Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #197
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffnshine View Post
Had I ordered mine I would have gotten the stick but being I have to navigate the so cal freeway trafic. I'm very happy with the auto. And the paddles Really
are fun. Still plenty fast
It's faster...don't apologize...
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #198
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
I can't believe people are still answering this questions considering I ordered my had my 2SS/RS manual in April and took delivery of it on August 3rd!!!

Now the question is which aftermarket stuff to buy...LOL
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #199
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
I can't believe people are still answering this questions considering I ordered my had my 2SS/RS manual in April and took delivery of it on August 3rd!!!

Now the question is which aftermarket stuff to buy...LOL
Sounds like the makings of a new thread...answer: Headers, Cat-back, CAI. What'd I win?
Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #200
null_x86
I'm baaaaaaaaaack

Drives: 2003 Saturn Vue "Toy Car"
Send a message via AIM to null_x86 Send a message via MSN to null_x86 Send a message via Skype™ to null_x86
Personally, I only drive auto if I have to. Sticks are too much fun. Stick shift all the way

www.bmblb.us
910-358-0964

Rally Yellow w/ Black Stripes 2SS/RS 6 Spd Manual - Someday...
Perma-grin started 10-20-09
Future USAF 2nd Lt.
null_x86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #201
Deebo
2SS/1LE GAZ 1 of 221

Drives: 2013 1LE
Look out now...I was dead set on a manual and got scared off it on this forum a few months back. I read a few threads that lead me to believe that maybe the Camaro SS M6 didn't have enough clutch...
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:52 AM   #202
JLBIII

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
Newbi here getting ready to order my Camaro SS2. The car isn't going to be a daily driver, mainly just driven on somewhat open roads that can back up at times so there will be some traffic. I test drove a manual shift SS2 in Sept.and have no problem driving a stick. I did own a '69 Z28 that was a daily driver back in the 70's and several other cars and trucks with sticks.

However I'm leaning towards the auto because of some neuropothy in both my feet where I can't feel the pedals too well, so I'm really torn about what to order. Sucks getting old. I'm just afraid of the neuropthy getting worse and having no feeling for the clutch later on. I'm planning on holding on to this car so trading it in later is not really an option.

I'm looking for performance and wondering how much real difference there is between the LS3 and L99 in both stock form and available aftermarket parts. Any help, comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks
JLBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #203
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBIII View Post
Newbi here getting ready to order my Camaro SS2. The car isn't going to be a daily driver, mainly just driven on somewhat open roads that can back up at times so there will be some traffic. I test drove a manual shift SS2 in Sept.and have no problem driving a stick. I did own a '69 Z28 that was a daily driver back in the 70's and several other cars and trucks with sticks.

However I'm leaning towards the auto because of some neuropothy in both my feet where I can't feel the pedals too well, so I'm really torn about what to order. Sucks getting old. I'm just afraid of the neuropthy getting worse and having no feeling for the clutch later on. I'm planning on holding on to this car so trading it in later is not really an option.

I'm looking for performance and wondering how much real difference there is between the LS3 and L99 in both stock form and available aftermarket parts. Any help, comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Welcome Stock there's not a huge difference between the two as far as performance. LS3's are about .1 - .2 quicker in the 1/4 mile if they have a good driver. With the L99's you still get the option to manually control the car, but it won't be quite the same as doing all the work yourself.

From what I understand, since the L99 has afm and vvt they are a little less mod friendly as far as cams and such. But you can get a lot of power out of the L99's. I had a supercharger, headers, intake and exhaust put on my car and I'm making 501rwhp which is a lot more then you really need haha. Guys are putting cams in the L99's now too, but it's a little more expensive compared to the LS3 guys. If it really comes down to it, you can swap out the vvt and afm components and basically make the engine an LS3.

One other thing. If you get an L99 and decide to go with aftermarket exhaust components, when the engine kicks into 4 cylinder mode it will sound weird. There are catbacks out there that do a good job masking it, but it's just annoying having the car kick in and out of 4 cylinder mode when you're just cruising down the street. I had it tuned out so I didn't even have to worry about it. And it hasn't really affected my gas mileage a lot. I was getting 25 highway the other day cruising at 60.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #204
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
I went with the M6, even though it's been awhile since I've owned a manual car. The biggest reason for this was the poor setup of the Camaro's auto-shifter.

Pleaes bear with me and hear me out. The A6's console stick layout is P-R-N-D-M. Since there are 6 speeds to shift through and the auto doesn't have a gated shifter, it only offers D or M (drive or manual). Now comes the really horrendous part of the A6, the manual shift BUTTONS!! I've seen some references on the board to "shift paddles", what paddles?? Oh, you mean those cheap, plastic wings glued to the steering wheel top spoke?? What a joke those are.

When I jumped into a production Camaro at our local autoshow, I was totally depressed by this setup. Talk about cheaping out on the details. Plus, those shift buttons feel bad too. That immediately made my mind up for me and I vowed to get the M6.

Then when the day came for me to go in and order the car, I tried to sell myself on the A6 again and I couldn't do it! It was just too cheap and low budget a setup. It would have been better if they got rid of those cheap, plastic wings and just had nice actioned buttons. Maybe they'll get it right in 2011, but I can't wait that long for my ride.

Thanks for listening.
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #205
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
I went with the M6, even though it's been awhile since I've owned a manual car. The biggest reason for this was the poor setup of the Camaro's auto-shifter.

Pleaes bear with me and hear me out. The A6's console stick layout is P-R-N-D-M. Since there are 6 speeds to shift through and the auto doesn't have a gated shifter, it only offers D or M (drive or manual). Now comes the really horrendous part of the A6, the manual shift BUTTONS!! I've seen some references on the board to "shift paddles", what paddles?? Oh, you mean those cheap, plastic wings glued to the steering wheel top spoke?? What a joke those are.

When I jumped into a production Camaro at our local autoshow, I was totally depressed by this setup. Talk about cheaping out on the details. Plus, those shift buttons feel bad too. That immediately made my mind up for me and I vowed to get the M6.

Then when the day came for me to go in and order the car, I tried to sell myself on the A6 again and I couldn't do it! It was just too cheap and low budget a setup. It would have been better if they got rid of those cheap, plastic wings and just had nice actioned buttons. Maybe they'll get it right in 2011, but I can't wait that long for my ride.

Thanks for listening.

Those "cheap, plastic wings glued to the steering wheel top spoke" are not the paddle shifters. Those are there to show you where the shifter are located. The actually paddle shifters (which are buttons you push in) are on the back side of the steering wheel. When your hold the steering wheel you can feel them with your finger tips on the back side of the steering wheel.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #206
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
Quote:
Downshifting on a corner, reving it perfectly and leaving the corner drifting. An automatic has no control compared to a manual when it comes to cornering.
Tranmission torque management on an A6 turned off-Much more fun! Those who have done this can understand.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 AM   #207
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Those "cheap, plastic wings glued to the steering wheel top spoke" are not the paddle shifters. Those are there to show you where the shifter are located. The actually paddle shifters (which are buttons you push in) are on the back side of the steering wheel. When your hold the steering wheel you can feel them with your finger tips on the back side of the steering wheel.
You're right about that, but those paddles are worthless unless you're dragging. Try taking a corner and trying to downshift for control; and say hello to a huge accident.
I started off with an A6 and got so frustrated with the fact that my choices were so limited as opposed to having control over my car's shifting that I traded it in for an M6...and I've never looked back.
The next round, GM needs to implement a secondary choice for paddle-shifting with your right hand on the main stick so you can corner and shift at the same time.

Swifty

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #208
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCat View Post
You're right about that, but those paddles are worthless unless you're dragging. Try taking a corner and trying to downshift for control; and say hello to a huge accident.
I started off with an A6 and got so frustrated with the fact that my choices were so limited as opposed to having control over my car's shifting that I traded it in for an M6...and I've never looked back.
The next round, GM needs to implement a secondary choice for paddle-shifting with your right hand on the main stick so you can corner and shift at the same time.

Swifty

I have to agree with you on that. The paddle shifters really only work well when your dragging. If your flying around turns trying to use the paddle shifters you'll have all kinds of trouble. They are pretty much impossible to use going around a tight turn.
At least the L99 has a 6 speed auto that keeps you in a pretty nice spot in the transmission. I rarely use the paddle shifters in my A6. The computer does a lot better job of shifting.
I went from a A4 (4 speed auto) in my 06 GTO. The 4 speed in my GTO had really bad weak spots (around 35-45mph) and (75-85mph). From those starting speeds the car was quite sluggish.
The A6 is a huge improvement over my old A4.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #209
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
I know that. The plastic tabs are just there to indicate up/down for the buttons located behind the steering wheel spoke. True paddle shifters are much easier to reach when your hands are out of position. The Camaro's button shifters demand that your hands are right at the steering wheel spokes to shift, making autocrossing and tracking a little more difficult. I would have preferred a gated console shifter where you toggle the stick up/down for shifting vs the buttons behind the steering wheel.
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 PM   #210
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post

Thanks for listening.
Two positions, 3 modes. Set it in M and don't shift and it will be in sport mode. As for not being able to shift with the buttons while in a tight turn, it seems to me that it should still be easier to do than if you had a manual since both hands are still on the wheel near the shift buttons (assuming you keep your hands at 9 and 3)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote