Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-28-2016, 12:18 AM   #15
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
With as much df as these are seemingly trying to generate, I'm wondering exactly why folks don't opt for something like an APR wing
Old 07-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #16
TRAK1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LE

I love mine! Functional on the track too. ZL1 add ons tested my car for their production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TRAK1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 AM   #17
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
With as much df as these are seemingly trying to generate, I'm wondering exactly why folks don't opt for something like an APR wing
Because they are worried people will say stupid things like "ricer" to them and it will hurt their feelings.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #18
Tdenton55

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 1LE
where can you order the z/28 aero package at?
Tdenton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:34 AM   #19
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdenton55 View Post
where can you order the z/28 aero package at?
Type the GM part number into your favorite search engine. Many dealers who sell over the internet will pop up. Check their prices WITH shipping!

23489551 is the Gen 5 Z/28 Aero Components Kit.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #20
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
I have the 1LE splitter still and put the Z28 spoiler on my car. I thought about adding the wicker bill, but will not do it! Since going to the Z28 spoiler from the 1LE Spoiler, I can tell you there is a noticeable difference in front tire load at high speed! The Z28 spoiler alone adds enough rear downforce to overcome the 1LE splitter and make the front of the car feel "lite". I know if I added the wicker bill, the front tires might leave the ground at high speed! LOL (Not really, but you know what I mean...they will get really lite!)
Put some Redbull in the fuel tank and your car will really pull!
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:07 PM   #21
Tdenton55

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ28 View Post
Type the GM part number into your favorite search engine. Many dealers who sell over the internet will pop up. Check their prices WITH shipping!

23489551 is the Gen 5 Z/28 Aero Components Kit.
Thanks.
Tdenton55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:20 AM   #22
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
I also noticed at least 1 MPG difference with the Z/28 spoiler and wicker bill installed, as well as the rest of the Z/28 aero. My trap speeds also dropped by 1-2 MPH (around 112 MPH vs. 114 MPH at ORP). In short, it makes an impact. Is it massive? I don't really think so. The way it's designed, the down force build-up happens very gradually, and only picks up at higher speeds.

Regarding wing, yes, the wing would add more down force, and you would also notice it lower speeds, which makes it a better solution for track use:

From APR site (for GTC-500 wing): http://aprperformance.com/racing-pro...ustable-wings/
Quote:
The following table shows the actual data that were collected from the CFD analysis. The numbers in the table are represented in Newtons (a unit of force). To convert to "pounds," divide the numbers by 4.44822 (where 1 Newton (N) = 4.44822 Pounds-force (lbf)). For example, a downforce of 1286.89 N would equal 289.3 lbf.

C7 Z06 Stage 3 wing makes about 300 lbs of downforce at 150 MPH. With the wing, depending on 'what you'd like', you could get that downforce at a little over 100 MPH.

There's a big problem with use of wing, even besides the front/rear balance: spring rates. With the wing, you have to stiffen the rear springs in order to handle the additional load. Check out Viper ACR Extreme, and you'll see spring rates as much as 2x(!!!) regular Viper'sat the rear, while retaining rates similar to other Vipers up front. Even when you can come up with the right spring rates and damping (which practically would require you to get a good set of expensive coilovers), you will still need to balance it out, which unfortunately means massively long front splitters, which are not ideal for anywhere but race track.

Long story short: Z/28 spoiler works, but it's actually less than what we really need. Would I use a wing instead? No, since it's actually a lot more hassle and mess than I'd need. Would I remove it for the daily driving? No, I don't think 1-2 MPG is significant for a sports car.

One last word regarding fuel consumption: I think most of the increase in consumption comes from the significantly-increased sectional (frontal) area, caused by fender flares, rocker panels, etc. After all, drag is area*cf. cf is impacted by the spoiler settings.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 PM   #23
HELLsx

Drives: 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I also noticed at least 1 MPG difference with the Z/28 spoiler and wicker bill installed, as well as the rest of the Z/28 aero. My trap speeds also dropped by 1-2 MPH (around 112 MPH vs. 114 MPH at ORP). In short, it makes an impact. Is it massive? I don't really think so. The way it's designed, the down force build-up happens very gradually, and only picks up at higher speeds.

Regarding wing, yes, the wing would add more down force, and you would also notice it lower speeds, which makes it a better solution for track use:

From APR site (for GTC-500 wing): http://aprperformance.com/racing-pro...ustable-wings/

C7 Z06 Stage 3 wing makes about 300 lbs of downforce at 150 MPH. With the wing, depending on 'what you'd like', you could get that downforce at a little over 100 MPH.

There's a big problem with use of wing, even besides the front/rear balance: spring rates. With the wing, you have to stiffen the rear springs in order to handle the additional load. Check out Viper ACR Extreme, and you'll see spring rates as much as 2x(!!!) regular Viper'sat the rear, while retaining rates similar to other Vipers up front. Even when you can come up with the right spring rates and damping (which practically would require you to get a good set of expensive coilovers), you will still need to balance it out, which unfortunately means massively long front splitters, which are not ideal for anywhere but race track.

Long story short: Z/28 spoiler works, but it's actually less than what we really need. Would I use a wing instead? No, since it's actually a lot more hassle and mess than I'd need. Would I remove it for the daily driving? No, I don't think 1-2 MPG is significant for a sports car.

One last word regarding fuel consumption: I think most of the increase in consumption comes from the significantly-increased sectional (frontal) area, caused by fender flares, rocker panels, etc. After all, drag is area*cf. cf is impacted by the spoiler settings.

I was at the track today (going to see friends run) and i decided to drop the wicker bill to its low setting to see what it would feel like (it was a 2 hour drive so i figured i had plenty of time to evaluate). Now, i just came in a little while ago and was catching up on some threads when i read about this one back again. I would tend to agree with you about the front end pressure. I had never ran the car with the wb in its "low" setting (almost nil from looking at it, it only shows like 1/4in above spoiler) and BOY! could i feel the front now! It really lets you feel it "by itself" when the rear isnt beeing pushed down at the same time. It makesyou feel em seperate.

Hey, Im new to all this so im just telling what im feeling / experiencing while i drive. I find it funny as its all new experience and i really like it! But I must admit, the feeling while driving today, had me missing my WB.... Sure, I liked the part where i wasnt feeling the car "trying to hold me back" as if it were tied down, but i missed the "planted" feel i got from having it in the upper holes. Its almost as if the rear felt like, light, at speed? Or, 'not matched' for lack of better tems?? Like i was beeing held by the tail at some times and i had to concentrate more on the front.

When i removed it, i also noticed that the geniuses at the dealership did it once more!!! I had one of the inserts stay with the WB when i pulled it off as it wasnt "popped" in enough with the gun so it could get out of its hole. Good thing the others looked ok so i just put it back in and used the others to hold. So thats one more thing to get fixed...

And btw.... For what its worth... Look wise, i like it better with its tail in the air anyway!!!! so i might just put it back up tomorrow lol!!!

HELLsx

2SS-RS-1LE.
Exhaust (NPP), Recaro's(AYZ), Navigation, Heads UP display, Boston acoustic (UHQ), Rear view camera, Sun roof (CF5) ...(hey, it was there...), Opt Gas cap (VQL), Optionnal carpet mats (VYW), rear cargo net (W2D). RS package (WRS) / with HID lightning and fogs (T4F and T3N).
Yep..... It was kinda loaded!! :-) but it was the last 2015 1LE in Canada. I wanted white.... I got BLACK!!!! Lol!!!
HELLsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #24
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Pics please

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote