Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #15
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYSS View Post
Well i'm moving down there so there will be 1 more
COME ON!! Be glad to have ya!!! Car shows ALL year long!! lol.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #16
PhantomBlack

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Thanks for the compliment!! Yea she is pretty badass and gets all sorts of attention with her looks, but the big cam and Corsa exhaust gets everyone to come over after I get parked and set up. It's like nobody has ever seen a new gen Camaro all cammed up!! And to think about it, there aren't but abouy 1 or 2 others I know of, and I never see them out and about.. I'm gonna drive mine!! lol.
Yup I've only seen one cammed 5 gen out in the wild. It was a white 1LE, but of course I wasn't driving mine (was in the daily). Gave him the thumbs up tho!
Mods: GPI SS1 VVT cam, TSP long tube headers, LSA conversion, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, DW 700cc injectors, Lingenfelter solid isolator, Dedicated Motorsports ZL1 reinforced brick, ADM Griptech 2.5 pulley, JLT CAI, Phastek intake scoop, NPP cat-back, GM 3.91 gears, Eaton Truetrac, Tuned by Chris @ CHenry Motorsports.
PhantomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:56 PM   #17
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
My only advice for a cam is to do your homework ahead of time or find a reputable shop that you can trust. The next thing to look for is a good tune. That will make you hate the car or love the car. Just my two cents.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:06 PM   #18
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I installed my cam when the car had 4,000 miles on it. It now has 13,000 miles. Obviously not my daily driver but I have never regretted the decision to install the cam or any of the mods. I also have not seen any other 5th. gens with big cams in my area but then if they drive theirs as often as i get to not surprising.
You will enjoy the new cam and follow the suggestions posted here to get a long life out of your car.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:46 AM   #19
Ace0751
GEN5 Detail

Drives: 2011 Synergy Series 2SS Convertible
I’m in the same boat, gotta call to setup a time for spring but in my head I’m like, am I really doing this? Making sure I have all the right parts and always asking questions on how to make it better for the install. Still need a trans cooler for the new stall converter and maybe one or two more parts. With this much money being dumped in, I know I won’t regret this when it is all over. Had the same thing go through my mind when I bought the car initially and I don’t regret getting it. So with the cam install it will be in my mind but I won’t regret getting it installed in the end cause I will enjoy the car even more. But do your homework first and make sure you have ALL the parts needed before the install and yes don’t skimp on any parts. If you think it is needed then it probably is.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:47 AM   #20
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I don't really regret it but wish I would have known how the drivability would have suffered. GPI said I didn't need a converter but I think that would have been for the best because of the engine trying to push through the brakes when in gear. I think with any cam upgrade (unless just really small) you would benefit from a converter but I'm not sure because I don't have one. And then you have the gas mileage to think about because I don't really remember what I was getting around town before but what I do know is that now it really drinks a lot of gas around town/city driving. But as InFiD3ViL was saying you do get a lot of attention. Everywhere I stop somebody has to complement on my car. Oh and on the tune. For the most power you can squeeze out of it I would definitely recommend a dyno tune over a remote tune because I know from experience that it makes a pretty big difference.

But as far as regret, I don't think so, I would definitely do it again and would never go back to a stock cam.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:59 AM   #21
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Great post moto!!! DO IT RIGHT the first time with ALL the right parts and you will have NO regrets!!
Aw, shucks. Thanks. There is incredible information on the forum. It does pay to take it ALL in. 'The truth is out there!'
Old 11-10-2021, 08:04 AM   #22
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Name:  B205DD02-46E3-4A38-AEB7-5DDB6CA322F5.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  27.5 KB
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #23
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Aw, shucks. Thanks. There is incredible information on the forum. It does pay to take it ALL in. 'The truth is out there!'
That's for sure!! It took me about 4 or so years of looking at videos, asking questions and researching the different cam companies and additional parts needed to do a swap, and seeing LOTS of good AND bad info on the forums of what to do and what NOT to do to have an enjoyable experience with the cam swap. I remember the first day I went back to she shop to pick my Camaro up after she was done and the builder that did it asked, are you ready to hear it?? Yep, he started her up and maaaannnn got goose bumps all over my body!!! Wow did she sound insanely awesome!!! Never thought MY Camaro would sound that great. Gotta say though she is a pleasure to drive, AND I still get really good gas mileage, about 12-14 in the city and 22.3 on the interstate cruising at 72mph, 2200 rpm.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #24
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
I swapped the cam. No regrets here. It's my daily with over 15k miles on it.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #25
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
So reading this what is the correct way to do a cam swap/upgrade?

Any general rules to follow of simple bullet point list of corresponding parts to change out while doing a cam?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #26
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Probably the biggest reason I don’t get one. I don’t have the know how and don’t trust anyone else in my area. And CA smog...
I detailed a buddies Camaro SS with a big cam. Im not a morning person to start, I was awake at 6am to start the process and moving the car made me a little upset..... was like your parents waking you up when your late for school.

That being said...... im getting a cam installed within the next few months so take what I say with a grain of salt. Im also doing it right and planning ahead for my future build. Cam package, push rods, dual springs, Frankenstein heads hoping for over 500 wheel
Old 11-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #27
Speeddmn

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Doing a cam NEVER… not doing a converter when I had the motor out… yeah
Speeddmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #28
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Mine will be going to Jannetty soon for a whole lot of changes. Hoping to see 750-ish wheel on E. Big cam is one of the changes so I’m excited.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote