which he did, based on the templates provided to him by GM, on a different cars chassis). What would you expect from someone who has been invited to speak to a bunch of Mustang owners? A diatribe about how great GM products are? How many of you on this forum, let alone at a gathering of Camaro-specific enthusiasts, poke fun and take pot-shots at the Mustang and Ford?

Two. I am confident that the vast majority of people who have said they would not buy a Saleen Camaro or purchase any of the parts he is going to offer for that car are not basing that decision off anything remotely related to how the final version of the Saleen Camaro will look/perform. They are basing their decision on the mere fact that, in the past, Saleen chose to build his cars around the Mustang platform. Although it is a very flimsy reason, so be it. However, I will let you know that the vast majority of the people who are likely to hold that opinion are not in the target demographic that Steve Saleen is going after, so I’m not sure that the money you don’t plan to spend on his products will ever be missed.

Three. I am a fan of the earlier fox-body based Saleen Mustangs but, like many others I know, I was not a big fan of a his SN-95 based cars and even less so of the 2005-2009 versions of the S197 platform. I consider his later cars too flashy, busy and over-the-top for my tastes.

Four. Saleen did/does a whole lot more than simply modify Mustangs. If you will actually take the time to read about the man and all the things he does, you’d be surprised on how much knowledge he has and what he has brought to the table in terms of aftermarket performance. If you think all that Saleen brings to the table is a body kit and some go-fast aftermarket goodies for Mustangs, then I suggest you take a look at the S7.

Five. From a business perspective, Steve is doing exactly what he needs to do to position his company for continued success and bring his own unique visions to the marketplace. Not only is this good for Steve Saleen, but it’s great for the domestic automobile industry as a whole. If you hold such a myopic view of things that you cannot see this, then I can do nothing but simply feel sorry for you.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #72
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Value sells cars. Saleen wouldn't do squat for the car.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #73
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I know that Steve Saleen has quite a bit of knowledge of cars and how they work. I recognize that he had the S7 designed and built when he was still with his company. I would love to own a S351 (the one year they made of it).

I don't take potshots at mustangs because I respect them and the people that drive them. I wish him well with his new business.

But if you're going to trashtalk something, then turn around and say you're going to offer your own version of it, you can suck a fat one...
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #74
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
I know that Steve Saleen trashed the Camaro, but part of me wants to see the Camaro.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #75
Brent87LT1
Sarcastic

Drives: like a maniac!
Actually, his versions have added value. You CANNOT buy a used Saleen for the same price as a used GT (in like condition).

I looked at a '93 Saleen #54 last weekend. $20K. It will bring close to that as this car is near perfect. However, no '93 GT I've ever seen would bring within $10K of that.

I'm not a huge fan of his don't get me wrong. He nearly put the whole crowd to sleep at the Mid America Ford meet a few years back. I do, however, have a lot of respect for someone who starts their own Supercar from scratch. How many american supercars are there? 4. And three are from the big three.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #76
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
hey I didn't know their headquarters was in anaheim.... thats right by my house

I wanna see what the car looks like, even though I wouldn't buy one or can afford one

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #77
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I do to, just not with the one car he dislikes...
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #78
Mr Twisty

Saleen screwed the pooch when he opened his pie-hole.

He chose his side now let him live with it.

Let Tom Henry mod your car, it'll gofast and won't look...Saleen'd
Old 01-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #79
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent87LT1 View Post
..... I do, however, have a lot of respect for someone who starts their own Supercar from scratch. How many american supercars are there? 4. And three are from the big three.
You missed a few.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #80
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
My responses in bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Okay, you know what, I refrained from saying anything in the “Saleen trashed the Camaro” thread, but enough is enough. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion and is free to buy whatever car they want and, if they desire to do so, have it massaged by an aftermarket tuner, some things need to be said.

One. If you watch the YouTube video where Steve Saleen was addressing the crowd at a gathering of Mustang aficionados, it is true that the Camaro was the focus of his humor. However, if you really believe that he was trying to take credit for the design and engineering of the car, then you are really, really reaching. Like others have already pointed out, he was simply stating that he “built” the Camaro used in the Transformers movie (which he did, based on the templates provided to him by GM, on a different cars chassis). What would you expect from someone who has been invited to speak to a bunch of Mustang owners? A diatribe about how great GM products are? How many of you on this forum, let alone at a gathering of Camaro-specific enthusiasts, poke fun and take pot-shots at the Mustang and Ford?

He said more than that. And if he was thinking about doing business with GM he should have been more professional regarding his remarks. As a business person he should be smart enough to know that Chevy guys are, by default, going to "refuse" to buy his product just because his name is Saleen. So, he should have taken every opportunity to bring Chevy guys to him not distance himself by cracking jokes. I don't care who his audience is. He said it, he's accountable for it. Period.

Two. I am confident that the vast majority of people who have said they would not buy a Saleen Camaro or purchase any of the parts he is going to offer for that car are not basing that decision off anything remotely related to how the final version of the Saleen Camaro will look/perform. They are basing their decision on the mere fact that, in the past, Saleen chose to build his cars around the Mustang platform. Although it is a very flimsy reason, so be it. However, I will let you know that the vast majority of the people who are likely to hold that opinion are not in the target demographic that Steve Saleen is going after, so I’m not sure that the money you don’t plan to spend on his products will ever be missed.

We won't buy it because it is not a good value. Some won't buy it because it says Saleen on it. We won't buy it because we don't want mustang guys to be able to tease us for having a Saleen Camaro. We won't buy saleen for a multitude of reasons. Bottom line is it is Saleen's job to get us to buy it or be content to have new customers who know nothing about the history of his business. I would argue that the average car buyer isn't interested in Saleen, And Saleen, as defined by his relationship with mustang owners, is marketed directly at enthusiasts. So, again, Saleen needs to come up with a plan to get us over the fact that he's a long time ford guy who has no problems making fun of the same people he wants to buy his product.

Three. I am a fan of the earlier fox-body based Saleen Mustangs but, like many others I know, I was not a big fan of a his SN-95 based cars and even less so of the 2005-2009 versions of the S197 platform. I consider his later cars too flashy, busy and over-the-top for my tastes.

I respect the product. But both Roush and Saleen will be fighting the battle of winning Chevy enthusiast over. That won't be easy. The name recognition that serves them so well now, will only serve to hurt them where we are concerned. Enthusiasts won't want to associate their cars with long time Ford Tuners. Call it immature if you want. But I'm sure a die hard Mustang guy won't want Callaway on their car.

Four. Saleen did/does a whole lot more than simply modify Mustangs. If you will actually take the time to read about the man and all the things he does, you’d be surprised on how much knowledge he has and what he has brought to the table in terms of aftermarket performance. If you think all that Saleen brings to the table is a body kit and some go-fast aftermarket goodies for Mustangs, then I suggest you take a look at the S7.

No one is questioning his experience or automotive knowledge. What does Saleen bring to the Chevy table that any of the other long time Chevy tuners don't know. As it is now Saleen, as he is with the product he currently sells, has done nothing to get me to consider his product. He needs to convince me it's worth my money. Until he does he's no better and has no exclusive knowledge that I can't find somewhere else.

Five. From a business perspective, Steve is doing exactly what he needs to do to position his company for continued success and bring his own unique visions to the marketplace. Not only is this good for Steve Saleen, but it’s great for the domestic automobile industry as a whole. If you hold such a myopic view of things that you cannot see this, then I can do nothing but simply feel sorry for you.
Steve is trying to do exactly what he needs to do. There is no gurantee that the very enthusiasts he is trying to convert will do so just cus his name is saleen. I argue that the very obstacles that he wants us to overcome in order to buy his product are put there by his own doing. And not just because of what he said in his video, although that doesn't help. But, because he's been a mustang guy for so long, the Camaro enthusiast aren't able to take the leap. Over time he may win us over as he becomes more and more associated with the Camaro. But If you think he is selling to the average buyer, I think you might over estimate his appeal. His target market is the enthusiast. And he needs to figure out a way to win us over. His name alone won't work for Chevy guys.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #81
131 SS
Camaro Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2012 Silverado LTZ
Ill pass on anything "Saleen." Its overpriced stick on parts at best IMO. Shelby is much better bang for your buck for name recognition.

Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #82
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Saleen screwed the pooch when he opened his pie-hole.

He chose his side now let him live with it.

Let Tom Henry mod your car, it'll gofast and won't look...Saleen'd
tom henry? how much do u think he will charge to do so? and im sorry who is tom henry?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #83
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
tom henry? how much do u think he will charge to do so? and im sorry who is tom henry?
Ask our mod Tag UR It. He's working a little deal with him.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #84
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Saleen stick to your stangs', leave my maro alone.

Closed Thread