Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
StPeteHyper2.0

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 2.0
Mishimoto Drop-in Intercooler replacement

Debate it all you want, I went with the direct swap for my own few reasons and the results are great. It is consistently steady and heat soak is non existent. I've driven for hours with no heat soaking and did back to back dyno runs maintaining steady temps just above ambient. Even when slamming on the peddle, the outlet temps lower. Whether you choose front-mount or drop-in option, you will be happy with the results.

Attached Images

StPeteHyper2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Much as I like the FMIC option I do like the simplicity of the drop-in a lot. I'd probably go with the cheaper Injen Charge Pipes though.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
StPeteHyper2.0

I bought and waited for everything thru pre-sales. Just remained patient. Discounted and because I had got so many things, I used reward points to lower the cost even more. I probably paid nearly the same as the zzp kit maybe a tad more. Mishi is crazy expensive tho. The quality, packaging, and install directions make it worth it as long as you can work the discounts or find a 3rd party vendor
Old 03-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
StPeteHyper2.0

I don't have many picture of the Mishi Hot/Cold pipes. This is when they were stripped and I had a bung welded for IAT temp. Downpipe also had an extra bung added for AFR

Attached Images

Old 03-29-2018, 10:06 PM   #5
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I get crap for liking the mishimoto intercooler from a lot of people glad you like it. Ya it's crazy expensive through mishimoto you have a few options like the one-time sponsorship coupon or from a vendor which definately a good idea.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:56 AM   #6
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
I get crap for liking the mishimoto intercooler from a lot of people glad you like it. Ya it's crazy expensive through mishimoto you have a few options like the one-time sponsorship coupon or from a vendor which definately a good idea.
It's a well designed unit with many features others lack, also doesn't add a couple extra feet of pluming which kills boost response.
Installed Mods: 25% Window tint | Headlight, side marker and third brake light Phastek tint kit | GM black taillights with Gen5diy LED harness and bulbs | LED license plate bulbs | Gorilla lug nuts, black | GM 'performance' center caps | RS and sheild badges removed
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #7
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Im really starting to like this intercooler. I'm sure with your performance grill speeding up the air passing through, you should't ever have a problem with that location. Im still doing some comparison testing, but just the grill alone with the stock intercooler has showed some obvious improvement between ambient air temp VS iat's when moving. I bet your numbers look phenomenal while in motion!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
It's a well designed unit with many features others lack, also doesn't add a couple extra feet of pluming which kills boost response.
That's why I'd like to see a comparison of:
Mishimoto (or other) drop-in intercooler
vs
ZZP (or other) front-mount intercooler

in terms of overall power generation, before and after heat cycling
in terms of throttle response / real-world acceleration.

I have a feeling a FMIC will be better on a dyno and perhaps from a dig (easier to build boost) So it ends up being better for a racecar.

Whereas a drop-in will be better from a roll (your aforementioned boost response) And will be better for a daily driver.

I could be completely wrong, though...
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
StPeteHyper2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Im really starting to like this intercooler. I'm sure with your performance grill speeding up the air passing through, you should't ever have a problem with that location. Im still doing some comparison testing, but just the grill alone with the stock intercooler has showed some obvious improvement between ambient air temp VS iat's when moving. I bet your numbers look phenomenal while in motion!
It's a good option.. and the grille I swapped long ago while installing the oil cooler last spring. I don't have any comparison temp measurements, but It looks so much better. Being in FL, I was more focused on controlling the heat and we love our A/C down here too. Therefore I choose this route.

Since I have the oil cooler sitting up front at about 180 deg, the ac condenser, then intercooler.. my outlet IATs consistently stay at about 20 deg above ambient no matter how long I drive or how hard I goose it. Even when I've been WOT, the outlets temps lower rather than rise. The air diverter in the inlet side really seems to do the trick. The wing span of this IC gets fully utilized where as the stock doesn't. Only other thing I can say is it requires 2 hands to hold this IC. The stock IC you can pick up with 2 fingers

Attached Images

Old 03-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
StPeteHyper2.0

I'm one of the few still waiting for the 6le Iroc hood also. I'm really interested in seeing how much engine bay heat I can get out of there and how much it affects IATs