Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

View Poll Results: Which is the your supercharger of choice as a bolt on for a 100% bone stock L99 A6 ?
Kenne Bell 52 16.30%
Magnuson TVS2300 129 40.44%
Vortech V-3 Si-Trim Supercharger Kit 28 8.78%
Magnacharger Intercooled Supercharger 19 5.96%
L99 ProCharger High Output Intercooled P1SC Kit 23 7.21%
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger Street Legal Kit 45 14.11%
My choice is not listed. I will post my choice on the thread. 32 10.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2010, 01:13 AM   #57
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
great then lets get all 4 kits added to the poll - or lets get a turbo poll going
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #58
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
great then lets get all 4 kits added to the poll - or lets get a turbo poll going
I cant seem to change the poll or edit it anymore, but this is a supercharger thread anyway.

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #59
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
This is a GREAT thread! Thank you for the valuable information. I'm a noob at upgrading cars and I've learned a lot here.

I also have an L99 and I've tried to install mods slowly after doing my homework. I currently have a Cold Air Inductions intake, Kooks LT catted 1 7/8 (coated) headers, 160 deg. thermostat, a Borla Touring exhaust, and a dynotune (AFM is gone). (I've also had the Pfadt sport suspension+ installed.)

I have been reading about cams and forced induction. I think I've abandoned the idea of a cam on an L99. It may be more trouble than it's worth. So, I'm still considering the Magnacharger TVS2300.

Will my CAI intake work with the Magnacharger? If I go with the Magnacharger what else will I need to buy or have installed? After reading this thread it seems that the tvs2300 comes with everything I'd need.

I will also add that I want my car to be very driveable. I will not be doing any serious racing, but I might try a day at the track to drive a few laps just to let it rip a bit. Reliability is a must.

Thanks for any comments you kind folks might have.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #60
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
This is a GREAT thread! Thank you for the valuable information. I'm a noob at upgrading cars and I've learned a lot here.

I also have an L99 and I've tried to install mods slowly after doing my homework. I currently have a Cold Air Inductions intake, Kooks LT catted 1 7/8 (coated) headers, 160 deg. thermostat, a Borla Touring exhaust, and a dynotune (AFM is gone). (I've also had the Pfadt sport suspension+ installed.)

I have been reading about cams and forced induction. I think I've abandoned the idea of a cam on an L99. It may be more trouble than it's worth. So, I'm still considering the Magnacharger TVS2300.

Will my CAI intake work with the Magnacharger? If I go with the Magnacharger what else will I need to buy or have installed? After reading this thread it seems that the tvs2300 comes with everything I'd need.

I will also add that I want my car to be very driveable. I will not be doing any serious racing, but I might try a day at the track to drive a few laps just to let it rip a bit. Reliability is a must.

IMVHO - you wouldn't go wrong with the Maggy. I know that the KB kit comes complete, too (depending on which kit you get; but I believe the 2.8 should be every bit as complete as the Maggy), but I really don't think you can go wrong with either. Good grunt down low and great up top. There's a lot more exposure with the Maggy but the KB is popping up a lot more and getting great numbers too. I don't know the warranty on the KB yet, but I believe you can get a warranty, for extra cost, with the Maggy kit, too (with limited restrictions).
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #61
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:

I believe you can make your CAI work with the Maggie. The Maggie is a complete kit. Just order it, install it, have it dyno tuned because of your headers, and enjoy.

I have the Kenne Bell. Beautiful product.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #62
SonnyakaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
IMVHO - you wouldn't go wrong with the Maggy. I know that the KB kit comes complete, too (depending on which kit you get; but I believe the 2.8 should be every bit as complete as the Maggy), but I really don't think you can go wrong with either. Good grunt down low and great up top. There's a lot more exposure with the Maggy but the KB is popping up a lot more and getting great numbers too. I don't know the warranty on the KB yet, but I believe you can get a warranty, for extra cost, with the Maggy kit, too (with limited restrictions).
Yeah, the Magnacharger offers the 3/36,000 mi powertrain warranty.

But the thing that gets me about that kind of warranty from a supercharger company is, what happens if you install the blower, use the canned tune, and something happens to your engine or trans?

Assuming, Magnacharger approves your warranty claim (or whoever does that, maybe a third party warrantor), the limited amount of money you are entitled to will probably not be enough to rebuild a broken engine. And even if it is enough, and you rebuild your engine back to stock, what is going to stop your car from experiencing the same problem again?

And if something else happens after the first warranty claim, most if not all of your warranty money will be exhausted.

Btw, I highly doubt a Magnacharger with their stock, conservative tune would ever harm an engine. I'm just saying.

And regarding Emma, who you were referring to, they would not be entitled to obtain the Magnacharger warranty, because they have headers and would require a custom tune.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #63
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Yeah, the Magnacharger offers the 3/36,000 mi powertrain warranty.

But the thing that gets me about that kind of warranty from a supercharger company is, what happens if you install the blower, use the canned tune, and something happens to your engine or trans?

Assuming, Magnacharger approves your warranty claim (or whoever does that, maybe a third party warrantor), the limited amount of money you are entitled to will probably not be enough to rebuild a broken engine. And even if it is enough, and you rebuild your engine back to stock, what is going to stop your car from experiencing the same problem again?

And if something else happens after the first warranty claim, most if not all of your warranty money will be exhausted.

Btw, I highly doubt a Magnacharger with their stock, conservative tune would ever harm an engine. I'm just saying.

And regarding Emma, who you were referring to, they would not be entitled to obtain the Magnacharger warranty, because they have headers and would require a custom tune.
Another great post, IMO I totally missed the LTs and forgot about the CAI, LOL!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #64
SonnyakaPig

Quote:
Another great post, IMO I totally missed the LTs and forgot about the CAI, LOL!
You'll get it next time. JK!
Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #65
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
You'll get it next time. JK!
Not likely
Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #66
SonnyakaPig

Quote:
Not likely
Old 06-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #67
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:

I can attest to the C.A.I. brand of intake working with the maggie no problem. And making good numbers 480rwhp and 507 rwtq

The angle at the TB is a little off without modifying but causes NO issues. I went ahead and modified (angle cut) mine to straighten it out a bit.

Driveability is no different (if properly tuned) than stock. Except when you step on it! There are guys at 20000 miles on their SC systems without issue. As long as you don't get nuts and try to run 10psi daily (the general consensus and my tuners as well, is that 8psi is max. At least for 91 octane_
Old 06-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #68
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Turbo is the way to go.
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #69
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARMY View Post
Turbo is the way to go.
A turbo system is much more complicated. It has to be plumbed into the engine's oil pan for lubrication and depending on the turbo mfg'er, into the engine's coolant system for cooling. There is a lot more plumbing for the required air-to-air IC. Your under hood heat is gonna be higher as you now have a large metal scroll being super heated by exhaust gases.
And unless you get the scroll size matched perfectly to the engine's capabilities you are gonna have lag (too big) or just not make the numbers you want (too small). And it really is irrelevant as the bottom end of our engine's is not gonna like more than 8-10psi, so I would rather have the instant hit from the SC.

The maggie is 100% self contained. It really is a very nice package.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #70
SonnyakaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
I can attest to the C.A.I. brand of intake working with the maggie no problem. And making good numbers 480rwhp and 507 rwtq

The angle at the TB is a little off without modifying but causes NO issues. I went ahead and modified (angle cut) mine to straighten it out a bit.

Driveability is no different (if properly tuned) than stock. Except when you step on it! There are guys at 20000 miles on their SC systems without issue. As long as you don't get nuts and try to run 10psi daily (the general consensus and my tuners as well, is that 8psi is max. At least for 91 octane_
I really like the way the C.A.I. looks with the Maggie. Sweet setup. I've also been told that 8 psi is pretty much max safe boost for 91 octane.