Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #15
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
No stall...m6
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #16
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
claims are like....opinions which are like...LOL, pretty sure also the cams they advertise the hot cam and ASA cam the rating is open headers full timing dual plane to get the best numbers on a engine stand...BTW..... so even at that 525 - 15% for a m-6 or 20% a-6 = 472.50 best ideal number and that's even high IMO....Way high for real RWHP let alone under a load bearing. The specs of the cam more a 450 hp area the hot cam more towards 400. The deal is the ASA cam is for a racing series and its got a good lope and its not higher lift so that makes it nice and tamer for those not wanting to have to change out the springs a lot but still stock springs need upgraded and with most cams have to be traded out over time..in like 25 k intervals best for their health and that of the engine ..... not so much with a lower lift cam as the lift of our stock cam is high comparable with any flat tappet....way high.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Related side note - Does howards have a pretty good reputation or is one better off getting a custom grind done by one of the big name forum sponsors?

Sorry OP, the ASA cam reference ended in a
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #18
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
You are correct when talking about the GM ASA and Hot Cam but what I used (and several others) is the Howards Cams, modern version of the GM ASA cam. The GM version has been around for a very long time with no changes ever made. The Howard version be updated and has things like a different, faster ramp design that is much better suited to our newer LS engines.
I'm always amazed at how many people get so bent out of shape and feel that the only cam out there is a BTR 4 or TSP etc and its impossible to have great results with anything but. Most people I know with 1LE's have been getting in the 390-400 rwhp stock so a 75-85 hp increase isn't that unreasonable with the right mods.

Here is my dyno sheet using the Howards Cams ASA, long tubes, hi flo cats, CAI, and a really good tune.

Best time in 1/4 (not with the F-1's) is 11.62 at 116 mph.

I'm sorry, but don't what else to say...........maybe I just got lucky ??
What I wanna know is how on earth with your power level, you only trapped 116? I trapped within half a mph of you in 2400 d/a air and with very minor bolt-ons. No power adder of any sort. Never cracked the engine open either. Mods in sig. You had to have some really crappy air where you're from.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #19
matar123

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Ls3 Cammed/Blown
Get a magnaflow resonated x pipe with the cam and it will quiet it down just enough that's what I did.
matar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #20
Hixson

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
No stall...m6
how does that TSP stage 4 work with a stock stall? interested, I think youre the first Ive everheard off with a cam like that and stock stall
Hixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #21
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixson View Post
how does that TSP stage 4 work with a stock stall? interested, I think youre the first Ive everheard off with a cam like that and stock stall
He's got a manual, that's why he has no stall.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #22
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
I have the same concern. Not sure why some guys are suggesting these hot cams. Look at the TSP stage 1 kit. Descent HP gain without a big lope. The Magnaflow X pipe is a good idea if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #23
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
You are correct when talking about the GM ASA and Hot Cam but what I used (and several others) is the Howards Cams, modern version of the GM ASA cam. The GM version has been around for a very long time with no changes ever made. The Howard version be updated and has things like a different, faster ramp design that is much better suited to our newer LS engines.
I'm always amazed at how many people get so bent out of shape and feel that the only cam out there is a BTR 4 or TSP etc and its impossible to have great results with anything but. Most people I know with 1LE's have been getting in the 390-400 rwhp stock so a 75-85 hp increase isn't that unreasonable with the right mods.

Here is my dyno sheet using the Howards Cams ASA, long tubes, hi flo cats, CAI, and a really good tune.

Best time in 1/4 (not with the F-1's) is 11.62 at 116 mph.

I'm sorry, but don't what else to say...........maybe I just got lucky ??
We don't discredit your results. A lot of people get caught up in the numbers on this site. When you post you got 48x whp out of a hot cam it could be misleading. ESPECIALLY when you say you dont need springs or pushrods, etc with it lol. Did you have a baseline? Have you raced any other cam only camaros? That would be a better comparison than dyno numbers. Night fury and BTR stage 4s make 460whp on my tuners dyno, so i take dyno numbers with a grain of salt.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #24
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
I am seriously considering the howard asa cam I have 3.91 gears shorty headers cia and want it for autox and 1/8 mile, but most of my friends are pushing me to get the gt 14 cam as its our local shops specialty anyone have advice on this ?
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:20 PM   #25
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
He's got a manual, that's why he has no stall.
He's bound and determined to put a stall in a manual !!!
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list. VDI Scissors doors.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #26
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
I am seriously considering the howard asa cam I have 3.91 gears shorty headers cia and want it for autox and 1/8 mile, but most of my friends are pushing me to get the gt 14 cam as its our local shops specialty anyone have advice on this ?
I'm guessing your having Davenport do the work on the car? That's where I had mine done. They did everything on mine.

I went with the GT14 cam because it is a good blower cam and the guys at Davenport really know what they're talking about. If I was going to stay N/A I might have gone with another cam.

Do you plan on going FI down the road? It doesn't really matter as it is a good overall cam. Not a super aggressive cam but with the good tuning they do you can get some decent power gains.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote