Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
P0430

Had this just pop up on my 2011 SS. The car has had JBA high flow cats and a cat back exhaust on it for at least the last 4 years, 26k on the odometer. Still have the stock cats, but wondering if it is the O2, the cat, or need to install O2 extenders. I bought some when I bought the high flow cats, but never installed them since I never had any issues.

Also, if it is the cats and I put the stock ones back on, how long until the codes clear?

Have to have emissions inspections next month.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
CaddyCam

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray 1LT
Had this come on a day after oil change and getting gas. I waited till the tank was empty and cleared the code and refueled. CEL hasn't came on since.
CaddyCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #3
justa25thTA

appreciate the reply, hopefully it will be something simple. Could put the stock cats back on, but would rather not. Really wondering though how long it takes the codes to clear and come back.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
Had this just pop up on my 2011 SS. The car has had JBA high flow cats and a cat back exhaust on it for at least the last 4 years, 26k on the odometer. Still have the stock cats, but wondering if it is the O2, the cat, or need to install O2 extenders. I bought some when I bought the high flow cats, but never installed them since I never had any issues.

Also, if it is the cats and I put the stock ones back on, how long until the codes clear?

That's a rear O2 sensor ineffecienty code ...no biggy to performance. Could either be the sensor or the cat. Put the extension on then disconnect the battery. That will clear the code BUT you also will need to perform N drive cycles to set the O2 readiness monitors to Ready (that's what OBDII emission tester they plug in looks for). Look up Camaro drive cycles to see how you need to drive the car. Post back with your results.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
Jylee

Drives: 2012 2LT
P0430 is a CAT error, can you reset it. If it return, then the CAT will need to be replaced.
Jylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:

If you're not tuning out, I'd put the extenders on. I did put them on when I installed JBA's. Haven't had a code pop for my cats or exhaust in general. Not sure, but with HFC's the O2 sensors could fail sooner than with stock cats. I'd consider getting new O2 sensors as well just to be safe and sure.

If you put the stock cats back on and there are no issues like leaks etc, the codes should clear after about 3-5 starting cycles.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
justa25thTA

Well that was easy. Once I remembered that I was looking for the rear sensors that is. Didn't even have to unplug it, came right out and went right in. See if this clears up the issue.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
justa25thTA

Upon doing some further research into O2 operations, I came across this:

NOTE: On early OBD II systems, the post catalytic converter O2 sensor has no effect on fuel control. The post catalytic O2 sensor was originally responsible for only monitoring catalytic converter efficiency. On most systems, the post converter O2 sensor signal should never mimic or follow the pre-cat O2 signal. That would indicate a defective or low oxygen storage capability at the converter . On early OBD II systems, the post-cat O2 sensor should show little or no voltage fluctuations on a scope waveform, since all the mixture fluctuations are being absorbed by the catalytic converter.

Stating around model year 1999, a new type of converter came on the market, called “Low Oxygen Storage Converter” or LOC. With an LOC, the pre and post O2 sensors cycle at the same rate. These converters are tested by measuring the lag-time between the two signals. A further development of this system is that the post converter signal is also used for A/F correction, but to a less extent.

So does the rear O2 actually play a role in A/F on the Camaro?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
pbeyer2010

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Been down the P0430 road with other vehicles. Typically this code is for the Cat itself and not the sensor. However, since your running aftermarket cats with probably stock 02 sensors you may be lucky just replacing the sensor....

I however never get lucky ;(

SS MOOSE
pbeyer2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Upon doing some further research into O2 operations, I came across this:

NOTE: On early OBD II systems, the post catalytic converter O2 sensor has no effect on fuel control. The post catalytic O2 sensor was originally responsible for only monitoring catalytic converter efficiency. On most systems, the post converter O2 sensor signal should never mimic or follow the pre-cat O2 signal. That would indicate a defective or low oxygen storage capability at the converter . On early OBD II systems, the post-cat O2 sensor should show little or no voltage fluctuations on a scope waveform, since all the mixture fluctuations are being absorbed by the catalytic converter.

Stating around model year 1999, a new type of converter came on the market, called “Low Oxygen Storage Converter” or LOC. With an LOC, the pre and post O2 sensors cycle at the same rate. These converters are tested by measuring the lag-time between the two signals. A further development of this system is that the post converter signal is also used for A/F correction, but to a less extent.

So does the rear O2 actually play a role in A/F on the Camaro?
For all intents & purposes the rear O2 sensor plays no role in A/F ratio, that's the sole function of the front O2 sensor.
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The rear sensor is just kind of there to report how the first one is doing in a way...saying too lean or rich if the first ones adjustments are off and saying oh look a problem based on the amount of gas before and after the cat in the exhaust as its making its own heat in the exhaust being ceramic and platinum and stuff that makes a real low voltage signal. And the signal being too off from the norm it will set a CEL. The first O2 is the one doing the work though moving the A/F up and down.

Heres from a good article

Starting with a few vehicles in 1994 and 1995, and all 1996 and newer vehicles, the number of oxygen sensors per engine has doubled. A second oxygen sensor is now used downstream of the catalytic converter to monitor the converter’s operating efficiency. On V6 or V8 engines with dual exhausts, this means up to four O2 sensors (one for each cylinder bank and one after each converter) may be used.

The OBD II system is designed to monitor the emissions performance of the engine. This includes keeping an eye on anything that might cause emissions to increase. The OBD II system compares the oxygen level readings of the O2 sensors before and after the converter to see if the converter is reducing the pollutants in the exhaust. If it sees little or no change in oxygen level readings, it means the converter is not working properly. This will cause the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) to come on.

SENSOR REPLACEMENT

Any O2 sensor that is defective obviously needs to be replaced. But there may also be benefits to replacing the O2 sensor periodically for preventive maintenance. Replacing an aging O2 sensor that has become sluggish can restore peak fuel efficiency, minimize exhaust emissions and prolong the life of the converter.

Unheated 1 or 2 wire wire O2 sensors on 1976 through early 1990s vehicles can be replaced every 30,000 to 50,000 miles. Heated 3 and 4-wire O2 sensors on mid-1980s through mid-1990s applications can be changed every 60,000 miles. On OBD II equipped vehicles (1996 & up), a replacement interval of 100,000 miles is recommended.

http://www.obdii.com/articles/Unders...n_Sensors.html

So I plan on down the road ditching mine around 50k to be safe and maybe the HFCs too 50k up..sort of a worry time when making more miles on a CAT I imagine with built higher HP and fuel needs. But hey some cats can last a long time and the sensors...

That anyway is why the rear 02s can be disabled for a header install as the signal is not really needed unless you have a problem for it to say hey...you got a problem...And the front ones being located farther away with headers need a delayed response code to be disabled in the tune on most headers. The stock programming it has says it should be at a distance in its response in buttzillion second increments in relation to the exhaust flow from sensor a to sensor b and how strong the flow with air as in its removing pollutants like Sulfur, gas, etc...

Anyway that's what I think. Good Luck
Old 09-03-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
justa25thTA

Well, passed inspection even though the evap sys was not ready. Texas allows one monitor to not be ready and still pass. Good day.