Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 10-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #29
lostwon

Drives: JST FAST
Brake numbers... READ the WHOLE article, folks!

[QUOTE=Mustang Fanboy;9365971]

With that said,

Something is wrong with those braking distances. C&D tested the GTPP a few years ago, and even it had a 70-0 distance of only 149 feet. Obviously, a lighter car with better brakes and suspension (GT350) should best it. That right there throws the entire test into question.

The C&D write up sez:

"One note about the GT350’s braking performance: Don’t do a day of lapping the day before you go to the proving grounds. That’s a roundabout way of saying that the GT350’s 171-foot braking distance is not representative of what a GT350 can do. An earlier GT350 of the same spec did the deed in 152 feet. So, yeah, we think our track day might have glazed the pads a bit. "

SO, don't be so quick to "scan" the article, and don't throw out the whole comparison just because the brake numbers are off.

P.S. The GT350s brakes aren't a whole lot better than a GTPPs. Nor is the GT350 a whole lot lighter. Hence similiar braking numbers.
lostwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #30
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwon View Post
The C&D write up sez:

"One note about the GT350’s braking performance: Don’t do a day of lapping the day before you go to the proving grounds. That’s a roundabout way of saying that the GT350’s 171-foot braking distance is not representative of what a GT350 can do. An earlier GT350 of the same spec did the deed in 152 feet. So, yeah, we think our track day might have glazed the pads a bit. "
That makes sense, as I said I was busy at the time so I just scanned the article quickly...but even the 152 feet is still 11 feet behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwon View Post
...and don't throw out the whole comparison just because the brake numbers are off.
Agree.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #31
Mustang Fanboy
Account Suspended

Drives: Poop
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
That makes sense, as I said I was busy at the time so I just scanned the article quickly...but even the 152 feet is still 11 feet behind.

Agree.
Ditto. I can buy 11 feet...but even that seems a bit off compared to their GTPP numbers.
Mustang Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:39 AM   #32
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by COmaro View Post
Manual-only will save us. Dealers will order a couple, Millennials won't buy them because they can't (or don't want to) drive stick.
Watch it with that millenial stuff haha.....we all aren't that bad. 25 here and have daily driven a manual for the last 3 years (i was a little late to the party) and plan on doing so for as long as possible.

Quote:
The Fanboy Fail strikes again...
My last two cars are 5.0s...2014 GT and my current 15 GT PP so I spend a lot of time in mustang groups/forums and the butthurt over the 1LE is unreal. Just yesterday I said it is going to really hurt some GT350 owners feelings and someone piped up and told me that wasnt a fair comparison, i should compare the z/28 to the 350 and that my performance package car was equivalent to a 1LE. I had a good laugh then schooled him on the price points/performance data you listed earlier in the thread......He wouldn't even reply I am planning on holding out until the spring to see if I can order the new krypton green and am actually looking into dumping my 5.0 before winter hits here in Michigan and picking up a cheap lease to make my new daily on bad weather days. I am so jealous of you guys with one already on order
FlashBang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #33
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBang23 View Post

My last two cars are 5.0s...2014 GT and my current 15 GT PP so I spend a lot of time in mustang groups/forums and the butthurt over the 1LE is unreal. Just yesterday I said it is going to really hurt some GT350 owners feelings and someone piped up and told me that wasnt a fair comparison, i should compare the z/28 to the 350 and that my performance package car was equivalent to a 1LE. I had a good laugh then schooled him on the price points/performance data you listed earlier in the thread......He wouldn't even reply I am planning on holding out until the spring to see if I can order the new krypton green and am actually looking into dumping my 5.0 before winter hits here in Michigan and picking up a cheap lease to make my new daily on bad weather days. I am so jealous of you guys with one already on order
Funny thing is I am coming from two 5.0 Coyotes as well, a manual and an auto one. They were great cars (minus the POS MT-82 in the one). I had a C5Z in there too, and a LS1 Camaro SS and LT1 Camaro Z28 before those...I have no brand loyalty. Mustang guys are full on butt hurt about the SS 1LE, and I don't blame them lol. The car is a mid level car with a performance package, just like the GT PP is...but it's performance is so far beyond that car that it is compared to Fords halo/top of the line Shelby Mustangs which cost at least $12,000 more...

Good job GM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #34
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
Ditto. I can buy 11 feet...but even that seems a bit off compared to their GTPP numbers.
Maybe it's the brake pads? Perhaps the pads on the GT350, being more track oriented, take more heat for them to bite down right and the 1LE pads are more of a street/track hybrid, where they will bite harder at lower temperatures.

The GT350 has some pretty serious brakes on it. The 1LE is an awesome vehicle, but I cannot believe the capability of the GT350 is even 11 feet off. The tires, the rotor sizes, the caliber design and the weight of the GT350 just doesn't point to lesser brake capability...
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:23 PM   #35
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post

The GT350 has some pretty serious brakes on it. The 1LE is an awesome vehicle, but I cannot believe the capability of the GT350 is even 11 feet off. The tires, the rotor sizes, the caliber design and the weight of the GT350 just doesn't point to lesser brake capability...
You may need to brush up on your stats.

The SS 1LE weighs less than the GT350 TP, 3750 to 3790.
They both have 6 piston front, 4 piston rear calipers.
They both have two piece front rotors.
The front brakes on the SS 1LE are only .9" smaller in diameter.
The SS 1LE during Motor Trends Best Drivers Car testing stopped from 60 in only 94'. Out of the 12 cars they tested, it was only beat by the Viper ACR. It was one of the shortest stops they ever recorded.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mclar...t-drivers-car/
Old 10-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #36
FlashBang23

Drives: 2017 1LE
Quote:
Funny thing is I am coming from two 5.0 Coyotes as well, a manual and an auto one. They were great cars (minus the POS MT-82 in the one). I had a C5Z in there too, and a LS1 Camaro SS and LT1 Camaro Z28 before those...I have no brand loyalty. Mustang guys are full on butt hurt about the SS 1LE, and I don't blame them lol. The car is a mid level car with a performance package, just like the GT PP is...but it's performance is so far beyond that car that it is compared to Fords halo/top of the line Shelby Mustangs which cost at least $12,000 more...

Good job GM.
Same here, zero brand loyalty. I'm a simple man, I like cars that are fast and loud and come with a manual trans lol. Before my 5.0s I had a G8 GT and loved that too. I was looking at 1LEs when I purchased each of my mustangs but I just got such great incentives that spending a lot more on one just didn't make financial sense. GM is killing it right now - the Vette and camaro are absolute works of art and the Chevy SS/ATS & CTS V are pretty bad too.....just wish they didn't cost so much. The price of those vehicles was making me nervous that the 1LE was going to be in the low 50ks
FlashBang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #37
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Same here, zero brand loyalty. I'm a simple man, I like cars that are fast and loud and come with a manual trans lol. Before my 5.0s I had a G8 GT and loved that too. I was looking at 1LEs when I purchased each of my mustangs but I just got such great incentives that spending a lot more on one just didn't make financial sense. GM is killing it right now - the Vette and camaro are absolute works of art and the Chevy SS/ATS & CTS V are pretty bad too.....just wish they didn't cost so much. The price of those vehicles was making me nervous that the 1LE was going to be in the low 50ks
It appears I am going the opposite direction as you, I am coming from a 1LE(5th Gen) to what looks to be a 2018 GTXX(not sure what 2018 has in store). The looks and the price fit the bill for me these days....I also just like loud and fast, and would like to give the Coyote motor a try. The GT350 is SWEET, but that's just too much scratch for me. Does the 1LE also have a GG tax like the GT350?

I would be interested to see if you land in a 1LE or not in the future though, would like to hear your perspective.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #38
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I dig both cars. But which one will be worth more in 5 years? It is not hard to guess which one will hold it's value better when you consider the beating used CA6 Camaros are taking and the 8K GT350 motor. After all, the 1LE is just an SS option, not a seperate model, although I think it should be. Performance wise they are almost even. I do think that the 8K Coyote derivative would be pretty cool in a 1LE. Ford and Chevy are sharing the 10 speed auto, so why not?
Old 10-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #39
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I dig both cars. But which one will be worth more in 5 years? It is not hard to guess which one will hold it's value better when you consider the beating used CA6 Camaros are taking and the 8K GT350 motor. After all, the 1LE is just an SS option, not a seperate model, although I think it should be. Performance wise they are almost even. I do think that the 8K Coyote derivative would be pretty cool in a 1LE. Ford and Chevy are sharing the 10 speed auto, so why not?
Then add the $5-20K dealer mark up to that equation in regards to GT350's that disappeared right as you drove off the lot. Evens things out I'd say...
Old 10-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #40
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
It appears I am going the opposite direction as you, I am coming from a 1LE(5th Gen) to what looks to be a 2018 GTXX(not sure what 2018 has in store). The looks and the price fit the bill for me these days....I also just like loud and fast, and would like to give the Coyote motor a try. The GT350 is SWEET, but that's just too much scratch for me. Does the 1LE also have a GG tax like the GT350?

I would be interested to see if you land in a 1LE or not in the future though, would like to hear your perspective.
No gas guzzler tax on the SS 1LE, pretty sure it got like a 27 mpg rating actually...
Old 10-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #41
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Quote:
You look.... familiar

Just do it already!
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #42
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Coming from a 14 5.0 ( sold it about 3 months ago )

The car was fun to drive especially as a weekend car. Mine was pretty much full bolt-ons w/e85. Its cool but having to rev the shit out of it if you want to go fast just wasnt that fun. Granted, if you got all over it, the car moves out... but stop light to stop light the gutless low end will make you miss that typical chevy bottom end power.

Im hoping I made a good decision on getting rid of a good car in hopes of getting into a GREAT car.

ETA: The rear end of that car never inspired confidence and second gear was just a smoke show. Like I said, fun car to drive but could kill you if you let it. Thats why you see all these guys wiping out leaving shows. Part of it driver, definitely. But those cars are just tail happy.

Last edited by slick3; 10-20-2016 at 07:00 PM. Reason: 5.0 was out of control
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote