Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #29
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
A V6 mistake? Not with me. I had a big 'ole V8 for over ten years and I could not stand the pitiful gas mileage I got in the city. Every time I had to drive around town and do errands, it seemed I always had to put gas in it. Thanks, but no thanks.

Sure, I realize the mpg on the LS3 is a little better than a big V8 engine in a fullsized truck, but I'm pretty darn sure it's not as good as the LFX V6 when driven conservatively. And, at some point in the future if and when the need to spank V8 SS's and (almost) keep up with a stock ZL1 comes around, I'll just get the Fabberge twin turbo kit. Fast with great mpg. A win win if you ask me.

Last edited by MikosV6; 10-31-2015 at 03:08 AM.
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #30
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I loved my 2013 2LT/RS V6 Camaro.

It was a great car. I enjoyed every min of owning it.

It allowed me to find C5 and start modding. I learned everything I know about 5th Gens due to that 13' LFX. Without the V6 and C5 I would have never have gotten the ZL1 I now own.

It was a great stepping stone in upgrading to the ZL1 I nave now.

To each his or her own I guess but everyone likes to upgrade or move on at some point.

Whenever I was asked if it was a V6 or V8 I would just says it 323hp.....they just said wow...the car looks great!
Attached Images

Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #31
nikitis

Drives: 2012 Camaro Inferno Orange
On hindsight, the only thing I regret on my 2012 V6 323hp Camaro is the lack of great sound. I bought my v6 as I was poor and could not afford the V8 version. I would later be able to afford mods and am enjoying doing it all slowly over the life of the car.

I bought the cheapest version of the Camaro one could get, but I had to order it to get a Manual that was Infernal Orange, because there wasn't a dealership within 20 states surrounding me at the time that had a Camaro with that combination. I got it though, and for under 20k with only 35k miles on it. The car was in great shape, and I've driven it for over a year with no problems. Momma always said not to buy a used sports car, but so far I've been lucky and my plan was to strip it down anyway and upgrade it as time and money went on so that wasn't as much of a worry to me.

I use it as a daily driver and get about 26 mpg average. I'm conservative with the Gas Pedal most of the time. I can reach 30 mpg if I try hard enough, but who wants to do that all the time?

In the end I could go two routes, I could replace the engine with a V8 10 years down the road and downgrade my mpg, or twin turbo the V6 and have better performance than the V8.

For my route it requires a lot of DIY, but I think in the end I get a much better looking and performing car. I don't regret the V6 option. I do get the question quite often about whether it's a V8 or not, but like one poster here said, I just tell them what the horse power is, and if I twin turbo it, will beat the V8, and they are always impressed. What impresses them more though is the inferno orange paint job.

I wanted the inferno orage paint color because I was cheap and bought with cheapest stock wheels, which IMO only Black and Orange look great with the default wheels as I knew I'd be using the stock wheels for a long time. Those wheels were made for the orange or black color. They just look odd on other colors.

In the end, I'm a sound buff, and since I've listened to all of the Youtube videos on this site, with all of your combinations, but no offense to anyone. Though you may say it sounds great, it's not what i'm looking for, and what I'm looking for will not be reachable with this V6 model when it comes to sound, but the fact I can enjoy more HP as a result, and I have no money, This is a great car, and one of the best looking cars on the road. Even better than them fancy ferrari's and the like. The lines are great and it's got that classic look, and fun to drive. Best car in the world.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #32
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
I know what you are talking about, but the "end" of my story is different.
Two months ago I was in need of a car. My 2002 Camrao V6 was on its last legs. (I got the same v8/v6 question all the time as well, annoying)
THe first car I test drove was a 2012 WRX with 48,000 miles on it. I almost bought it, felt quick and was practical, but the dealer was not giving me the kind of deal I was looking for.
Then I test drove a 2010 SS with 28,000 miles on it. It was sooooo good!! Made me so much happier than the WRX, so I bought it. I am so happy and I don't have to deal with that stupid is it a V8 question anymore. When I am having a bad day, a simple drive in the SS fixes that. Also hearing the V8 hum all the time is intoxicating. Next time just hold out and get a used V8 like I did.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #33
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
The V8 is not always the better choice. For daily driver use the V6 does get better fuel economy, rides nicer on Michigan roads and tire replacement is cheaper.

My summer car is a 2SS, but it just doesn't work for me as a daily driver. They are all good, just depends on your expectations.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:36 PM   #34
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Yep, my LFX is so underpowered it can barely plow through all the panties thrown at it.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:56 PM   #35
MikosV6
Account Suspended

There is always someone faster no matter what you drive or how fast you think you are except for perhaps the rare Bugatti Veyron owner or something.

If you get a V6 Camaro, the V8 is faster. If you get an SS V8 auto, the LS3 M6 is faster. If you get a LS3 M6 1LE, the ZL1 and Z28 are faster. If you get a ZL1/Z28, the Corvette C7 Z06 is faster. It's a never ending battle. And, that's not counting enthusiasts with older vehicles that can be highly modified or the occassional wicked sleeper driving around.

My little 323hp V6 Camaro sure feels fast enough to me, but I know an SS would beat me. Just like how an SS owner thinks he or she is fast until a ZL1 or Z28 beats them. Speed is relative and when you get used to the power, it no longer feels as fast as it once did. Hence why aftermarket companies make a lot of money selling aftermarket high performance parts for our cars.

I can only imagine what the poor Bugatti Veyron owners are going through. Once they get used to the power of their cars, there is really nothing that much faster unless you go to a dragster.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #36
SSChecky

Drives: Camaro 2SS
i had a 2ss and got a 2lt. im happy with it same exact car pretty much only differnce is the motor. do people try to bash my v6? sure. but i just point at their car... my v6 is $25k. they typically drive some beatdown $10k car. and after exhaust and cold air intake my v6 is getting 330-340hp. of course mpg is gonna average around 19-20.. it had 323hp...
SSChecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #37
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
After 7 hours of driving from hereford, md to ocean city, md. Up to rehobeth boardwalk and back down to OC then back home, i took this around annapolis, md (30.9) and easton, at a stoplight near sonic.(31.2)

Gas mileage i get. Check.

AutoX and track days... Check

Road trips to go and do shows in various states, comfortable trip... Check

Never had a problem in my v6...

Just took a 5 hours down, 6 hours home trip to southern Va, met with Justice Pete to buy a swaybar on my weekend off from wrestling. Avg'd 28.9 down and back but i did get a lil saucy on I-81 south, and 1 lane traffic on 95 north returning by quantico, va.

No mistakes here. I know what i got, bought, and know how to drive it to get what i need from it.
Attached Images

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 PM   #38
MARVIL

Drives: 2014 Camaro V6 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmanian View Post
Exactly djcfuzz. Furthermore, why post it here? This is not a forum for people looking to buy a car. It's a specialty forum for the v6, but not just any v6- the lfx. Posting it here is not likely to impress a potential buyer. The only purpose to posting here seems to be to complain about the car and to rile the v6 owners.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
I second that!

Haha.

To each his own though.
MARVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:49 PM   #39
MARVIL

Drives: 2014 Camaro V6 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
After 7 hours of driving from hereford, md to ocean city, md. Up to rehobeth boardwalk and back down to OC then back home, i took this around annapolis, md (30.9) and easton, at a stoplight near sonic.(31.2)

Gas mileage i get. Check.

AutoX and track days... Check

Road trips to go and do shows in various states, comfortable trip... Check

Never had a problem in my v6...

Just took a 5 hours down, 6 hours home trip to southern Va, met with Justice Pete to buy a swaybar on my weekend off from wrestling. Avg'd 28.9 down and back but i did get a lil saucy on I-81 south, and 1 lane traffic on 95 north returning by quantico, va.

No mistakes here. I know what i got, bought, and know how to drive it to get what i need from it.

That looks about right.... and sounds about right as well.
MARVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #40
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Isnt a 2016 Subaru WRX a 4 cyl? you complained about a V6, wanting a V8, but went with a 4 cyl in the end??
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:24 PM   #41
Doopree

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Isnt a 2016 Subaru WRX a 4 cyl? you complained about a V6, wanting a V8, but went with a 4 cyl in the end??
Yeah, the WRX has a turbo charged 4 cyl which really makes the power comparable to a naturally aspired 6 cyl or even an older 8 cyl.

Since I prefer the lighter feel of the V6, I wish Chevy made a turbo charged Camaro V6 (400hp/400tq) in their stepdown model selection as opposed to the turbo charged 4 cyl. (I wouldn't want to install a turbo charger after-market)

They've done it with Cadillac:

http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/e...win-turbo.html
Doopree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:57 PM   #42
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doopree View Post
Yeah, the WRX has a turbo charged 4 cyl which really makes the power comparable to a naturally aspired 6 cyl or even an older 8 cyl.

Since I prefer the lighter feel of the V6, I wish Chevy made a turbo charged Camaro V6 (400hp/400tq) in their stepdown model selection as opposed to the turbo charged 4 cyl. (I wouldn't want to install a turbo charger after-market)

They've done it with Cadillac:

http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/e...win-turbo.html
If Chevy offered a twin turbo 3.6L in the Camaro, it would step on the heels of V8 owners. The 3.6L V6 LF3 has 420hp/430tq. However, cranking up the boost to LTG 4cyl levels, 18+ psi, it has 464hp/445tq (LF4) which comes in the ATS-V.

Of course, GM would never do that because then it would be more powerful than the top V8 LT1 engine.

I don't really see the need for three powertrain options in the 6th gen Camaro to be honest. The 5th gen had only two engine optiions and it did just fine in sales. Since the performance specs of the 4cyl turbo and the V6 are so similar with much greater performance potential going to the LTG 4cyl turbo, I think the LSX V6 will be eventually phased out after a few years due to low demand.