Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Flashing red light to scare thieves?

I assume this flashing red light at the base of my windshield is supposed to scare away thieves? Does the 5th gen have any real alarm system built in? I'm too lazy to go look for my manual and read it
Attached Images

GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
It lets you know the alarm is set. If I push lock on my fob once it locks the doors. If I push it again the horn beeps.

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
the horn will sound if you open the door without pressing the fob to unlock it first.after 10 seconds a lazer comes out of the dash and incinerates the driver.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
the horn will sound if you open the door without pressing the fob to unlock it first.after 10 seconds a lazer comes out of the dash and incinerates the driver.
I hope mine doesn’t have that. With Chevy’s reliability, I’d hit a pothole and be vaporized.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
didnt think about THAT...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
the horn will sound if you open the door without pressing the fob to unlock it first.
Also the next time you start the car, you will get a notification that says "Attempted Theft".

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Why not read the manual? Then you too can answer questions about the Camaro.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #8
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Why not read the manual? Then you too can answer questions about the Camaro.
Okay - I just did and I am now an expert on this subject - I saw no mention of a lazer - LOL. One thing to note is that while it says the alarm will go off if the driver door, passenger door, trunk, or hood is opened (without first hitting the unlock button) I was able to reach in (my vert top was down) and open my glove compartment to get my owner’s manual out without an alarm going off Another interesting thing is you only have to press the lock button once to activate the alarm, but there is a 30 second delay before it arms. If you press it twice though it bypasses the 30 second delay and arms immediately.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #9
DrLove38

Drives: 2013 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
Okay - I just did and I am now an expert on this subject - I saw no mention of a lazer - LOL. One thing to note is that while it says the alarm will go off if the driver door, passenger door, trunk, or hood is opened (without first hitting the unlock button) I was able to reach in (my vert top was down) and open my glove compartment to get my owner’s manual out without an alarm going off Another interesting thing is you only have to press the lock button once to activate the alarm, but there is a 30 second delay before it arms. If you press it twice though it bypasses the 30 second delay and arms immediately.
You Da Man
DrLove38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
I assume this flashing red light at the base of my windshield is supposed to scare away thieves? Does the 5th gen have any real alarm system built in?
Considering how easy 5th gens are to steal, I'd say no, there is no real alarm system. At least nothing of any significance keeping it from being stolen.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
farm rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Considering how easy 5th gens are to steal, I'd say no, there is no real alarm system. At least nothing of any significance keeping it from being stolen.
Easy to steal??? Explain

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1985 IROC-Z Red
Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #12
Low Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm rat View Post
Easy to steal??? Explain
Camaro theft is an epidemic. Especially in the San Francisco Bay area. Camaros can be stolen and driven away in just over a minute with the thieves barely making a sound.

They cut the bumper or kick in the fog lamp to get access to the horn and cut the wires. That way there is no sound from the "alarm" when they get the door open. They then open the hood, unplug the ECU and swap in their own. Then they disable OnStar, start the car and drive away. A couple days later the car is found stripped.

They're pretty successful too, because a hundred or so according to law enforcement have been stolen in the area and there really haven't been any arrests and they haven't slowed down. They're stealing them from owners driveways, parking lots at malls, workplaces, stores, schools and from dealerships.

Owners like myself have started installing starter disablers and some are using wheel boots others are installing an ECU block off brackets.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #13
farm rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Camaro theft is an epidemic. Especially in the San Francisco Bay area. Camaros can be stolen and driven away in just over a minute with the thieves barely making a sound.

They cut the bumper or kick in the fog lamp to get access to the horn and cut the wires. That way there is no sound from the "alarm" when they get the door open. They then open the hood, unplug the ECU and swap in their own. Then they disable OnStar, start the car and drive away. A couple days later the car is found stripped.

They're pretty successful too, because a hundred or so according to law enforcement have been stolen in the area and there really haven't been any arrests and they haven't slowed down. They're stealing them from owners driveways, parking lots at malls, workplaces, stores, schools and from dealerships.

Owners like myself have started installing starter disablers and some are using wheel boots others are installing an ECU block off brackets.
Geeez. How do they get them started? A slide hammer to the ignition tumbler?

What is the purpose of swapping out the ECU?

Out here we don't have near the problem...yet

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1985 IROC-Z Red
Old 07-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #14
Low Saturn

They get them started the old fashioned way, breaking the ignition switch or using a screwdriver.

The swapped ECM allows the car to be started without a key. I'm sure there's other programming changes that make it easier to steal too.

GM really shouldn't of made all the cars "security" in one easy to access module.