Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
ShAgMaN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS SIM
Hi all from SA, Texas - Wheel concern

Just joined here and would like to say hi. Posted in the camaro z28 forum but no response yet.....this place looks a little cooler anyway. So, I sold my 67 Camaro 350SS clone a few months ago in agreement with the wife on getting a 2010. I ordered a 1SS silver ice met. (couple weeks ago) with the only option of the polished 20's, but now I'm a little concerned. Close up pics have them looking like the just dont fill the wheel well very well. I'm wondering if I should just take the painted and buy wheels that look/fit better. You guys think new tires might help instead? I was trying to stay stock and wont have a lot to spend on new wheels. What do you guys think? Also what do the 21's they sell as an option look like? Pics and comments are appriciated. Thanks.
ShAgMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
One of the SEMA cars had the 21" wheels, rumor has it a wider than factory wheel will fit, how much wider we don't know yet, none of the offset numbers have been released that I know of. If you mean tire circumference too small, well, if you see the car in person you probably won't even notice, it looks good.

I believe these are the 21's
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=sema
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
ShAgMaN

For 4K+ I think I'll pass. Ya, if we dont know the offset I guess it does no good. Good to hear it looks good in person, I was thinking of hauling @ss to Houston this moring to check it out at the car show, but I have too much school work. Thanks man.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Tal

Drives: Old
Wheels are very much personal taste, nobody can say what you will like. I can say I definately don't want anything bigger than 20's, that's about it though.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
t3chfr3ak

Drives: mazda 6
Just lower it. You'll get less body roll and better handling. Getting bigger wheels and lower profile tires really roughens up the ride and makes it much louder. Plus its cheaper and makes the stance of the car look more aggresive. I went from a 225/55/17 series tire to a 225/45/18 and man the car noise increased and the rims lasted about a month. I hit a railroad track and that was the end of those rims.
t3chfr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
ShAgMaN

Good point, I think lowering just a little could to the trick. I just dont like a lot of room from the top of the wheel to the fender. I also went to bigger and wider tires on a car and noticed a big difference in noise and ride. Thats the ticket, thanks dude.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
After seeing the car in person the fender gap wasn't too bad, but for my personal tastes I do plan on lowering the car about an inch all around. It's rare that a car in this price range comes from the factory with exactly the stance that car heads/performance guys want. With that said, the factory wheels (20's) don't seem too small, they look better on the car in person than they do in photos. Also, the sidewall isn't very tall but you're not riding rubberbands either.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yep...what I'd do too. Hold off and see in person your self. If you want larger (which will be getting to that point of too large - just my opinion - and weight will also get up there)..if you want larger, go for it after you see it. But, I think 20" polished would be a nice set up. IF you need to close the gap, a one to two inch drop would be cool. You could always go larger in the wheel area later on and sell your polished to someone who's looking (there will always be someone wanting the upgrade in that area who didn't get it right off the bat too!).

OH! ...almost forgot. The SS comes w/ a different ride height than the LT. Which one were you looking at?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
The only reason I would keep 20's over a set of nice 19's would be to clear the larger Brembo brakes...

Have you guys seen the weight that is projected for the factory 20's and 21's? (Around 35-40 lbs!!!)

They are by no means a high performance wheel which means I may have to go aftermarket to get the wheel weight I am looking for, or maybe a set of Z06 wheels...

For anyone who is serious about racing/tracking this car, a set of lighter weight wheels will be a necessity.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post

Have you guys seen the weight that is projected for the factory 20's and 21's? (Around 35-40 lbs!!!)

Where did you get that info?
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah, I really want to get the smallest, lightest wheels that will fit over the Brembos. I really can't keep up with the discussion on wheels - do we know what the smallest wheels that would clear the Brembos are?

But if 20 inch wheels on this car are leaving "too much of a gap" then wow, I just don't understand our tastes here. There is very little gap that I see, and the 20 inch wheels just look ridiculously huge. This is supposed to be a performance car, not some urban bling cruiser. It almost looks like wheels with a car attached. I honestly just don't get it.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #12
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Where did you get that info?
Someone posted information on wheel and tire weight in one of the threads. I'm sorry that I don't remember who did it, but he did say he got the information from GM. I only wrote down the numbers he reported for the 20" wheels and tires.

Front Wheel__30.00 lbs.
Rear Wheel___31.96 lbs.

Front Tire____31.00 lbs.
Rear Tire_____35.00 lbs.
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
MD

Drives: Beat up Ford Escape WHOO HOO!
Does anyone know the weight specs for the 19's?
MD is offline   Reply With Quote