Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
kpwalls06
Cory

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6;
Unreal is correct, if you size the turbo and the A/R correctly, the lag will be negligible. Especially when considering single turbo setups are mounted in the engine bay, negating any delay involved with long sections of exhaust/intake piping.
kpwalls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
the oiling problem for the twin kits on a turbo cars bothers me. A single that will oil normally with out some BS elec. pump is the ticket if you want turbo. If you are daily driving it, I would totally go SC. Turbo cars will find exhaust leaks. So maintenance issues will arrise.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
I disagree. A properly designed manifold/etc won't leak.

The only down side I see valid so far is the electric pumps for the oil. Then again the new ones are really reliable and people are not havng issues with them. I'm not sure how that is a problem. Yes it is an added part, but if it is reliable and works why is it a problem?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #32
uniqueskillz

Drives: ETMC built 700+hp Twin Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post

The only down side I see valid so far is the electric pumps for the oil. Then again the new ones are really reliable and people are not havng issues with them. I'm not sure how that is a problem. Yes it is an added part, but if it is reliable and works why is it a problem?
uniqueskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #33
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueskillz View Post

So with a turbo I would need a new electric pump for the oil? I did not see that in the kit...
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #34
kpwalls06
Cory

It depends on the kit you're looking at Birm. Many come with an oil pump and drain setup already designed in the kit. If you have a question on that, it's best to call the manufacturer and ask.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #35
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Depends if the turbo is mounted high end to gravity drain. The high mount singles up front won't need a pump. The twin kits that mount down low (best IMO) use a scavenge pump to return oil to the pan.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #36
RBD

Drives: 2013 SS/RS Convertible
Vortech V-3 Jannetty cam and tune 11psi 715rwhp 23mpgs highway ID-850 injectors
nuff said
RBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
kpwalls06
Cory

A single turbo at equal boost with a blower cam would make even more power.

Last edited by kpwalls06; 11-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #38
ZachSGMSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM Camaro
Birm if you're able to come out to the track when my cars out there you're more than welcome to take it down the track if you'd like
ZachSGMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #39
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Zach, I will be there Monday to test out a few products with Tracy (Ported Manifold and Vararam Power Wedge). When you are ready to head out to the track though let me know, I'd be glad to go and right seat ride..Not crazy about driving others cars on the track though lol, God Forbid something to happen when im in the seat.. Thanks though!
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #40
ZachSGMSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM Camaro
I completely understand. I'll definitely let you know when we're goin out there though.
ZachSGMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #41
Matt @ RX

Either decision is a great one to go with. Obviously I'm partial to the RXP Single Turbo Kit, but I run the ECS Paxton SC kit on my personal ride. The Vortech SC kit, I Just tuned a 2012 in Panama City is awesome. Such good choices its personal preference.

You'll be at the shop Monday, my car is still on the wastegate so you can feel what a SC car feels like, without a stupid amount of boost in it (Running 13psi on the gate). However, my big stroke & converter car will feel different than the stock bottom end.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #42
Matt @ RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
So with a turbo I would need a new electric pump for the oil? I did not see that in the kit...
Not for our kit. Oil fed is from the machined adapter we use above the oil filter, drain is gravity fed. With twins you usually have to use the electric pump for scavenge side to return the oil to the pan, the twins are usually next to the pan so gravity cannot return the oil. Thus the ease of the single kit over the twins, HOWEVER, a twin kit would be some NASTY torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwalls06 View Post
Unreal is correct, if you size the turbo and the A/R correctly, the lag will be negligible. Especially when considering single turbo setups are mounted in the engine bay, negating any delay involved with long sections of exhaust/intake piping.
Keeping stock exhaust manifolds, 2.5" on the crossover, 3" on the concentric flange feed with a smaller exhaust housing will eliminate most of the lag. I should see boost pretty early in the RXP Single Turbo Kit.