Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
What is on your Performance Wish List

Now that I finally received My 2013 ZL-1 we will be looking at all aspects of Performance modifications, applying 30 Years of Performance experience along the way.

I would be interested to hear what your Personal Wish list is for this car.

Where do you think the car is weak and what would you like to see improved?

Lymrock Park Road Coarse is just an hour away so Testing will commence ASAP.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Ted, If you could definitely figure out why folks are getting weak performance for a 580 hp car (GM claims 11.9, most I see are low 12s) and figure out a fix for it without voiding the warranty it would be much appreciated and i would pay! If its just a pulling timing thing with heat, then lets figure out a permanent fix for that (not just a larger resovoir) your tremendous expertise is much appreciated!!!

T
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Kmax

Drives: 2012 ZL1 125HP kit , EIBACH springs
I'd like to know what my max horsepower goal I should set before the cats could become prone to damage. Living in Mass, I would want to keep it legal and would like to keep the stock exhaust. By the way congrat's on finally getting your Z.
Kmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Taking it to Limerock? Nice! I got to stop by for a ride.....
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Pretty much my plans are for:
Oil Catch Can
Heat Exchanger
Supercharger Resevoir
Intake
Headers
Exhaust
Tune

I would like a less complicated to install heat exchanger than the ones currently out on the market.
I dont need the worlds biggest fire breathing monster.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
FSTORG5
Fast Orange

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Ted, If you could definitely figure out why folks are getting weak performance for a 580 hp car (GM claims 11.9, most I see are low 12s) and figure out a fix for it without voiding the warranty it would be much appreciated and i would pay! If its just a pulling timing thing with heat, then lets figure out a permanent fix for that (not just a larger resovoir) your tremendous expertise is much appreciated!!!

T
This would be a great start. Understanding what is happening here will set the priority for stage upgrades starting with mods that don't require a tune and up from there. And you know what is first on my wish list
FSTORG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
jimmy5

I think it all has to do with the heat pulling timing from it honestly. I dont think the pump is inadequate, but the resevoir certainly is. The pump isn't the greatest in the world by any means, but I think putting a larger resevoir would help considerably.

Anyone know of any additives you can put in the resevoir as it is to help with temps?
Old 08-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
jlbabb

Drives: 1969 502 4 sp, 2013 ZL1, 2008 Z06
Stage 1

Headers
Cold air
Pulley?
Mild to wild
Dyno tune
Drag radials

Stage 2

???????

Stage 3

???????

That's part of the fun. Figuring out what to do next. What is the advantage of an oil chatch can & supercharger res?
jlbabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
jimmy5

keep oil out of the intake, increase cooling capacity of heat exchanger into a supercharger
Old 08-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I'm probably getting a ZL1 in the '14 model year. I think what would be real nice would be a performance bump package that could be completely reversible if warranty needs arise. So no tuning, irreversible part mods... With such a pricey drivetrain and a 100K warranty, keeping that warranty and having a little boost to performance would be nice.

So, stuff like..... HF cats, CAI, scoop, intercooler, resevoir, pump (whatever it takes to improve intercooler and reduce heat soak), coated shorties sized for the LSA power level, anything else performance wise that doesn't affect the tune....

I think that would be a neat challenge - to see how much improvement could be done, but staying on the stock tune and able to put it back to bone stock.

I did that with a '10 SS, and it was nice to be able to put it back to stock to get some oil leaks fixed and a trans issue under warranty. Then I put it back to stock again at trade in time and got a great trade in value for a '12 SS.

I think there is going to be a market for those that want all out performance and no warranty, and a market for less of a hp bump but still 100% reversible and no tune.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #11
Hard Parker
OMWTFYB

Drives: ZL1
I know this is short...but something different outside the norm...maybe things to make the stock car run better...or good bang for buck things to improve the car while keepin it a zl1 rather than a 1000hp car that started as a zl1...jus something minor and tasteful

Click HERE to follow my build!!
Click HERE to follow me on Instagram

#savethemanuals
Hard Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post

T
Honestly all it takes is a good set of Drag wheels and tires and you can go 11.40 or better with a little practice
Old 08-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmax View Post
I'd like to know what my max horsepower goal I should set before the cats could become prone to damage. Living in Mass, I would want to keep it legal and would like to keep the stock exhaust. By the way congrat's on finally getting your Z.
80-100 over stock is simple, We do a cold air kit crank, supercharger and Idler pulleys, SCT tuner and JRE Custom Dyno tune and your there.

Thanks is was a long 9 month Wait.

Ted.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
Taking it to Limerock? Nice! I got to stop by for a ride.....
Yes that is the Plan, I have it here today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
Pretty much my plans are for:
Oil Catch Can
Heat Exchanger
Supercharger Resevoir
Intake
Headers
Exhaust
Tune

I would like a less complicated to install heat exchanger than the ones currently out on the market.
I dont need the worlds biggest fire breathing monster.
You missed pulley system upgrades which will be necessary to make more power, this is where your biggest gains will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
I think it all has to do with the heat pulling timing from it honestly. I dont think the pump is inadequate, but the resevoir certainly is. The pump isn't the greatest in the world by any means, but I think putting a larger resevoir would help considerably.

Anyone know of any additives you can put in the resevoir as it is to help with temps?
Straight Water with Water wetter will give the best heat transfer rate, just be sure you don't store in a frozen climate without antifreeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbabb View Post
Stage 1

Headers
Cold air
Pulley?
Mild to wild
Dyno tune
Drag radials

Stage 2

???????

Stage 3

???????

That's part of the fun. Figuring out what to do next. What is the advantage of an oil chatch can & supercharger res?
Agreed, that is what this thread is about, Catch cans keep oil vapors out of the supercharger and intake system which an lead to detonation, carbon build up on valves and pistons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I'm probably getting a ZL1 in the '14 model year. I think what would be real nice would be a performance bump package that could be completely reversible if warranty needs arise. So no tuning, irreversible part mods... With such a pricey drivetrain and a 100K warranty, keeping that warranty and having a little boost to performance would be nice.

So, stuff like..... HF cats, CAI, scoop, intercooler, resevoir, pump (whatever it takes to improve intercooler and reduce heat soak), coated shorties sized for the LSA power level, anything else performance wise that doesn't affect the tune....

I think that would be a neat challenge - to see how much improvement could be done, but staying on the stock tune and able to put it back to bone stock.

I did that with a '10 SS, and it was nice to be able to put it back to stock to get some oil leaks fixed and a trans issue under warranty. Then I put it back to stock again at trade in time and got a great trade in value for a '12 SS.

I think there is going to be a market for those that want all out performance and no warranty, and a market for less of a hp bump but still 100% reversible and no tune.
I like this Idea and will test components to see where we can take it on the stock tune files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayon_2489 View Post
I know this is short...but something different outside the norm...maybe things to make the stock car run better...or good bang for buck things to improve the car while keepin it a zl1 rather than a 1000hp car that started as a zl1...jus something minor and tasteful
This is where it starts some stop some don't it is all about personal satisfaction.

Thank you all for your input we will put it to good use.

More comments welcome.

Ted.