Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-17-2022, 06:15 PM   #1
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
RPS carbon twin aluminium clutch install Camaro SS

I've been on this install slowly to replace the Spec Mini twin that was in there(18lbs clutch).

On the Spec twin piece; its a very niece piece, revs like a bike flawlessly, drivability is very rough, especially with their slave. Their slave have the bad habit of shitting the seal, 5x so I had to remove the trans 5x. All that for a .50$ seal. The measurement from Spec wasnt available except with a T56, so you have to measure yourself. I needed a custom 2.5''+ ish spacer iirc. Needed a pedal stop too. You need to tune the clutch sensor out too FYI. After 3 years, the clutch was done and the seal was gone again. So my advice is to get a Tilton piece right from the start or go with a stock Camaro or C6 slave, depending on the GAP. C6 slave is shorter.

On the RPS, let me tell ya that Tick was great and had an awesome price, better than the dealer! LOL

Its great because for 150$ in option, that you need,(at that time before inflation) you get a custom C6 slave with a larger bearing adapter. There is no spring on the slave, so the setup might be a tad noisy. Who cares!? Noisy when you depress the clutch thats it. But nothing really (the Spec was like that and no noise really, more the floater discs making noise). RPS likes a larger bearing on those clutch and the stock bearing diameter is smaller and height a bit too.

During the install I noticed several things that needed answer;
-stock slave gets 0.005 gap, which is normal from what I hear, but it means that the RPS is the same diameter as stock!?(that I am not sure)
-the Tick C6 slave with adapter had a .433 gap.

So I called Carolina clutch and asked what i need to run this clutch. They tell me I need a oem ZL! unit and their adapter. At that time, i did not know that the Tick setup was with their adapter. So I order a new ZL1 slave(locally) and their adapter 125$.

I get the parts and see that the ZL1 slave is the same height as the SS one and the bearing is the same as Tick's but shorter. So I am confused. I show em their picture and searched picture online of a stock C6 slave and I see its not what I got from Tick. Tick was right and they sell you the needed slave with adapter, you just need to shim it right. RPS calls for a .275-0.350 gap. So I need a .200 ish shim.

Other problem; the C6 slave in the Camaro trans(different bellhousing is the problem) hits the bellh and the hydrolic fitting are not inline with the window to connect to your clutch line.

So, you need to make news holes in the trans, so it can connects with line and bleeder, PLUS you need to lightly deburr the side of the slave so it sits right.

About the fittings and lines, let me tell you that you should get a stainless steel kit from the start. I thought I need a stock line to fit with the slave, but the adapter are $$ and you're better off with a line kit from the start. I should have went with this because I did not remember I damaged the stock line during the Spec clutch install 3 years ago. And the stainless lines from Spec aren't the same size than oem.

Now I just need to get this all machined and ready to install.

I went with a stock slave adn RPS cause it should be more reliable and have a better pedal feeling for the 1/4 mile. Plus I will be able to sell the car if I need to cause with a rock hard pedal and a undrivable clutch..not good for everybody. Replacement for the Spec was around 1800(for a canadian guy) and the RPS is undestructible and was 3k$ I loved the Spec, but I drive a hi ram solid roller setup on the streets RPS should be a blast and might fix a suspected clutch fluid leak that was making the clutch slip. Fingers crossed that the performance will be better. Something is wrong in 3r-4th gear with the last clutch. It never held the power or the slip was always a bit there. I have a dyno video where you can hear it and see it on the hp curve.

I will add pictures

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.

Last edited by WHAMMO; 05-17-2022 at 06:31 PM.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
WHAMMO

1st pic; from left to right; SS slave, ZL1 slave,oem bearing end, Carolina adapter (longer), Tick adapter(from Carolina but shorter version) and the C6 slave from Tick (no spring). I could have machined the Carolina longer adapter, but I'm gonna return it and save some buck cause my friend works in a big big shop and I'll have all that for free

2nd pic; oem setup height vs C6 slave with Tick short adapter

3rd pic oem slave height vs C6 slave with longer adapter
Attached Images

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:48 PM   #3
WHAMMO

I finally used the Carolina Clutch (great guys by the way, took time to answer even if he was on a day off, thank you Mike!!) longer adapter straight with no shim. Gap is 0.130. even if RPS advise .275-.350, I know some guys who run the same clutch with a tighter gap and it's fine.

This RPS clutch is gem. Pedal feels stock and the big cam feels less undrivable than with the Spec. I am more than pleased with this setup. Clutch shifts nicely at 7900.

Last edited by WHAMMO; 06-05-2022 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
Azurna

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I envy you so much! Congratz on the RPS clutch! I want one to this day, but could never justify the price. Also your shifting at 7900! Wow you are not holding back. Hope you get a new PB soon with that bad boy. Good to see you keeping the manuals alive. Maybe a 10s pass soon?... I've said too much
2013 1le/M6/Daily CAI, LT, TSP Stage 2 NA Cam, E85, ATI Balancer, Ported Bo White TB, Ported Rod Mod Intake, DSS Driveshaft w/Zl1 Rear end, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings and Trailing Arms, PatG Tuned, and Love.
Azurna is offline   Reply With Quote