Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
The V-6 Camaro exists for one reason only. To reach a bigger sales market, period. I personally wish car manufactures would NOT do that, but I understand life is all about making money. The only American car I can think of at the moment that does not compromise and lower its standards for the sake of the all mighty dollar is the Dodge (no longer, now SRT) Viper. If you can think of other American cars post them, please. Lets take the Mustang, same thing, V-6, much less expensive which results in more sales. The corvette, same thing, the Grand Sport is half the price of the ZR1.

In my world (if I where King or make that Queen) the American Muscle Cars would be revered and worshipped. Why, because there would be none and I mean NO Compromising. Look back in the history books, the Mustang at one time could be purchased with a four cylinder. How insulting is that, can you imagine GM announcing "later this year we will introduce our new FOUR CYLINDER CAMARO". WHAT? It does 0 to 60 in 8.4 seconds! OMG shoot me now! Back in my world, V-8s only, SS, 1LE, or ZL1 would be your choices. Options would include most of the mods you see being done now, but they would be factory. I'd also add a Flame Thrower Exhaust Kit as a factory option. Something kinda cool about a two foot flame bursting out of the exhaust as you go thru the gears! Unfortunately, in the real world it's all about money, money, money!
I sure am glad I don't live in that world. At least in the real world I can easily afford a fun to drive reasonably powerful, beautiful car. (the V6!) I could have went with the SS, but I decided it wasn't worth it to me. Thats not a knock on the V8....I have mucho respect!

If this car wasn't such a porker and had the gearing available, this V6 would be on par with the 05 - 09 Mustang GTs. Thats pretty damn quick (not that some of the V8 only boys would care)

There are a couple V6 mustangs running simple bolt ons, gears, and tires (no forced induction) that have hit high 12s in the quarter mile. Thats plenty fast...for a damn V6 lol. Of course I know that is far from the norm, but shows it can be done.

American pony cars have always been steered toward the everyday, average person. This does not water down the brand.

You want something that says status, then by all means go purchase that Viper, or that Corvette.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #16
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
The V-6 Camaro exists for one reason only. To reach a bigger sales market, period. I personally wish car manufactures would NOT do that, but I understand life is all about making money. The only American car I can think of at the moment that does not compromise and lower its standards for the sake of the all mighty dollar is the Dodge (no longer, now SRT) Viper. If you can think of other American cars post them, please. Lets take the Mustang, same thing, V-6, much less expensive which results in more sales. The corvette, same thing, the Grand Sport is half the price of the ZR1.

In my world (if I where King or make that Queen) the American Muscle Cars would be revered and worshipped. Why, because there would be none and I mean NO Compromising. Look back in the history books, the Mustang at one time could be purchased with a four cylinder. How insulting is that, can you imagine GM announcing "later this year we will introduce our new FOUR CYLINDER CAMARO". WHAT? It does 0 to 60 in 8.4 seconds! OMG shoot me now! Back in my world, V-8s only, SS, 1LE, or ZL1 would be your choices. Options would include most of the mods you see being done now, but they would be factory. I'd also add a Flame Thrower Exhaust Kit as a factory option. Something kinda cool about a two foot flame bursting out of the exhaust as you go thru the gears! Unfortunately, in the real world it's all about money, money, money!
1) Muscle Car era died a long time ago, welcome to Modern Muscle...it has been around since 1980s
2) You drive a Camaro, they have always had 6 bangers so either you don't drive a Muscle Car or you don't understand the history.
3) The new turbo 4s are nothing like the old 4s you reference above.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
There is nothing particularly unique about the Camaro's V6. It's basically the V6 GM uses now in everything that has a V6 (except the pick-up truck V6s).

Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler, Hyundai, etc....they all have similar V6s (similar displacement, DOHC, high revving, etc...) that like GM's 3.6L V6 put out in the 270 to 300 range for power in their "normal" cars, but are capable of being tuned up past 300 for sports cars (Camaro, Mustang, 370Z, Genesis, Challenger). GM's V6s tend to be on the high end of the output range of most those cars/brands, mainly because they have adopted direct injection more than the others.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #18
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
who you gonna race?

street racing is illegal
the speed limit is a max of 65mph in most places except some rural areas.

you wanna race buy a car and make it a purpose built track car..

I personally don't get this mentality of this car can beat that car, who gives a rats ass? The speed limits are 25-65mph in this country... Who cares what car can get to the next red light faster?

The majority of the people that buy a car buy it for 1 reason, to get then from point a to point b.

The only other reason most people buy a car is for their envisioned "status" symbol "what I got is better 'n what you got mentality"

The 1%ers that buy for racing are TRUE enthusiasts and they build their rides to perform and they sure as hell don't buy the base model v6 for that purpose.

---

If the v6 Mustang is "faster" in your mind, because some idiot magazine that gets paid by the sponsorship of the cars they review says so, then buy the damn Mustang..

I drive what I drive because I like it, couldn't care less what is faster, there will always be something faster. Drive what moves you.

I have no brand loyalty, I have owned Ford, Chevy, and Chrysler.. Personally I will never put my name on the title or a loan for a foreign car, my wife has, but not me.. American or I walk..
Old 02-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
soo you bought the v6 and NOW your asking what so special about it?
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #20
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
1) Muscle Car era died a long time ago, welcome to Modern Muscle...it has been around since 1980s
2) You drive a Camaro, they have always had 6 bangers so either you don't drive a Muscle Car or you don't understand the history.
3) The new turbo 4s are nothing like the old 4s you reference above.
I do understand the history, money, money, money, that's the only factor. And yes, I think it does "water down" the American Muscle Car, greatly. They don't do this out of the kindness of their hearts, money, money, money, that's what makes the corporate world go round. Seriously, lets look at the Supercars of the world, really a Lamborghini or a Ferrari with an affordable model so "everyone" can participate and fit it into their budget. That would be the DEATH of the Supercar. The Viper is the only American car I can think of that said; screw that b.s., we're building a Supercar, and no "watered down" versions of it either. Just wish they had done that w/the Camaro. Create this monstrous beast, it has the look, that has only one purpose, to be the baddest, ferocious machine on the market. Next someone will say, maybe the government should subsidize the Lamborghini and the Ferrari so everyone can have one. Give me a break. So to answer # 2. Above, the reason they have always had 6s, money, money, money! Money first, greatest car second, or third, forth,......and so on.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:

What? They have ALWAYS had V6 offerings and if I am not mistaken, the Camaro also offered a 4 banger for a short time in the 80s, so what? Thes pony cars have always offered lower priced uptions since they were produced starting with the 64 1/2 Mustang. It would be against what they stand for if only V8s were offered. Same if there was only 1 Corvette model. you realize if we went with what the origional Corvette had it would be a V6/automatic ONLY? Viper is an exception. It is expensive, it has no need to sell alot so only having the V-10 is acceptable and possible. They have been rumors of a Viper variant with the 6.4 Hemi, I would welcome this.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
Stew

Quote:
I do understand the history, money, money, money, that's the only factor. And yes, I think it does "water down" the American Muscle Car, greatly. They don't do this out of the kindness of their hearts, money, money, money, that's what makes the corporate world go round. Seriously, lets look at the Supercars of the world, really a Lamborghini or a Ferrari with an affordable model so "everyone" can participate and fit it into their budget. That would be the DEATH of the Supercar. The Viper is the only American car I can think of that said; screw that b.s., we're building a Supercar, and no "watered down" versions of it either. Just wish they had done that w/the Camaro. Create this monstrous beast, it has the look, that has only one purpose, to be the baddest, ferocious machine on the market. Next someone will say, maybe the government should subsidize the Lamborghini and the Ferrari so everyone can have one. Give me a break. So to answer # 2. Above, the reason they have always had 6s, money, money, money! Money first, greatest car second, or third, forth,......and so on.
May I suggest business 101, if they didn't make any money off of it, there would be no reason to make it PERIOD. I am glad you aren't running GM or they would have died a VERY long time ago...............
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #23
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Your ZL1 might cost as much as these other cars if that's the only Camaro GM built. That money, money, money that is made on the V6 subsidizes the higher end models. Without a profit, companies go out of busines. To make a profit, they either have to charge a lot for a few units, or distribute the cost across a lot of units. That means different varieties to attract a wider audience. It is actually the same thing they did back in the heyday of the Muscle Car era.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
May I suggest business 101, if they didn't make any money off of it, there would be no reason to make it PERIOD. I am glad you aren't running GM or they would have died a VERY long time ago...............
Like I said above, try telling that to Mr Lamborghini or Mr Ferrari.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Tell them what? That money isn't important? The reason they are still in business is that they charge a large amount of money for the very few cars they sale. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. Like Stew said, this is BUS101.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Stew

Quote:
Mr Lmborghini and Ferarris are spending 500 grand for their cars, that should be a DUH moment. Let's look at cars like BMW and Benz. Do you think they could build their HOT AMG and M cars IF those models didn't spawn from lesser 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, and V8 variants? And you realize there are reasons those exotic car companies change hands so often.........
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #27
GretchenGotGrowl

2011 Sales

All Ferrari Models -- 3,577

Corvette -- 13,164
Camaro -- 88,249
Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
2011 Sales

All Ferrari Models -- 3,577

Corvette -- 13,164
Camaro -- 88,249
Show me the money! I'm not knocking the V-6, this was just a "make pretend" (if I was King) fantasy thought. Why, because I'd love for GM to have a Supercar Division. No watered down versions and only the best of everything. Now in my opinion the new Camaro is the BEST looking car on the market bar-none. Way better looking than the Super Snake, Challenger, or Charger. So it would be the perfect prototype in GM's Supercar Division. Oh forgot the Viper, I think it is UGLY, fast, but UGLY. Now the new 2014 Stingray looks really nice (have to see it in person) and I'm considering it as a birthday/anniversary gift for my husband. The new Camaro for now is by far the best looking car on the market. It's sexy and yet mean as hell looking, just has that bad boy looking for trouble stance. Can you think/imagine a better pick than the Camaro to head the new GM Supercar Division. No way!

Ford did give it a try back in 2005/6 with the Ford GT seems like Americans can't buy the idea of an American Supercar. Plus I think it also was ugly.

Mr incredible, we all know the speed limits. My goal, as soon as the good weather gets here, is to set a new personal speed record. 153 is the old and now that you keep harping on 65, that is now my new goal! Well, that's with a one in front. No I don't ever weave in and out of traffic or drive like a mad woman. I do have my spot though, and if there are NO cars in front, just a clear shot, I will open her up and go for my new target. Yes, you just may read about it in the papers/Internet (if something goes wrong) I would guess either in the "police log" or the obituaries. I do have a need for speed and I love the adrenaline high. If that's the way I go, remember that movie and they're dropping the bomb, the bomb door is stuck and pops opens so he rides the bomb down hoot'n and hollering yahoo! That will be me! Like Tom hanks said "there's no crying in baseball" yeah I'm willing to risk it all for the high!

Closed Thread