Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Hammertoad

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Short travel lifters

Anyone running comps short travel lifters? Curious to the preload and push rod length used
Hammertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Why? and pre-load is a factory spec...push-rod length gets measured after cam/lifter/rocker is in with a special length checking tool...then you order....good luck..
Old 07-04-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Hammertoad

Guess I assumed the base circle for all cams in a ls3 would end up being the same.... In return pushrod length would be the same. I was curious to the preload to see what people were running and if they've had problems with valve train noise or not with certain preloads
Old 07-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I've used them, they fell apart twice. Clips came out the top on an over-rev whoops. I switched to Johnson short travel race, about 3x the cost, but worth it for perfection. Those Comps appear to be price leader junk, I wouldn't be surprised if from a Chinese supplier. The Johnsons are US made.

I use them in a road course race car. The short travel race lifters of any brand are for racing when using a hyd roller. Not so great for street.

For street, you want reg travel. Johnson's reg travel drop in lifters are top notch.

Either one, short travel race or reg travel street, there is only one way to get the preload correct. Must use a checker tool and measure. Find out from the lifter supplier you chose what the total plunger travel is of that lifter. Us the PR tool to determine a PR length that puts it right in the middle of the plunger travel.

Can't assume base circle, or any of the other factors, must use a measuring tool.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Hammertoad

Yea I have the push rod checker and by no means was I gonna just go by the forum.... I was just interested in what guys were running. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna try the johnsons.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I've had short travel lifters.
They were always fun until the next truck stop.