Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #29
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
My Camaro is as close as I will ever get to having a sports car. But its a performance/muscle car all the way to be sure and not a true sports car

Ferrari 288 GTO--------2425 lbs of real sports car. The worlds first sports car that spawned the term Supercar. Everything else is a bloated pig in comparison today......... 4200 lb Veyron included
Old 09-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #30
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
4200 lb Veyron included
Yeah, well...that's "256mph bloated pig" to you, buster!

Just like we've raised our performance standards through the years (what we consider "fast"). I think we need to up our weight tolerance...otherwise, like you said, everything's going to be considered a bloated pig. There's just too much stuff and saftey, etc in cars nowadays to expect yesteryear weight numbers...
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #31
cliffy
Chevy Power Forever

Drives: 1969 Dusk Blue Z/28, 2015 Red Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Yeah, well...that's "256mph bloated pig" to you, buster!

Just like we've raised our performance standards through the years (what we consider "fast"). I think we need to up our weight tolerance...otherwise, like you said, everything's going to be considered a bloated pig. There's just too much stuff and saftey, etc in cars nowadays to expect yesteryear weight numbers...
Having just gotten back from Pebble Beach and seeing a plethora of those things and the auction results, the Veyron is definitely losing its luster. They are truly cavernous in size even on the interior. I'll take a McClaren F1 and not cry about the last 20mph

I am confounded by the weight deal as well. I realize there is safety to be considered. But a Euro spec Enzo weighs in at 2700 lbs and a US version 3010 lbs. Porsche GT2 3175 lbs. It can be done with safety in mind.........at a price of course.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy View Post
I am confounded by the weight deal as well. I realize there is safety to be considered. But a Euro spec Enzo weighs in at 2700 lbs and a US version 3010 lbs. Porsche GT2 3175 lbs. It can be done with safety in mind.........at a price of course.
Bingo....
Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #33
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
As long as the names Camaro, Mustang and Challenger (R.I.P. GTO) stick around and continue to be manufactured they will always be in a class of their own called “Muscle Cars.” Never liked the term "Pony Car" little girls want ponies. (Might explain why there are so many Mustangs out there "it's a pony car"... )

What’s great is that the 5th Gen Camaro has evolved over the years too in some cases out class and compete with most “sports cars” out there today…
Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #34
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil02 View Post
i like to think of it as a ricer...jp id have to say sports car
Why do you consider it a ricer? What car are you calling a ricer? I call it good old American Muscle! Well maybe not old but American Muscle! I've never considered a Camaro a Ricer! Those have always been Toyota's Honda's and vehicles that sound like lawnmowers on steroids with huge spoilers and all types of racing stickers on them. Maybe I'm wrong if so could someone give me true definition of a Ricer?
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 AM   #35
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
I'd call it a sports car or maybe a GT car. Vettes to me can be sports cars, supercars or exotics if your including the ZR1.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 AM   #36
BeermanSS

to me muscle cars are really more about straight lining it. Solid rear axles, big blocks or at least big small blocks, bad brakes, bad steering, bad suspension, but bad fast in a straight line. I think too that the muscle cars were really the the bigger GTO's, Impalas, Chevelles, Gran Torino's, Chargers, etc. The Camaros, Mustangs, and Challys from back in the day were technically pony cars. Though you could argue that when they started throwing BB396's and larger motors into the pony cars they in turn became muscle cars.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:49 AM   #37
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
to me muscle cars are really more about straight lining it. Solid rear axles, big blocks or at least big small blocks, bad brakes, bad steering, bad suspension, but bad fast in a straight line. I think too that the muscle cars were really the the bigger GTO's, Impalas, Chevelles, Gran Torino's, Chargers, etc. The Camaros, Mustangs, and Challys from back in the day were technically pony cars. Though you could argue that when they started throwing BB396's and larger motors into the pony cars they in turn became muscle cars.
To me muscle would have to do with power and motor size. Now I'm not trying to act like I'm mr. Mechanicly inclined but were I wondering about what your stating about muscle cars having big blocks but would the 426's the SS's not be big block's? I'm no motor conisour at all. But I was just under the impression that the 426 was a big block like the old 427's the Old Chevelles and my favorite car ever 67' 427 Stingray had!!!!! Damn what a sweet car I have to say! Is this not right? I'll be the 1st to admit that I may be wrong! Because I'm just assuming! I just figured the Vettes and Camaro SS's had big block engines in them! If I'm wrong please let me know because I want to know the right awnser!
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #38
HeatherMarie2LT
baby #10,978

Drives: 2010 2LT
best of both worlds!
Old 09-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #39
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
If a car with a lot of power and has two seats, like the Corvette, Viper, Lambo etc. it's a Sports Car. Purely for sport, not for family.

If it has 4 seats with a lot power, like the Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Charger SRT8, it's a Muscle car. Mostly for sport, but can take the family.
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #40
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I totally consider it to be a sports car through and through. Though I would also call it "neo-muscle".

Come on man.... Get with the times, wouldn't that be " Metro-Muscle "

Old 09-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #41
BeermanSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockytophummer View Post
To me muscle would have to do with power and motor size. Now I'm not trying to act like I'm mr. Mechanicly inclined but were I wondering about what your stating about muscle cars having big blocks but would the 426's the SS's not be big block's? I'm no motor conisour at all. But I was just under the impression that the 426 was a big block like the old 427's the Old Chevelles and my favorite car ever 67' 427 Stingray had!!!!! Damn what a sweet car I have to say! Is this not right? I'll be the 1st to admit that I may be wrong! Because I'm just assuming! I just figured the Vettes and Camaro SS's had big block engines in them! If I'm wrong please let me know because I want to know the right awnser!
Well you have to remember that the 426 is hp not cu.in. The engine is a 6.2 litre or 378 cubic inch small block. All of the LS engines in production cars are small blocks. The 5.7 LS1, 6.0 LS2, 6.2 LS3, 6.2 L99 etc. are all small blocks. The big block cars were just that a bigger block. It wasn't really measured in cubic inches. Remember you can have a small block 427 or a big block 427. Its about block size. When measuring in litres or cu. inches you are actually measuring the amount of air the engine pumps through it for one complete cycle of all cylinders from TDC to BDC. Cubic inches or litres is a product of the bore, stroke, and number of cylinders. It actually has nothing to do with the outside dimensions of an engine.

Hope that helps clear some things up for ya.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #42
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
Technically it's a sport coupe. You will not find a automobile classification of a muscle car or pony car listed anywhere as far as I know on places like a manufactures website, Kelly Blue Book, your local tax office or places of that nature.

Muscle car and pony car are more or less nicknames given to these types of cars.

I could be wrong but this is my understanding of it all.
I was watching Motorweek and they had a spot with Mario Andretti and they were referring to the car as a sports coupe,but who cares really just a great
modern muscle car or whatever you want to call it,1BADASS car
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote