Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-30-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
BUMBLEBEE_SS

Drives: 2010 SS LS3 S200 56/61 AGP TT
Traction Control Stabilitrac

Quick Question...

Say the Camaro needs 350 Hp (at the engine) to spin the tires, but at 349 Hp its fine and they dont spin, So i guess my real question is, would traction control allow 349 Hp through or would it reduce it even more to 310 to be extra safe? Cause when i drive an 09 Ram and have the Electronic Stability Program aka (Traction Control Stabilitrac), on i notice a huge difference compared to when i have it off.

Would we notice the difference in the Camaro Compared to haveing everything off to competitive mode to TC off and STC on??

And is it constintly changing as you go through the gears? Cause i know the car needs less power to spin the tires at a lower gear compared to a higher gear.
BUMBLEBEE_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
spd98

Drives: had a goat
The car doesn't measure HP to limit wheelspin on slipage. MEaning you can hook up better on some roads than others. In previous GM performance cars the system wasn't overally zelouse to begin with. The GTO allows a bit of wheel spin as does the G8. But you cannot maintain a burnout with it on.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
And you will want traction control on if running red light to red light againts a rustang. You do not want to sit there spinning your tires while the rustang is moving forward.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
spd98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
And you will want traction control on if running red light to red light againts a rustang. You do not want to sit there spinning your tires while the rustang is moving forward.
You will be better off with no traction control on. You will bog the motor or kill it with traction control.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Use the launch control feature in competitive mode...

... looks like it wil allow a predetermined amount of wheelspin and limit the initial RPMs
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
spd98

Launch control will still not be a sub for a good driver. It's already proven in mags that you can launch better without it.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
You will be better off with no traction control on. You will bog the motor or kill it with traction control.
Traction control will not bog the motor any more than you getting off the gas to re-establish traction. I have never had one stall the engine till it died... the reason it seems to bog is that you have your foot to the floor and the computer cuts power to the engine just enough to regain traction. My HHR will still spin the tires but it will regain traction quickly and without much fanfare. If you are a driver that just likes to plant your foot and don't want your tires to go up in smoke you should use the traction control. but if you have good throttle control you can turn it off and get better times. Even with it on, if you can launch without breaking traction you will get better times than just stomping the gas either way.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
Roger Ramjet
Motor Head

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
And you will want traction control on if running red light to red light againts a rustang.
The thing is that the Mustang traction control system is worse than the GM system - it doesn't control wheel spin. It's all up to the driver!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
spd98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Traction control will not bog the motor any more than you getting off the gas to re-establish traction. I have never had one stall the engine till it died... the reason it seems to bog is that you have your foot to the floor and the computer cuts power to the engine just enough to regain traction. My HHR will still spin the tires but it will regain traction quickly and without much fanfare. If you are a driver that just likes to plant your foot and don't want your tires to go up in smoke you should use the traction control. but if you have good throttle control you can turn it off and get better times. Even with it on, if you can launch without breaking traction you will get better times than just stomping the gas either way.
Oh yes it most certainly will. It will not work during a burnout. Look at the g8's and the GTO's happens all the time. I have seen more than a few die in the waterbox (manuals only). I may actually have a video of a friend of mine doing it in my GTO (he forgot to turn it off).
Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
BUMBLEBEE_SS

Thanks for the feed back guys.

So when im at a light, i want to be

1) in competitive mode
2) rev the engine but dont drop the cluthch? but let it out slowly as normal and then pin it?

im so confused! when the time comes i dont want to wreck my car or emberass my self! i need your help fellow camaro owners! how should i go about taking off on both drag and on the road.... My car wil be a manual
Old 04-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
amen to that. i forget to turn it off quite often. lol
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLEBEE_SS View Post
Thanks for the feed back guys.

So when im at a light, i want to be

1) in competitive mode
2) rev the engine but dont drop the cluthch? but let it out slowly as normal and then pin it?

im so confused! when the time comes i dont want to wreck my car or emberass my self! i need your help fellow camaro owners! how should i go about taking off on both drag and on the road.... My car wil be a manual
it takes practice, everyone has a different technique. it takes ass in seat time to get ur rhythm and how u like to drive. it takes lots and lots of practice. so people on here can tell u lots of things that can be usefull but it still takes time to master it. just go out to a track and practice as much as possible thats how u get good. best advice would try auto X'ing to learn how to control the car and maneuver the car. then go try the 1/4 mile track. that way if u get a lil sideways u can avoid a wall .
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #13
spd98

You need to just practice. to do a burnout rev it up to about 4.5k or so in first (no traction control) and basically dump the clutch or let it out quickly. Once the tires are spinning you need to put your left foot on the brake lightly to keep the car from moving forward while maintaining your RPM's around 4k or so with the throttle.

To launch there are many methods. The best way is to rev it up to 4k or so and then begin letting the clutch out. The trick is letting the clutch out slowly enough that you don't bog the motor but fast enough that you come off the line hard. I could easily pull 1.6x 60's in my GTO with Dr's doing this.
When you feel the weight shift torwards the rear of the car you can let the clutch out rather quickly with little or no spin. It really takes a lot of practice and every time you go to the track it will be a little different due to changes in conditions. The trick is finding the sweet spot!

Just practice over and over and whatever you do don't run slicks on a IRS car unless you have a lot of experience. I suspect we will see about 15 video's of people crossing the center line and hitting walls at strips this year on slicks. Lane walkis a real demon on IRS cars.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:10 AM   #14
BUMBLEBEE_SS

oh man! wouldnt want to do that!

ill see if a can get into a high HP
driving school