Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #43
Skillet
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
No, what you're describing is an initial appearance. In most states, you must be seen by an IA judge within 24 hours of your arrest, or you are automatically released. An IA judge simply reviews the probable cause for your arrest, and then determines what your release status should be, if you're released at all. There are many factors involved in whether you're released or not (prior criminal history, probation status, immigration status, etc.). An arrest by the police isn't about guilt or innocence necessarily, it's about probable cause and reasonable suspicion. We don't decide whether a person is innocent or guilty, just whether or not there is sufficient evidence to make an arrest. The courts determine innocence or guilt......
Let's not forget skin color.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 AM   #44
Skillet
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Another thing that really pisses me off about this bastard and other dirty cops is that they were out there every day busting other people, often times for the same exact thing they were doing themselves and getting away with. Just think in the 14 years this scumbag was on duty, how many people he arrested for theft. To me that makes their actions even worse than when committed by a criminal who isn't a cop and therefore should be punishable with a more severe penalty.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #45
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass View Post
Just one other thing since we are on it
Those who said ,,,,, he did a mistake ,,, really !?
It's wasn't a mistake , he and his compadres on that mistake did it over and over again we just don't know how many times they did the ( mistake ) !
The engines were accidentally stolen multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Hmmmmm.....What if it had been a black guy from Oakland that was arrested for this?...I doubt most of the posts would have the same tone as the one for the cop....
It's because they're always guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
Just as the penalty for killing a cop is higher than the penalty for killing a normal person, so should the penalty for a dirty cop committing a crime be higher than that imposed on a normal person. Especially ones who have been getting away with it for years like many do.
Cops are held to a higher standard. Rest assured if/when he's convicted, he'll get more time than a non-cop in a similar situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
Let's not forget skin color.
Sooo true.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #46
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Wow...White cop arrested for theft, etc....he made a bad judgement, made a mistake, innocent until proven guilty, don't judge the rest of the police for one guy, give him the benefit of the doubt...etc., etc.....

Hmmmmm.....What if it had been a black guy from Oakland that was arrested for this?...I doubt most of the posts would have the same tone as the one for the cop....

Just sayin'.....something to think about.....Happy Easter!!!!
I was being sarcastic
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:44 PM   #47
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
One thing that can also be added to , did he use his access to the registrations on those cars owners , address etc through the police computers on our time , and or at home and pass that to his compadres to go and get those cars !?
I just would love to know about that too , so will be the judge when the time comes
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:29 AM   #48
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass View Post
One thing that can also be added to , did he use his access to the registrations on those cars owners , address etc through the police computers on our time , and or at home and pass that to his compadres to go and get those cars !?
I just would love to know about that too , so will be the judge when the time comes
A very valid question. Lots of cars off the beaten path were taken. Seemed kind of like they were located and targeted.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:22 AM   #49
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I've read through this thread and reviewed the article. Yes this was a bad 'apple' who needs to be held accountable and prosecuted. That being said, the one thing I noticed has not been addressed or commented on is that it was fellow law enforcement that investigated and caught him. My point being, there are bad actors in every walk of life and we shouldn't be so quick to judge or condemn groups (of any kind) based on the actions of a few. Should LE be held beyond reproach or question, absolutely, but, unfortunately, there are those that will take advantage of their position and/or abuse their power... sorry for my soapbox, but I grew up with law enforcement, most of which served honorably, some of which gave their lives for trying to protect others. I also feel the same about any other stereotype you can come with.

Last edited by Welker2; 03-29-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #50
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
I've read through this thread and reviewed the article. Yes this was a bad 'apple' who needs to be held accountable and persecuted. That being said, the one thing I noticed has not been addressed or commented on is that it was fellow law enforcement that investigated and caught him. My point being, there are bad actors in every walk of life and we shouldn't be so quick to judge or condemn groups (of any kind) based on the actions of a few. Should LE be held beyond reproach or question, absolutely, but, unfortunately, there are those that will take advantage of their position and/or abuse their power... sorry for my soapbox, but I grew up with law enforcement, most of which served honorably, some of which gave their lives for trying to protect others. I also feel the same about any other stereotype you can come with.
Well said.....stereotypes suck.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #51
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
I've read through this thread and reviewed the article. Yes this was a bad 'apple' who needs to be held accountable and persecuted...
Yes, he should be both persecuted & prosecuted.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #52
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post

What alternative do you suggest? Full duty, Desk duty or suspension without pay? Immediate termination? What about innocent until proven guilty?
That was going to be my point too. It would suck to be suspended without pay for months, then have them say "oops, sorry about having no money all this time. Here's your job back."

On the other hand, I think that when someone is suspended with pay, if found guilty they should have to pay back what they were getting while riding the couch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #53
blackedOUTSS610

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
I actually heard he was just making sure they had proper catch cans installed
blackedOUTSS610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #54
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedOUTSS610 View Post
LOL. Good one.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #55
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Well, the story wasn't all that detailed. What I got from it was that he had these engines in his garage and that they were from stolen Camaro's. It also mentioned that he was charged with felonies involving a chop shop.

What we really don't know for certain is exactly how he came into possession of these engines and ecu's. I really don't know what to say about the chop shop reference. I would think that if he were actually directly involved with that, that any good reporter would have focused on that more. Was that a statement made by the police, or was that an assumption made by either a police officer, a witness, or the reporter? I would think that if the cop was actually involved with the dismantling of stolen cars, that the last place he would hide the parts is his own garage, if I read that right.

Of course the other side of it is that regardless of how he came into possession of the engines and parts, he, like any of us, and probably more so than any of us should have done due diligence. In other words, if he bought these at a too good to be true price, he should have verified authenticity, and reported it if he suspected they were stolen. In this regard, his profession certainly does hold him to a higher standard. But you know, I'd bet there are a lot people that have bought stolen goods from classified ads, that may or may not have suspected foul play. But again, we don't know how he got them.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/201...en-auto-parts/

This report does make it sound like he was running a chop shop though. Guess we'll just have to see how this goes.

What if he pulled the engines from cars in the impound lot that the claims had been paid on, but before they got to auction. Still illegal, but not like he actually stole the cars, are bought them directly from the thieves. That's just a thought, as unlikely as it might be.

Last edited by MrChrisLS3; 03-29-2016 at 01:41 PM.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #56
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedOUTSS610 View Post
It's incorrect. Actually, he discovered the engines didn't have catch cans installed & figured they were gonna blow anyway.