Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-21-2020, 05:11 AM   #1
Jukkiz

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1le
Jukkiz`s 2015 Camaro SS

I just picked up my new project last week , so I thought I could start a thread.

Found out that there was 2015 1le Camaro with magnuson heartbeat supercharger for sale in auction, didn`t look too bad in the pics provided so I made a bid and here it is.

After over three months of waiting, picked up with trailer:
Attached Images

Jukkiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:29 AM   #2
Jukkiz

Car has some minor dents and scracthes, apparently some kind of storm damages. Immediately saw that car might be better than I expected. Car was labeled as runs and drives, so checked all the fluids with my brother just to notice that everything else is ok but the missing coolant.

Headers, aux fuel pump… had to hope everything is ok.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #3
SSammy

Drives: 2015 2SS A6 Commemorative Edition
Awesome! Did the oil look normal (no coolant in it)? Have you tried starting/driving it yet? If it’s in working order, that’s a very nice find.
SSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
Jukkiz

Thats what I said also: Awesome! Yes, everything looked normal. Oil was not new, but it was oil, with scent of gas (richer running condition = normal to me). Catch can looked normal too and what was left in cooling system was also clear dexcool.

There was still tiny coolant leak, but I couldn`t see what was the reason. After I got it in my garage noticed that tree branch had punctured heat exchanger, AC condenser and radiator, but luckily not cooling fan.

Biggest body damage is in right rear quarter and rear glass, other is just cosmetic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jukkiz; 03-23-2020 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
Jukkiz

So I changed oil, removed radiators and did little patchwork to hold some water in the cooling system. Bypassed SC heat exchanger.
Also checked couple of spark plugs, not the cleanest ones but should work. Plug type is NGK BR7EF.
Auxiliary fuel system seems to be DSX kit, not sure if stock pump is still in tank.

Did some eyeballing in the engine bay to make sure everything is OK. Noticed that drive belt idler was loose and supercharger pulley size is maybe 3.1", so there could be some boost.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
SSammy

Good, sounds like you just need a few parts and to spend some time checking pulleys, bolt torque, etc. I’d check the torque on the accessories and the top of the engine, just in case anyone took something apart and didn’t finish the job. If you find something loose, I’d remove it and check the underlying parts (ex: loose valve cover-check rockers and head bolts, etc) Fortunately, white is one of the easiest colors for body work/blending, unlike some of the dark colors that show every imperfection and metallics which are harder to match/blend. I’m happy for you, great project!
Old 03-21-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
SSammy

I don’t know what your background is, but if you don’t do body work and you’re planning to give it a shot, make some templates off of the good side of the car and mirror them, then start on getting your body line back and work from there back toward your undamaged areas, getting the metal back as close as possible, within 1/16” or less preferably, before applying filler. You can also shape some putty knives to match the templates to get your fill closer. I’m no professional, and I’m no master of body work by any means, but I have done a fair bit of body work and that’s the way I’ve found works best For me. I’d avoid bondo or any of the cheap body fillers. I’d use a quality filler like Evercoat Rage Ultra.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:27 AM   #8
Jukkiz

Thanks, good info. I have to admit that I might have a short start up video clip from thursday, just waiting to be uploaded.

Didn't check any headbolts or valvetrain, because everything looked left as is when it ran last time. If you ment that people loosen bolts etc. on auction vehicles, then I think I need to double check everything.

Yes, I do everything myself or with my brother, we self learn as we go. We had couple of projects before so I hope this goes ok.

Heads have PRC logo next to valve covers, so I believe these are cnc machined stock heads.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #9
RyangAsh

Drives: 2014 ZL1
You're going to need that SC heat exchanger in good working order. Not really sure why you would bypass it?
RyangAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #10
Jukkiz

Well, by bypassing heat exchanger I was able to get coolant into system, so I could test that everything is ok before I buy new one. Engine radiator was leaking just under filler cap, so again something had to be done. It was still leaking between plastic ends in 10:1 ratio after quick patchwork, but was able to fill the radiator.

So my brother was checking under hood and my friend filmed short start up vid:
https://youtu.be/H9SVHl72nGs (my brothers YouTube channel)

To be continued…

PS received new radiator 1h ago. (not in pic)
Attached Images

Last edited by Jukkiz; 03-23-2020 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #11
RyangAsh

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukkiz View Post
Well, by bypassing heat exchanger I was able to get coolant into system, so I could test that everything is ok before I buy new one. Engine radiator was leaking just under filler cap, so again something had to be done. It was still leaking between plastic ends in 10:1 ratio after quick patchwork, but was able to fill the radiator.

So my my brother was checking under hood and my friend filmed short start up vid:

To be continued…

Ahh, so it was just for testing purposes. I follow now.
RyangAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
SSammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukkiz View Post

So my brother was checking under hood and my friend filmed short start up vid:

To be continued…

Damn, looks like you brought the farmers daughter home late haha
Old 03-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #13
15RS2NV
Ponies are for girls

Drives: 2015 RS LFX Red Hot A6
Nice find! Did you find it in Finland, or northern Europe?
H&R 1.8/1.7” drop, Overkill 80mm + intake ported by AFS, 1" insulator MACE, Accel Super Coils, THR cai, JET MAF sensor, Hurst shifter handle, GPP strut tower brace, CI ice cube tray hood vents (functional) @SemperFiCamaro
15RS2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:39 AM   #14
Jukkiz

No, this was for sale in Dallas Texas. According to Title car is from Plano Texas. If someone recognizes, post info here or pm if you like.