Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
How do you know the unit does not have RCA or a custom pre-amp output?

Until someone at GM answers or we either rip the thing apart or get a service manual...

That looks cool but it's not the only thing that does conversion from line to pre amp.

And since this is a Subwoofer thread, not a whole system speakers thread. You don't need to convert all 4 if your going to add a sub.

If the head units do not have sub output people are gonna be upset. I imagine they realized the AC and head are one and put it in the design. Otherwise it would be fail engineering.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #16
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
How do you know the unit does not have RCA or a custom pre-amp output?

Until someone at GM answers or we either rip the thing apart or get a service manual...

That looks cool but it's not the only thing that does conversion from line to pre amp.

And since this is a Subwoofer thread, not a whole system speakers thread. You don't need to convert all 4 if your going to add a sub.

If the head units do not have sub output people are gonna be upset. I imagine they realized the AC and head are one and put it in the design. Otherwise it would be fail engineering.
I agree, that solution is ridiculously over complicating something that is not so complicated. And until we have a car in someones hands who can evaluate how the system is wired, buying parts is not a good idea.

As I mentioned in the other thread, for the dealer to be able to offer an external sub box that hooks to the factory system there HAS TO be some sort of pre-outs (however they may be low frequency only), its probably wired to a proprietary connector, but that doesn't mean PAC or someone else won't make a converter. HUGE problem solved, cheap!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 AM   #17
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
well everybody has some good points. now when it comes to the stock set up you will need to run a hi low converter if you do not want to replace the head unit, and that is so you can run the rca cables to put in your own amp. also i think the only other think you will need is the remote wire for your amp and that you could use off the stock. and run your own power cable and ground cause there wire will be to small and the bigger depending on your power will make a difference in your sound quality. now i am not sure what the camaro comes with as for wiring the system up they might have upgraded but i doubt it. alot of people think fosgate,alpine,kenwood, memphise audio are good but there what ever. another thing it depends on what you want. now are you looking for pure bass or do you want clarity. meaning you hear vocals and bass out side of your car 50 feet away and i mean clean and clear. if so nice set of hertz mill components in the front with one hertz energy sub or mill sub running off one 4 channel audison amp. Also ported box are fake bass you want a sealed box it gives you a more percise hit and solid hit and hz frequency depends on the notes you want to hear.

for example i have 1-12" HERTZ ENERGY sub with a st of avi components in the front running off a arc audio 6 channel amp and i get people asking me what i have in the back and mention how clean it sounds when i am rolling up. but like people say seeing and hearing is what people want to believe it. this audio turned me away from fosgate and jl thats how good it is. look it up www.hertzaudiovideo.com
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #18
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
While I don't work for GM theres 2 things I'm sure of.

1. The dealer sold MTX subs will be powered by their OWN amplifier.

2. However they are connected (probably a pigtail buried in the trunk somewhere) I am sure one of the aftermarket companies will have a converter within a couple months of the car's release to the general population that will allow you to hook up ANY amplifier.

The question that remains is this pigtail that will be in the trunk to connect the MTX setup, will it be filtered for low frequency or not? If it is filtered it is fine for connecting a sub amp and adding external subs. If it is not filtered and offers full range then once the adaptor comes out you will be able to very easily add a new amplifier to the system, then run new wires to whatever new speakers you get for the car, and just disconnect the harnesses for the old speakers.

This we will need to figure out when the cars are available to stereo guys...
ive had my trunk completely torn apart to see what gadget they put in my trunk instead of a spare. and then had it apart to hook up my led underbody lights there and too see that battery and how its hooked up. then ive taken it apart for cleaning and all that..i bought a 10 inch rockford sub from ebay and it fits incredibly in the truck to the right side and squeezes in outta the way.anyway ive looked all over the trunk no pigtail or any hook up whatsoever. so its looking like you either splice into one of the speakers which i didnt splice but i unhooked the 6x9 and hooked the sub into its place and it was absolutely retchid. so looks to me like we are running all the way to the stereo which is bs considering they are selling the mtx combos, does anyone know how to hook this regular sub up..im not looking to pound my trunk off. i just want a punch sub like my fiancees lancer has in her trunk. so im hoping i dont have to have an amp cause hers dont..but i guess hers does have that really nice rockford navi/mp3 ripper unit in it which is a small computer by the way it works so im sure it boosts some crazy amps to fuel the sub on its own..im looking now for somewhere to put that exact same navi system in my car but looks like its gonna be december before gm comes out with theres before i can get the right dash for that kind of system since the dash is completely molded for the stock radio and nothing else..GRRRRR!!!!
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, camaro, compatibility, stereo, subwoofer