Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Best bulbs for Halogen Headlamps???

Would like to know what the best bulb is for the Halogen headlamps that will give them a white or blueish white color, something that is closest to the HID color and gives off absolutely no shade yellow!!! I hear some people say Silverstars, others say Ultrastars, which is best? I think it's the Silverstars that work best to accomplish this but want to ask others who have experience with each bulb.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
I use Ultra in my other cars since they are the whitest. Silverstar also makes a ZXE that is suppose to be more like HID but you pay more than the Ultra and they are not brighter than the Ultra just bluer. If your headlights are also drl they will burn out faster. My friend has to replace his yearly on his gmc.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
byrosol
Thunderclap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IBM (LS3)
I have the Silverstar ZXE, the highest rated bulb you can get. I was very disappointed. There was just a minimum difference from the stock lamps I was using. I won’t purchase again. Maybe since I have projector headlights now, that makes them look different? *shrug*

Keep in mind bright bulbs like these have a limited life due to the high output. (Rated 1 year on the box ) I try not to use them as DRLs for that reason. Instead I use my halos as DRL’s

Maybe someone else had a better experience with them, but not I.
- 20% tint
- Spyder CCFL Halo Projector Headlights
- Barton Pistol Grip Shifter
- Bumblebee custom stripe kit
byrosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
BluePhoenix

Yeah, one of the things I hate on non-RS cars is the Headlamp's are the DRL's. I know 5thGenDIY has a harness but at $170 it's the same price and same set up as the RS conversion one and to me the non-RS headlamps aren't worth spending that much into them. Not cost effective.

How do you like the CCFL Projector kit you have?

Old 05-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
byrosol
Thunderclap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IBM (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
Yeah, one of the things I hate on non-RS cars is the Headlamp's are the DRL's. I know 5thGenDIY has a harness but at $170 it's the same price and same set up as the RS conversion one and to me the non-RS headlamps aren't worth spending that much into them. Not cost effective.

How do you like the CCFL Projector kit you have?

It's really cool, especially for non RS headlights. I tied the inverters which power the halos into the parking light harness (IIRC the wires are blinker, parking lights, then ground).

I like the CCFL's they are very bright during the day, the only thing is the instructions that came with these are terrible. Also the inverters themselves can be a pain. I don't think the ones they provide are water proofed, so you really have to put them in a spot thats hidden since the under carriage is so exposed.

If i had to do it again, i would have gone with a different manufacturer and gotten Eagle eye halos for non rs cars.
- 20% tint
- Spyder CCFL Halo Projector Headlights
- Barton Pistol Grip Shifter
- Bumblebee custom stripe kit
byrosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
BluePhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacpac View Post
I use Ultra in my other cars since they are the whitest. Silverstar also makes a ZXE that is suppose to be more like HID but you pay more than the Ultra and they are not brighter than the Ultra just bluer. If your headlights are also drl they will burn out faster. My friend has to replace his yearly on his gmc.
Main thing about what I'm looking for is the coloring of the light and for it to at least shine better light than stock halogen bulbs.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
I bought some here: http://www.eurodezigns.com/

I think that they are brighter and have more of the bright white with bluish look.
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote