Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Tire Pressure Monitoring System-Inside or external monitors?

As I understand it there are two basic systems, one with internal sensors and the other doing external monitoring. Only reason I care is that using air and goop tire inflators ruins the internal kind so a flat cost you a new can of air/goop and $100- $110 for new sensors.
Am I worrying about nothing?
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
the only time I would ever use the goop would be in an emergency. And that point to have to come back and spend 100 bucks just has to happen.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
steelmart

Drives: Camaro,TA,Syclone,IROC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
As I understand it there are two basic systems, one with internal sensors and the other doing external monitoring. Only reason I care is that using air and goop tire inflators ruins the internal kind so a flat cost you a new can of air/goop and $100- $110 for new sensors.
Am I worrying about nothing?
Good question.
steelmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
I don't know if they are internal or external, but that would be really messed up if they were to be internal and GM supplies the 'fix-a-flat' with the SS'...

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Parker

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Not sure what has an external sensor, but everything I've worked on has the an internal sensor. Two basic types, a flexible threaded rubber valve stem and a hard composite valve stem. They both have their ups and down's, but I prefer the hard ones as long as something doesn't hit it and it cracks(which I've only seen happen once).

Edit: There is supposed to be some kind of sensor safe can of tire sealer, but I carry around a plug kit and jar of rubber cement in my cars.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Top Thrill
BOD 5/28/09 #13485

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
They are the internal sensors that are in the wheels atached to the valve stem.
The "fix-a-flat" that comes in the SS's is OK to use. It will not harm the sensors.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #7
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
Thanks for the info

The "external sensors" somehow measure the rpms of the wheels so if a wheel goes down, it is somehow recognized and reported to the driver info.
I'm no expert so I really appreciate the info provided by the the posters on this thread. Glad to know their is a sensor safe inflator.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Thrill View Post
They are the internal sensors that are in the wheels atached to the valve stem.
The "fix-a-flat" that comes in the SS's is OK to use. It will not harm the sensors.
Not doubting you but what is your source of info?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
Not doubting you but what is your source of info?
edit: i got different information from the mechanic at my dealer, which is why i ended up getting the spare. I was told the goop will destroy the sensor in the wheel and at that point both the tire and the sensor have to be replaced
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
The "external sensors" somehow measure the rpms of the wheels so if a wheel goes down, it is somehow recognized and reported to the driver info.
I'm no expert so I really appreciate the info provided by the the posters on this thread. Glad to know their is a sensor safe inflator.
The system you refer to is not a Tire "Pressure" Monitor. It measures the rolling rate of the tires using the ABS system sensors and if a wheel has a rolling rate change relative to the other wheels it will set a code.

This sytem does not measure tire pressure.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 PM   #11
redjewel

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RJT
I do not like that we will not have a spare either.
All vehicles up to a certain weight are now required by law to directly measure tire pressure which requires a monitor to be installed inside the tire and wheel.
Now using fixa flat has the potential to ruin a sensor. Fixa flat itself will not ruin a tire.
Running around on low air pressure is generally what causes your tire to be unsafe. Usually fixa flat gives people a sense that it is ok to keep driving even if the tire is low and that is the problem. Using fixa flat is usually a messy problem for your tire guy and you should ALWAYS let them know you used it.
OP that got a spare it would be nice if you could let us know if it fits over those Brembose. I would definatley order one to put in the car if they have one that will work.
redjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
no flats for me. thats my plan.

and usually if i have a flat is a slow leak, so if i air it up i should be able to get to a tire shop