Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-29-2023, 12:35 PM   #15
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
UPDATE Black Wing Brake Ducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Yeah I'd love to see what data you get and look forward to seeing your temp numbers
Well UPDATE for you and anyone else interested in the Black Wing Brake Ducts. This item is STILL on national back order but it was suggested to me by my local GM dealer that I would get them MUCH quicker if I supplied them with a VIN number of a Black Wing CADDY so that they could tag my order with the VIN and THAT would give it priority over parts ordered that DIDNT have a VIN associated with them.

So I went to a dealer car advertisement and used the VIN associated with that listing. Let's see if this works better (LOL).
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:31 PM   #16
snicko

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
FWIW - I have a pair on order from one of the online vendors (Trummers I think).. Order went in about 2 1/2 weeks ago and as of yesterday expect to ship in "2-3 days" . .
snicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 01:32 PM   #17
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
Well I have a NA 416 stroker motor that makes more power than a Zl1 1LE and from what I can determine from just asking around I brake MUCH later than most and HARDER.
If you have spent that much money on your engine why don't you also spend money on getting an actual brake kit designed to handle track use. I'd recommend an Essex/AP racing brake kit and you won't even need to worry about brake ducts anymore. Essex has a great article on brake ducts and whether you need them or not. Even shops like GSpeed that race high powered corvettes runs their Essex/AP brake kits without any additional brake ducting.

I don't understand why people are so willing to pay money for huge engine power but then doing everything they can to avoid spending money on the proper brake kit. Spend the money on a proper brake kit and you won't have to worry about melting dust boots, you will have much thicker brake pads to start with, and much better rotors from a cooling standpoint. Once you have an Essex/AP kit you just put the parts on and go. No more fiddling around with brake problems. Not to mention you will save probably 6-8 lbs per corner at the front with an Essex/AP kit.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:16 PM   #18
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
If you have spent that much money on your engine why don't you also spend money on getting an actual brake kit designed to handle track use. I'd recommend an Essex/AP racing brake kit and you won't even need to worry about brake ducts anymore. Essex has a great article on brake ducts and whether you need them or not. Even shops like GSpeed that race high powered corvettes runs their Essex/AP brake kits without any additional brake ducting.

I don't understand why people are so willing to pay money for huge engine power but then doing everything they can to avoid spending money on the proper brake kit. Spend the money on a proper brake kit and you won't have to worry about melting dust boots, you will have much thicker brake pads to start with, and much better rotors from a cooling standpoint. Once you have an Essex/AP kit you just put the parts on and go. No more fiddling around with brake problems. Not to mention you will save probably 6-8 lbs per corner at the front with an Essex/AP kit.
Well you make some very strong points but I NEVER avoid spending money on this car, I can assure you!!! I guess the thing that has made me reluctant to go to ESSEX like solution is this car is a DAILY DRIVER as well PLUS the car for the most part has incredible braking with the mods I have done to the stock BREMBOS.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 03-29-2023, 02:17 PM   #19
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snicko View Post
FWIW - I have a pair on order from one of the online vendors (Trummers I think).. Order went in about 2 1/2 weeks ago and as of yesterday expect to ship in "2-3 days" . .
Thanks for posting. GOOD TO KNOW!!! Maybe the supply chain is freeing up a little here!!! LOL

Greg

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:

Last edited by sr71bb; 03-29-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:30 PM   #20
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Well you make some very strong points but I NEVER avoid spending money on this car, I can assure you!!! I guess the thing that has made me reluctant to go to ESSEX like solution is this car is a DAILY DRIVER as well PLUS the car for the most part has incredible braking with the mods I have done to the stock BREMBOS.
You could easily daily drive with an Essex/AP kit especially since you are in Dallas TX.

I think if you made the investment in an Essex/AP kit you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner and could have avoided messing with band-aide fixes on the stock Brembo system. The stock system is very good for a street car. But with your power level and running slicks...they were never designed for that kind of abuse.

If you try the Ferodo pads from Essex you can switch to the DS2500 for street driving and use the DS1.11 or DS3.12 for track use and not have to worry about burnishing the pads each time. The Ferodo pads use the same base materials so you don't need to burnish pads when switching between the Ferodo compounds. I used the Essex/AP kit on my 5th gen 1LE and used the Ferodo compounds and was very happy with them. I now use Essex/AP brakes on my C6Z06 (550 RWHP) and the brakes have been the one part of the car I have not had to tinker with. Just install and drive!

If you look around there are nice condition used kits that come up for sale once in a while. GLW your brake remedy decision. I already know what I would do.
Old 04-10-2023, 05:41 PM   #21
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Well UPDATE for you and anyone else interested in the Black Wing Brake Ducts. This item is STILL on national back order but it was suggested to me by my local GM dealer that I would get them MUCH quicker if I supplied them with a VIN number of a Black Wing CADDY so that they could tag my order with the VIN and THAT would give it priority over parts ordered that DIDNT have a VIN associated with them.

So I went to a dealer car advertisement and used the VIN associated with that listing. Let's see if this works better (LOL).
I sure hope it does! Seems like a shame to wait so long for something so simple and low cost
Old 04-10-2023, 08:35 PM   #22
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I've swapped the track SS 1LE air deflectors onto my ZLE last season and now have the blackwing deflectors sitting on my tool box waiting to get installed. I badly want a real duct kit like the 1st post has listed but I'll see of the blackwing ducts act any better this season
Old 04-12-2023, 10:42 PM   #23
sr71bb

Black Wing Brake Ducts Installed with PICS

Ok Tonights project was to install these BLACK WING brake ducts. The FIRST shows the STANDARD SS brake duct that was on the car. The SECOND pic compares the size of the STANDARD brake duct to the BLACK WING brake duct. The third pic show black wind duct installed on PASSENGER side and the LAST Pic shows the Black Wing duct installed on the DRIVERS side. Notice that I put some protective covering over the wheel speed sensor wires so that they would not be chaffed if they came in contact with the brake duct.

AFTER I came up with a legitimate BLACK WING Vin Number, I got these within about two weeks. They have a little scoop on them that hangs a little lower than the bottom of the car that collects up more air. Once I go to the track this weekend I will take some TEMP readings to see if these are really effective or not.

Theoretically to get the MOST benefit you want to remove the backing plates that protect the BACK of the rotor but that is probably NOT a good idea on a daily driver.
Attached Images

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:

Last edited by sr71bb; 04-12-2023 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:35 PM   #24
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Glad you got them so fast!
Old 04-13-2023, 05:18 AM   #25
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Glad you got them so fast!
Well really I ordered them 6 weeks ago and there really wasnt any movement by GM to fill that order until we gave them a BLACK WING VIN about TWO weeks ago.

Apparently GM gives a higher priority for any backorder part that is tied specifically to a VIN.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW: