Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #1
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
This is how Chevy treats my $45,000 "track ready" car

So this is so effing not acceptable, it is off the scale. Just a warning to those who track, this is what you are going to get. My car is pristine (i mean not an effing scratch, stain, wear item etc) and has been to Laguna Seca 3 times and has 11,000 miles on it since I got it on 8/4/14.... Time to lawyer up I guess? here is what they (GM CS here on C5) wrote:

Craig,

Thanks for following up. I spoke to Robert Victorino and he said that this vehicle is operated very hard. According to page 9-6 (Driving and Operating), track events or competitive driving may affect your vehicle's warranty. We aren't able to visually inspect the vehicle, and as such, rely heavily on our dealers to be our eyes and ears and for their technical expertise. The dealership has determined that they are unable to warranty your particular vehicle concerns due to how the vehicle is treated. I do apologize if that is not the answer you were seeking, but appreciate you for allowing us to reach out to them on your behalf.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
..So, what's gone wrong with your 1LE that they won't cover?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
backeddy
Banned

Quote:
..So, what's gone wrong with your 1LE that they won't cover?
The known clutch issue.....it's just starting to happen, thought I would be proactive since it grinds going in to 3rd EVERY TIME at high rpm
Old 01-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
The known clutch issue.....
Ya good luck with that one man. Several of us SS and 1LE guys have been complaining about that since this generation rolled off the assembly line. There are ways to possibly fix your problem but it's an out of pocket expense.

Doesn't sound like your dealer is very friendly either. Others have been helped out a good bit, not that the problem was fixed but parts were replaced under warranty even with track usage.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
backeddy
Banned

Sounds like a class action thing......If they fail to respond, my brother in law is a VERY high priced lawyer in San Fransisco. No attempt to fix a car listed as "track ready" is not going to bode well for a giant corporation here in CA, where they just awarded $186 million because "my boss yelled at me while I was pregnant"
Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Unfortunately I don't think finding another dealer will matter either, once GM says hey your not covered, I think you'll have to deal with the GM's regional manager for all the dealerships in the surrounding states. To get them to change their mind. I had a friend that had a similar experience to yours. Not with a 5th gen 1LE but he was at the dealership looking for some warranty work. The dealership contacted GM to make sure they would get paid and GM said no. He ended up getting it taken care of, but it nearly took an act of congress. He had to deal with GM direct and worked his way up the chain of command to do it. That was over 15 years ago so I have no idea what you would need to do today. Good luck man.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
Gets better, now that your car has been deemed as being "tracked" they don't have to do anything from here on out. Same issue with dealer here. Something can break just driving around town now and they have that in their books and can use it as an out forever. One thing that keeps me on the edge of selling the car and going back to a company that actually warranties their products. Never had these issues with Japanese or German brands. I love the car, completely scared it will just go boom one day because of lack of engineering or design (clutch, oil pump...)
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #9
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Sounds like a class action thing......If they fail to respond, my brother in law is a VERY high priced lawyer in San Fransisco. No attempt to fix a car listed as "track ready" is not going to bode well for a giant corporation here in CA, where they just awarded $186 million because "my boss yelled at me while I was pregnant"
EXACTLY what I've been thinking!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I am not defending any dealer or GM actions. But even if they do fix it, the clutch and/or the slave cylinder, won't the problem just come back again? Or is this just happening in some 1LEs that were tracked?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #11
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I am not defending any dealer or GM actions. But even if they do fix it, the clutch and/or the slave cylinder, won't the problem just come back again? Or is this just happening in some 1LEs that were tracked?
It's not just a 1LE specific problem.

I bought my car to track......wish I bought a 1LE but they were not made yet when I bought mine.

I had problems before I ever tracked my car, second gear grind, pedal not returning all the way, etc. So I bought as many parts as I could to remedy the issues before I ever tracked my car.

No issues after I put the parts in and several track days of abuse. That was over 40,000 miles ago.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
It's not just a 1LE specific problem.

I bought my car to track......wish I bought a 1LE but they were not made yet when I bought mine.

I had problems before I ever tracked my car, second gear grind, pedal not returning all the way, etc. So I bought as many parts as I could to remedy the issues before I ever tracked my car.

No issues after I put the parts in and several track days of abuse. That was over 40,000 miles ago.
So you replaced the clutch, added the second reservoir, and the Tick line? Or something else?

I had plenty of clutch problems too. I gave up on the stock stuff. I also understand the stock master cylinder has problems that cannot be resolved. Not sure why.

I think both Ford and Chevy are washing their hands on the drive train warranty once they know a car has been tracked. I think other manufacturers do the same. They build these cars, highlight the trackabiity, then we buy them. But we are not allowed to track.

The clutch is a weak link on this car. The axles and diff too. LOL.

Last edited by Fraxum; 01-12-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So you replaced the clutch, added the second reservoir, and the Tick line? Or something else?

I had plenty of clutch problems too. I gave up on the stock stuff. I also understand the stock master cylinder has problems that cannot be resolved. Not sure why.

I think both Ford and Chevy are washing their hands on the drive train warranty once they know a car has been tracked. I think other manufacturers do the same. They build these cars, highlight the trackabiity, then we buy them But we are not allowed to track.

But the clutch is a weak link on this car. The axles and diff too. LOL.
When I bought the car I had issues with regular driving, spirited driving etc. no I didn't drive like a jackass but I didn't buy this car to drive like little miss daisy either.

I was having grinding issues with 1-2, 2-3 shifts and the clutch pedal not returning or not fully returning.

I took it to a few dealers several times and they were of no help and said the car was operating as designed.

After a good bit of Internet research (how I found C5) I decided to buy a remote resivoir, tick braided high flow clutch line(not the bleeder line), ideal garage master clutch cylinder, lingdenfelter clutch return spring and a lot of motul 600 lol

I also changed the trans fluid which seemed to help. Granted I did it all at the same time so it's hard to tell what did the trick.

I installed all of those parts(later I took out the lingdenfelter return spring since I didn't need it) after a good bit of problem free street driving and spirited driving I took it to Auto Club Speedway several times as well as willow springs and have been problem free.

Still on the stock clutch and stock slave. I am waiting for one of those to go out or act up but so far so good.

55,565 miles on the OD and counting. Granted my drivetrain is all stock.

I am in no way saying that this will fix your problem or everyone else's, just stating what I did and what solved my problems.

Last edited by CHMSC; 01-12-2015 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to add stuff
CHMSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #14
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i guess i dont understand. i have a 2 LT. but i thought the 1 LE had all the components and suspension, etc to be tracked? i am not sure what the OP did wrong to get that response. now, if i were to try to track my 2 LT, then thats a different story. but isnst the 1 LE meant to be tracked?
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote