Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #43
chain1

Drives: 2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS 5.0
One of the reasons I come to the Camaro forum every so often is just so I can read the newest auto vs manual thread. It's always entertaining. Keep 'em coming!
In the meantime, I will continue to purchase what I want and like and not feel like I have to defend my choice to anyone.
chain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #44
Blackbean

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Most embarassing moment I have witnessed,was when I let a friend of mine, who had a Buick Grand National,and was always spouting his racing stories,drive my 2008 Shelby GT500.
Once he got behind the wheel, and stalled it 3 times,I realized that he had never driven a stick.It didn't make any difference to me in my opinion of him, it's just that he missed the whole experience of thrashing some serious Detroit iron.
When we were teenagers,we would look in the window of a muscle car and say,"it's a f...ing auto," and walk away.That's how Amerricans feel about a bad ass car.
Blackbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #45
jokerswild

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM M6
I've read plenty of these auto vs manual threads... they're usually worth a little entertainment.

I drive a manual... not because it makes me feel more manly, not because I consider it a "true" muscle car, and not because it makes me feel cooler.

I drive a manual because I PREFER A MANUAL. That's it. I like the fact that my engine slows me down when I let off the gas, I like knowing exactly what gear I'm in and having control over being at 2000RPM or 6000RPM.

I rented the automatic once (even if it was only the V6), and I completely enjoyed the automatic and paddleshifters... great fun.

Would I still buy a Camaro if it was only available in automatic? Probably, but I'd have to think about it for awhile. If given a choice, I simply love driving with full control. The "M" mode or whatever it's called on the automatics... it goes a long way to bridging the gap between having full control and allowing the computer to take over. I like it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with automatics. If I lived in LA, I'd want one for traffic for sure.
jokerswild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #46
4TH CAMARO

Drives: 2010 SS CGM LS3
This is funny to read... people feel like their man card is gonna get pulled and they have to get all bowed up because they drive an auto.. I think our British friend said a mouthful when he said 'he wants to shift his own gears like he wants to wash his own car.....' I won't let anybody touch my cars to wash them, it should be a labor of love for an enthusiast to take care of his rides. And I love manual transmissions in cars that deserve them. Hey--I dig the autos in my truck and my jeep... 'cause I just wanna ride around in them.... but I want to DRIVE my Camaro. Bottom line?? we all have a killer car in the Camaro--be it stick or auto. enjoy 'em all!
4TH CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #47
acamellis
IAMACE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
I own two 1930 model A Fords and one is completely stock/ matching numbers. Wanna feel like a man? Drive that manual. No synchromesh, powerglide, nothing. You adjust the timing manually as well. An auto in this car would be the true heresy.
For my DD Camaro SS i went auto. It's a personal choice.
I guess having those model A's made me appreciate the modern technology.
So because I can drive those manuals and got the 2010 Camaro the way I wanted....
I'm gonna hold on to my man-card
acamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #48
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by acamellis View Post
I own two 1930 model A Fords and one is completely stock/ matching numbers. Wanna feel like a man? Drive that manual. No synchromesh, powerglide, nothing. You adjust the timing manually as well. An auto in this car would be the true heresy.
For my DD Camaro SS i went auto. It's a personal choice.
I guess having those model A's made me appreciate the modern technology.

I remember bringing my Nissan home on leave while I was in the military just after desert storm and my dad drove it and his first comment was "Damn thing shifts for you. Might as well have just got an automatic."

Manuals these days are just not the same. They are all dumbed down so you CAN'T screw it up. I'd describe driving todays manual POVs as a number of different things, but manyly isn't one of them.

It's a manly car, no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain1 View Post
One of the reasons I come to the Camaro forum every so often is just so I can read the newest auto vs manual thread. It's always entertaining. Keep 'em coming!
In the meantime, I will continue to purchase what I want and like and not feel like I have to defend my choice to anyone.

Ya'll don't get me wrong; I actually regret at times not getting the stick. I've driven both and it makes me wish I had both. lol

I just don't get the whole 'Manly' thing. There are a million teenage girls driving manual trannys right now. You don't have to be a man to drive a stick. I'm missing something?

Yes, there was a time I was proud to drive a stick shift car and thought it was a bragging option, but I was 16 years old. By 18 I was tired of it. Got my first auto tranny car when I was 28 and never looked back.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #49
bzzzz

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAMARO
come on...girls can't drive a manual, that's ridiculous, that's what automatic is for...
bzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #50
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzzz View Post
come on...girls can't drive a manual, that's ridiculous, that's what automatic is for...
There was a girl driving my car earlier. True story.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #51
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
SoooOOOooooOOOOO...

Who won?

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #52
Freezy
Synergy Green Lantern

Drives: to win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswild View Post
I've read plenty of these auto vs manual threads... they're usually worth a little entertainment.

I drive a manual... not because it makes me feel more manly, not because I consider it a "true" muscle car, and not because it makes me feel cooler.

I drive a manual because I PREFER A MANUAL. That's it. I like the fact that my engine slows me down when I let off the gas, I like knowing exactly what gear I'm in and having control over being at 2000RPM or 6000RPM.

I rented the automatic once (even if it was only the V6), and I completely enjoyed the automatic and paddleshifters... great fun.

Would I still buy a Camaro if it was only available in automatic? Probably, but I'd have to think about it for awhile. If given a choice, I simply love driving with full control. The "M" mode or whatever it's called on the automatics... it goes a long way to bridging the gap between having full control and allowing the computer to take over. I like it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with automatics. If I lived in LA, I'd want one for traffic for sure.
My Thoughts Exactly
Old 07-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #53
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
SoooOOOooooOOOOO...

Who won?

The auto did.

And yes, If I had to do it over again,,,,, I'd get the manual. I've YET to remember to use the remote start.

BUT, I still stand behind my thoughts on this. It's not because of anything other the fun factor. Paddle shifters are stupid.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #54
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
The auto did.

And yes, If I had to do it over again,,,,, I'd get the manual. I've YET to remember to use the remote start.

BUT, I still stand behind my thoughts on this. It's not because of anything other the fun factor. Paddle shifters are stupid.
So the manual wins cus that is what you really want????

or the auto wins cus that is what you currently have???

I'm so confused...

ALL CAMARO OWNERS, BOTH L99 AND LS3, THE TRUTH OF WHICH TRANSMISSION IS BETTER WILL BE REVEALED IN PQ'S REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

No pressure Randy, Take your time and think it through.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #55
RJT-Maro
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Supercharged RJT SS!
Send a message via AIM to RJT-Maro
Quote:
...says the owner of an automatic

Curious that you never have to defend your choice when you have a manual as it's...the real deal!
Says the guy with 14 posts

Quote:
I drove an 18 wheeler for years. Where YOU have to find the gear slot, (speed to rpms) in order to shift gears. NO syncronizer. Raise and lower the engine speed to shift.

It just makes me laugh when I hear someone talk about being 'Manly' to shift gears in a car. It's not even true shifting. It freaking basicaly does it for you, and everyone somehow thinks it's a skillfull thing. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I chose the auto for the remote start and because the thrill was gone shifting gears a long time ago.
When me and my wife first got married I was a crew chief for a small race team in Mobile.

That's where I learned about cars I was usually the one who had to build the engine after he wrecked it every race lol. I got to drive it in a race one time. No syncro whatever you have to match it, like PQ said.
Quote:
haha. Really you think that??

Quote:
There was a girl driving my car earlier. True story.
haha

Quote:
SoooOOOooooOOOOO...

Who won?

LS3. Dude the LS3 will smoke any L99 out there, even if it's supercharged and making 1000hp the manual will still beat it.

Sorry to make fun of the fanboys around here.

I have a LS3 myself. And I have no doubt a highly tuned auto(stock vs. sotck) would beat the manual in the 1/4 mile.

It's not about the transmission, it's about the person behind that transmission shifting it.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger, ARH 1 7/8 LT Headers with 3" X-Pipe, Borla S-Type Axle-Back, DMH Low Profile Exhaust Cut-Outs, MTI Racing CAI, Stage 2 Camshaft(227/239 .614/.624) with new springs, Katech C5R Z Timing Chain, LS7 Bowtie Damper, MTI Hot Spark Plug Wires, MTI Racing Lowering Springs and Swaybars, Aluminum Oil Catch Can, 160 Degree Thermostat, MTI Tune. 554RWHP 528RWTQ Built By: MTI Racing Dyno Sheet here
RJT-Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #56
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
So the manual wins cus that is what you really want????

or the auto wins cus that is what you currently have???

I'm so confused...

ALL CAMARO OWNERS, BOTH L99 AND LS3, THE TRUTH OF WHICH TRANSMISSION IS BETTER WILL BE REVEALED IN PQ'S REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

No pressure Randy, Take your time and think it through.

Name:  39.gif
Views: 509
Size:  987 Bytes

You know, I've been declaring the L99 the best here for a while now. Just kinda gigging the LS3 guys. But you have brought up a nice point.

I need to figure out whitch is better TO ME.......................

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................................... ............