Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Plastidip advice and help!

I recently decided until I get my forgestars, I'm gunna rock the stock 14 1ls rims for a bit. But I'd lick to plastidip them a gloss black. I've only really seem people do flat colors does the glossifoer they sell work well? I'd like to see any pictures of gloss black wheel preferably on my style rims but I'll take what I can get! Even if somebody has a flat vs gloss picture that would be helpful as well! The benefit is plastidip is that it can easily be taken off without damage correct? I don't plan on painting my lug nuts but I'm trying to figure out what I should do with the center caps? Unpainted or painted? Or painted just the Bowtie or just the background to it? Thought opinions and advice are all welcome! Maybe doing this as early as tomorrow! I have a ashen grey metallic 1LS I think gloss black will just pop better and not quite have the spray painted look.
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
salva

Drives: 2014 LS
I'm interested in this as well. I plastidipped my rims matte black but i'm interested in glossifying it.
salva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
crc91

So are all plastidip color matte? And try have like a gloss finish you spray over it?
Old 09-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Summit_SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
kind of a bad pic but here is mine with 5 or so coats of black and 3 or 4 coats of gloss. yes you can make them pretty glossy. the more coats you apply the glossier it will get.
Attached Images

Summit_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
crc91

That looks nice man! How many coas can you get out of one can? Also do you have to tape off your tires or something so you don't get overspray?
Old 09-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #6
Summit_SS

i took the wheels off the car. you don't have to tape off the tires or anything. i put armor all on the tires and made sure to do a thick pass over the tire with every coat. it peels off the tire with no problems. i bought 6 cans of black and had 1 left over. 2 cans of gloss did all 4 wheels. just depends on how many coats you want.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
crc91

Awesome thanks for the input man, do you have any more pics? And does the black get darker with each coat you apply? It seems the gloss(at least in your pic) tends to lighten up the color a bit
Old 09-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Summit_SS

i wouldn't say it lightens it but i may look that way depending on the lighting. but ya with the black it gets darker with every coat until its fully coated. heres a pic without gloss
Attached Images

Last edited by Summit_SS; 09-20-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: picture
Old 09-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
crc91

Gotcha thanks man! Is there a special wy to wash them once painted? And if I make a mistake
And have to peel it of what's the best way to remove it?
Old 09-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
nmartin1216

Drives: 14 white Camaro 1LE 2SS/RS
if you check youtube or dipyour dot com you will find every answer you are looking for man
I would suggest masking off tho not sure why the guy above said not too...dont want the overspray getting on the brakes or anything.
nmartin1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #11
Summit_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmartin1216 View Post
if you check youtube or dipyour dot com you will find every answer you are looking for man
I would suggest masking off tho not sure why the guy above said not too...dont want the overspray getting on the brakes or anything.
ya like he said there is a ton of youtube vids on the subject. as you can see from the second pic i posted there is no need to mask anything if you take the wheels off the car like i did. as for washing them just use a typical wash mit or something, just be careful around the edges as to not make it peel. if you mess up just let it dry, peel it off and start over. its super easy. IMO the thicker you put it on the easier it is to peel off.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
plastidip is dumb, just go get them powdercoated.

Plastidip will also ruin the painted surface you spray it onto... People think its safe but go see whats in the stuff. Ethly Keytone... powerful chemicals that keep it in a sprayable state... stay away from it.

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
From my experience, the most I have gotten outta a glossifier is a semigloss but nothing compared to mirror finish. second, I have dipped a few pieces on a few cars(fiances) and one of them was even white, the plastidip is still there and doing its job, looks great etc. I have not personally had paint ruined by any area that was covered for a couple years then removed, paint stayed identical to prior. just my experience

VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:50 PM   #14
crc91

Well it can't hurt my situation too much. I'm going tone getting piano blak forgestars eventually anyway (probably in about 6 months or so). Just looking to change up my look a bit and everyone seems to love the stuff

Tags
camaro, mod, plastidip, spray, wheels