Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #1
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Nitrous maybe?

So i have decided to not do business with Will or go forced since he is like a black hole nowadays and not a fan of Procharger after some reading.

My current thoughts are come spring install a 50 shot of nitrous (or smaller because i'm a noob) since dollar for dollar it appears to be the best bang for the buck along with a gear change.
NOT blowing up would also be nice.
Who makes a simple and SAFE kit for a beginner like myself to install?
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I'm not a big fan of nitrous unless you're building a balls out drag car and even then it's not for me. My old school brain kicks in and says this is more for a stout V8 engine/set-up. Read: 454, Turbo 400 and 3:73 gear 12-bolt. Seems to me it's an easy way to start breaking expensive LFX parts. But if you're doing improvements what have you already done? Are you manual or auto? What are your intentions/goals and of course, what's your budget?
Old 11-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
There is no such thing ass a "safe" nitrous kit. Sure lots of people have been using it and never had a problem, but it just take one small failure or tune error and your looking for a new engine.

There are lots of good shops around depending on the type of power your are interested in.

You don't mention if you have done anything to the car yet. If you only want a little HP increase then headers and exhaust can give you that. Its also a good starting point for more improvements down the road.

If you want a bit more then heads, cam, & intake can give you some real nice power.

If you are looking for more than that the either a turbo set up or a blower is the way to go. If you don't like Procharger then look at Whipple or Magnacharger.

Good luck.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 12:51 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Performance View Post
There is no such thing ass a "safe" nitrous kit. Sure lots of people have been using it and never had a problem, but it just take one small failure or tune error and your looking for a new engine.

There are lots of good shops around depending on the type of power your are interested in.

You don't mention if you have done anything to the car yet. If you only want a little HP increase then headers and exhaust can give you that. Its also a good starting point for more improvements down the road.

If you want a bit more then heads, cam, & intake can give you some real nice power.

If you are looking for more than that the either a turbo set up or a blower is the way to go. If you don't like Procharger then look at Whipple or Magnacharger.

Good luck.
Very good advice but OP has the LFX V6 so headers are not an option due to the integrated head/manifold design. Bolt-on performance items are fairly limited. There is only one aftermarket cam set-up out there that I know of. A couple fellows have done twin-turbos but they're custom designs. This is why my standard advice with these wonderfully engineered 217 cu in engines is to maintain and enjoy.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
co14camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro
A wet 50 shot should be pretty safe just only spray at wide open of course. 50 is not going to feel like much so more than likely you'll want to go with a higher shot. That's when things can start to go wrong. Don't cheap on this, get something that has a progressive controller.
Bad thing with nitrous is its best only at full throttle and you need to constantly fill the tank. With a supercharger you have power every where, all the time. Prochargers tend to run hot but as long as you adequately cool the charge and have a good tune you'll be fine.
co14camaro is offline   Reply With Quote