Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #421
Cars and Tea
Banned

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
It just hit me I have been looking at a 1LE/ZL1 steering wheel, I could get a Z28 wheel!
Cars and Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #422
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Did GM finally hire a pro driver? Guessing by the time I doubt it. 3 seconds at the Ring isn't a big deal guys.

instead of hiring a pro dirver, it's always this GM engineer wannabe race car driver doing the laps for weeks on end. Meanwhile Chrysler took a bone stock Viper out of a museum and handed it over to a pro driver and he smoked the ZR1 Ring time with like 2 days of testing. HIRE A PRO DRIVER!
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #423
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Did GM finally hire a pro driver? Guessing by the time I doubt it. 3 seconds at the Ring isn't a big deal guys.

instead of hiring a pro dirver, it's always this GM engineer wannabe race car driver doing the laps for weeks on end. Meanwhile Chrysler took a bone stock Viper out of a museum and handed it over to a pro driver and he smoked the ZR1 Ring time with like 2 days of testing. HIRE A PRO DRIVER!

Hate to burst your bubble, but the guys who drive the ring for GM are RACE CAR DRIVERS, some of them just happen to be engineers too.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #424
Cars and Tea
Banned

Yeah I doubt a multi-billion dollar car company lets an engineer who knows the tech of the car drive the car...

...I am sure they have professional drivers whose job is ONLY to drive
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #425
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Well I hate to break it to you but Aaron Link is a badas driver and a GM engineer and I bet that multi billion dollar car company gets a lot more input from a driver with the engineering background who will have more in depth understanding of perFormance dynamics then even a pRofessional drivers. It is like having aprofesional driver and professional crew cheif in one.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #426
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Package View Post
Yeah I doubt a multi-billion dollar car company lets an engineer who knows the tech of the car drive the car...

...I am sure they have professional drivers whose job is ONLY to drive
Did you watch that video of the Nurburgring time? You don't think it takes a lot of skill to drive at 160 mph on a wet track with tires that are DRY track tires??

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #427
Cars and Tea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Did you watch that video of the Nurburgring time? You don't think it takes a lot of skill to drive at 160 mph on a wet track with tires that are DRY track tires??
i believe you are being sarcastic and agreeing with me? lol
Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #428
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
instead of hiring a pro dirver, it's always this GM engineer wannabe race car driver doing the laps for weeks on end.
What makes you think engineers can't make good test/race drivers? Ever hear of Mark Donohue? Or closer to bowtie home, Mark Stielow?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #429
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I can throw you another name too.

Mark Dickens. He knows how to drive, has a race car, and is one of the engineers.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #430
Cars and Tea
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What makes you think engineers can't make good test/race drivers? Ever hear of Mark Donohue? Or closer to bowtie home, Mark Stielow?

Norm
Yeah but I would imagine the percentage is really low.

And many probably think they can drive because they made the car etc. (Ego)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #431
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Package View Post
Yeah but I would imagine the percentage is really low.
Why would you think that? Engineers by nature tend to look for better, workable solutions to problems . . . kind of what you do when you're developing a race car, or a production performance car for that matter. Far more "hands on" than pure scientific research in some laboratory.

Quote:
And many probably think they can drive because they made the car etc. (Ego)
I suspect you don't understand how engineers think. Most people who aren't engineers themselves don't. Most drag racers don't, either, which I can tell you from direct experience. It's . . . well, different. Much less emotional, for starters.

You're in luck here. Today I stumbled across something very applicable here in my alumni magazine. "It takes a technical mind to understand it" (4th column, under the left front tire), but you'll also note that he's not just another field-filler.

Norm
BSCE '70
Attached Images

Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #432
Cars and Tea
Banned

You have to think of it like this...

How many people in the world work on computers daily (engineers) but how many are hackers? (drivers)
Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #433
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
There are two types of GREAT drivers. There are drivers that run by the computer built into their derriere and do what they do by some type of magic. There are cyborgs that look human, but drive by calculation revised in milliseconds with absurd consistency making them hard to beat lap after lap . The rest of us fall somewhere in between.

The GM Performance culture has attracted and or created a number of excellent drivers / engineers or is that engineers / drivers? I consider it a privilege to call some of them friends. The track at the Milford Proving Grounds get a lot of use. They data-log every lap. You can't had behind your ego with lap times. You are faster than everyone else in the same car or you are not.

Where does ego come in with the GM engineer drivers? When you ask them who is the fastest GM employed driver on the track at Milford. They all want to say "ME!", but they say "that is hard to say. Different guys get in different programs..." It is the same politically correct corporate response, but their eyes tell a different story screaming ME ME ME ME. Everyone has an ego. Not everyone with an ego is an engineer or driver or both.

Adam drove the Z/28 because it was his job and he is damn good at it. Adam is a private person. He does his best work behind a keyboard and steering wheel, without any media attention and likes it that way.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #434
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
There are two types of GREAT drivers. There are drivers that run by the computer built into their derriere and do what they do by some type of magic. There are cyborgs that look human, but drive by calculation revised in milliseconds with absurd consistency making them hard to beat lap after lap . The rest of us fall somewhere in between.

The GM Performance culture has attracted and or created a number of excellent drivers / engineers or is that engineers / drivers? I consider it a privilege to call some of them friends. The track at the Milford Proving Grounds get a lot of use. They data-log every lap. You can't had behind your ego with lap times. You are faster than everyone else in the same car or you are not.

Where does ego come in with the GM engineer drivers? When you ask them who is the fastest GM employed driver on the track at Milford. They all want to say "ME!", but they say "that is hard to say. Different guys get in different programs..." It is the same politically correct corporate response, but their eyes tell a different story screaming ME ME ME ME. Everyone has an ego. Not everyone with an ego is an engineer or driver or both.

Adam drove the Z/28 because it was his job and he is damn good at it. Adam is a private person. He does his best work behind a keyboard and steering wheel, without any media attention and likes it that way.
Good to hear from ya Pete!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014 camaro z28, 2014 camaro z28 forum, 2014 camaro z28 forums, 2014 chevy camaro z28, 2014 z28, camaro z/28, camaro z/28 forum, camaro z/28 nurburgring, camaro z/28 nurburgring time, camaro z28, camaro z28 forum, camaro z28 forums, camaro z28 nurburgring, camaro z28 nurburgring time, chevy camaro z28, chevy camaro z28 forum, chevy camaro z28 forums, new camaro z28, new camaro z28 forum, new camaro z28 forums, z/28 forum, z28 forum, z28 forums