Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Why Did You Get the V6

vs. the V8?
Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
I did have the choice between a fully loaded v6 or a 1SS V8.. I chose the V8...I'm not going to answer why since you only asked why if I had gotten the 6
Old 06-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Rickscamero

Drives: Infiniti G35 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I did have the choice between a fully loaded v6 or a 1SS V8.. I chose the V8...I'm not going to answer why since you only asked why if I had gotten the 6
I have been getting alot of slack from my cousins because I went with the V6.. I am not letting it bother me, but .. I am considering the V8 (so i guess i am letting it bother me).

I ordered the 1LT, which I have now learned has a governor - but in time I am guessing I can simply just replace the chip... in the ecu to get rid of that..
Rickscamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickscamero View Post
I have been getting alot of slack from my cousins because I went with the V6.. I am not letting it bother me, but .. I am considering the V8 (so i guess i am letting it bother me).

I ordered the 1LT, which I have now learned has a governor - but in time I am guessing I can simply just replace the chip... in the ecu to get rid of that..
They all have a governer. You want the 155 speed? Get the RS package. The v6 will hit it.

I'm choosing the V6 for a lot of reasons. Payment, gas mileage, and insurance are some of it - I'd rather have a lower payment and insurance and be able to afford to mod my car how I like it than just have the car.

With all costs included, I could get the V6 performing, sounding, and looking the way I want for about 33000. A 1SS would be just getting started for that cost.

Besides, its a throwback to my old camaro. Bought it right as I graduated HS - an 86 IROC with the 305/five speed, 90k miles. Made power by revving the p*** out of it, and it handled like it was on rails. I'm shooting for the same kind of thing with this car - straight line performance is important, but just as important to me (and maybe more so) is its ability to hug the turns. Being a bit lighter, the V6 has a handling advantage over an SS with the same suspension. And since I'll be getting a custom pedders suspension, I have a feeling Xanthos will out turn an SS with anything less than a complete racing suspension. Maybe not out accelerate, but I plan on working on that side as well. Shooting for 3600 lbs after all weight reduction, and 400 flywheel horsepower.

In the end, its all about what YOU want, not what your friends think you should want. If you want the SS, get it! If the V8 isn't worth the extra cost, stick with your V6. You'll be happy with either one, I'm sure, and probably be happier if you got the one you want instead of the one your friends want.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickscamero View Post

There is nothing wrong with a v6. Don't let your friends give you any slack.. If you can afford the V8, the extra power and better suspension are well worth it.. A fully loaded 2LT V6 costs about the same as the 1SS.. It is your choice but the difference in monthly payments isn't that much.. The V6 automatic also loses Limited Slip Differential which is in the manual V6.. All those little things make a difference while driving.. If it is interior quality you want with all the bells and whistles, then get the fully loaded V6.. If it is a faster more robust car with better handling, then get the V8.. And yes the V6 will hit 155 with the RS package.. Remember that you will have this same debate between auto vs manual trans.. Many who have driven the auto V8 do not like it while others love it.. Many on here say the auto V8 is slow off the line because it starts off in 2nd gear.. So in reality, in order to truly feel the raw power of the 2010 Camaro, you need to test drive both cars and see for yourself which one you will be happy with.. Or just get the V8 Manual and you know you are getting the best of the best and near Corvette push you into the seat torque..

And I almost forgot about the sounds.. The V8 has a low rumble while the V6 has the standard higher pitched chug..I do prefer the V8 sound myself..