Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Unhappy My car is also Down...(M6 Tranny crapped out)

So i witnessed my car being loaded on a flatbed today This car is soo damn beautiful, it was actually sad looking at being loaded...wierd i know.
Rewind back, so today was a great day. A promising one, I take my car out,grab my best friend and head out to campus to pick up my other best friend from his dorm room. 2 young guys, bright beautiful orange 5th gen, and collage campus . So yes promising
Now the first thing i have to say is that the 407 was basicallly a life saver today. My tranny crapped out and im not sure why. Seems like the clutch has no pressure and the car is stuck in neutral. It just would not go into gear. Im lucky i was on the 407 because it was smooth sailing and not the usual bumper-bumper traffic like on the 401, which wouldve meant me being in the middle of the highway with my four ways on, but thankfully it crapped out on me when i got off the highway Couldve been alot worse.
So this exactly what i noticed. Started the car up at the campus. Everything was fine and i headed off for the highway. Noticed the clutch was a little off. The grabbing point (w.e you call it) seemed to be a little further. SO i told my friends something is up. So i get on the highway everything seems normal, but the grabbing point seems to be getting closer and closer to the firewall. So i finally get to my friends house and unload the car. Play catch and hang out for a bit. Fast foward, im leaving, rolling down the driveway and try putting it in reverse and it wouldnt go. Keep trying, finally get it after forcing it in, i was like WTF? So i get rolling and the gears are not happy at all. They just were extremely clunky and and very hard to throw in. During this, i noticed the grabbing point was near the firewall, . I got stuck at a light trying to put in first, caused quite a bit of commotion and i finally got to my friends house. Figured it was time to go to the dealer. Drop him off get going, go to stop sign and that was it. Stuck in neutral, she would not go into gear.
Now i have driven standerd since i was 9, not once has my clutch ever thrown a burning smell, and she has never shown and symptoms of a burnt clutch. So i know its not the clutch, it might be the pressure plate or something. All i know is my baby was put on a flatbed and is sitting at the dealer. Im going in tommorow to figure everything out. Im having a real bad day, its 4 in the morning so bare with me spelling wise.
To complete this story, my girlfriend and i have a huge argument right after this and were supposed to celebrate our 5 year anniversary in a weel. Were both 19 and now im not sure what position we're in.
Not in a good place right now at all :(
ANyways if anyone has had similiar issues, please chime in. Goodnight folks
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #2
TJ91

Someone said something about GM quality, i said "Well atleast it doesnt have a sticky gas pedal"
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 04-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Sounds like possibly the clutch isn't disengaging...it is hydraulic...could be a leak in the system,bad master cylinder,slave cylinder ect...

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
Sounds like possibly the clutch isn't disengaging...it is hydraulic...could be a leak in the system,bad master cylinder,slave cylinder ect...
Ya i agree, sounds right on. Should be a quick fix.

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
TJ91

Update
So I went to sort out everything with the dealer. They go out to move the car, I tell him lets roll it.
He somehow puts it in 5th.
Now before I go on, i dont know how he did this, he must've damaged it a bit more because when I was trying to throw it in gear, the shifter was practically flexing. So he somehow gets it in 5th and starts rolling. And this is when everything went downhill as im sure you all know whats coming next. Now ive driven standerd for ever, and my car has never put out a burning clutch smell. Guess what I smelled. Burning clutch. So he parks it and im furious. I tell him that im smelling a burning clutch and ive never smelled that on my car before and to stop before he does any further damage. I told him i want everything replaced he tells me they wont replace the clutch. Anyways the car is sitting on the lot now, waiting to be brought in on monday, im not sure what these clowns are going to do it when they go to move it in and im honestly worried sick. These guys are frying my clutch!!!!
Anyways i can get GM to just give me a whole new tranny?
Because of the clutch, some of the gears were grinding a bit as well....what a bad day
Old 04-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Remind him the car has a bumper to bumper warranty, and the clutch is between the bumpers. If a defect caused it to be damaged it absolutely is covered. And if he is the one that smoked it trying to drive the car from a dead stop in 5th, ask to have a meeting with the owner of the dealership to discuss why an employee of this business damaged your car.

There is a bulletin for a pressure plate coming loose problem. In that bulletin it directs to check for loose pressure plate bolts. If loose, to then remove the clutch and check for clutch damage, replace if damage found.

If the car is under warranty, they'd better be fixing everything that is wrong with it. Period. Tell him to do a bulletin search and see if the pressure plate issue may be possible.

If the pedal starts feeling funny, and then it wont go into any gear easy, can be two possible problems. 1. The hydraulics aren't working. More common after abuse such as multiple drag strip runs that boiled the fluid.
2. The pressure plate isn't releasing the clutch, sometime because it has loosened away from it's mounting.

I'd wager on the pressure plate issue. Because it happened during normal driving, and still had the issue the next day. An overheated hydraulic problem will often return to normal.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
HIGHOCTANE

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I'd wager on the pressure plate issue. Because it happened during normal driving, and still had the issue the next day. An overheated hydraulic problem will often return to normal.

Generally if the pressure plate loosens the clamp load on the clutch disc is lowered and the clutch will tend to slip but will still release when the pedal is pressed.

In any case whoeever you dealt with at the dealer is an idiot for trying to pull off in 5th,especially on a car known to have a problem...what a JA....oh and if it were me they would darn sure be covering cutch damage...they will be hard pressed to claim abuse or normal wear and tear when the dealer employee tries to pull off in 5th...heck anything is reasonable use if that is lol.

2010 IBM 2SS/RS Camaro (M6)
Previous rides:
2003 Twin Turbo Mustang Cobra(900 RWHP)
2004 KB S/C Mustang Cobra(700 RWHP)
2003 Mustang GT,Heads,Cam, N20 ect..
HIGHOCTANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I'd definetely go to the owner about him driving off in 5th. New clutch, nothing less.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Dennis so sorry to hear :(

Just when you were getting good weather.

Hang in there and keep on the dealer...You'll be back on the road in no time.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Did you ever look at the tranny temp gauge by chance?
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
That's BS. Why try to drive the car when there's a drivetrain problem?! LAZY!!! Get on the manager and owner.

Good luck
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
Get after them man, that is unacceptable .

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
i dont know about you deserving a new clutch (or tranny), im sure hes taken a little life away from it but that dude was a moron for trying to do a 5th gear start. who wouldnt see THAT coming?
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
CloudXTC

Drives: 1LT|RS|SIM|M6|BA Stereo
soooo sorry man...

im sure everything will be good soon, both the car and your relationship...
just do one thing at a time
if you need some help or chillin time in im town for this weekend and next... pm me for details...

1LT | RS | M6 | SIM | BA Stereo
1000 - [07-23-2009] Order Made at dealer
1100 - [08-04-2009] Preliminary order accepted
2000 - [08-25-2009] Accepted by GM
3000 - [09-01-2009] Accepted by production control TPW = 10-05-2009
3300 - [09-28-2009] Scheduled for production
3400 - [10-01-2009] Broadcast - Being Built
3800 - [10-13-2009] Produced - Built- VIN 2G1xxx54917
4200 - [10-19-2009] Shipped
5000 - [10-19-2009] Delivered to the dealer
6000 - [10-20-2009] Delivered to the customer

CloudXTC is offline   Reply With Quote