Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #1
Inferno dogg

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
All that have had new gears installed

Just wondering if any of you have had your transmission act confused after install? Mine will intermittently hold a lower gear for a long time.I know that it will sometimes do that normally when jumping in and out of the throttle but this is more prolonged.Almost acts like it is in paddle mode holding gear and down shifting harder.I did talk to a tuner and he said that it will need to be tweaked on a dyno but most all people on the forums say just throw them in and go.
GPI SS3 cam with top end goodies,Circle D 4c 3800 w/Derale trans cooler kit sold by GPI,3.90 yukon gears,Kooks long tube headers,Roto fab cold air intake, Corsa extreme 3" cat back, Dyno tuned by Andrews Auto Georgetown MI, Heritage Grille, T4 splitter with under tray, Anvil spoiler,MRR 228 reps with Nitto NT555G2 tires 315 rear 275 fronts,BMR poly bushings,HD Diff cover from RDP,Raytech install kit
Inferno dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #2
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I had a torque converter clutch (TCC) fail and it did all kinds of weird shifting. Held shifts longer, downshifted sooner, would never go into 6th gear and finally got CEL codes. Had to be replaced. This was all after a tune, not gear change. Do you have a tune?
Old 08-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
Inferno dogg

Yes it was email tuned before gears and did not do that until after gears were installed.I did tune after but only for speedo.
I do have a weird thing that happens and has been this way ever sense I had the first tune upload. After the car sits the trans will slip when going into 3rd for a second but only once then it is fine.It is very annoying to me and now this.I still think I have an issue with the transmission.
GPI SS3 cam with top end goodies,Circle D 4c 3800 w/Derale trans cooler kit sold by GPI,3.90 yukon gears,Kooks long tube headers,Roto fab cold air intake, Corsa extreme 3" cat back, Dyno tuned by Andrews Auto Georgetown MI, Heritage Grille, T4 splitter with under tray, Anvil spoiler,MRR 228 reps with Nitto NT555G2 tires 315 rear 275 fronts,BMR poly bushings,HD Diff cover from RDP,Raytech install kit
Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
When you change gears you need a tune. If you haven't had it retuned, which it sounds like you haven't, the car will behave oddly. Your trans is trying to shift for the other gears not to mention that your speedometer is off.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
MeanV8

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Chevy Corvette,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
When you change gears you need a tune. If you haven't had it retuned, which it sounds like you haven't, the car will behave oddly. Your trans is trying to shift for the other gears not to mention that your speedometer is off.
Absolutely correct!
That is one reason I waited to have GPI do my Cam Install, Headers, and 3.91 gears all together, so it could be tuned after everything was installed. I have close to 400 miles on it after the fact and it is a transformed car.

Dan
MeanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Inferno dogg

Quote:
I did re tune for speedo but not gears. Thanks so much guys I am trying to talk to a tuner in my area and will be adding a converter so I will get it dyno tuned.THANK!!!!!
Old 08-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno dogg View Post
I did re tune for speedo but not gears. Thanks so much guys I am trying to talk to a tuner in my area and will be adding a converter so I will get it dyno tuned.THANK!!!!!
Good luck and have fun! Sounds like you're going to have a heck of a fun ride when you're done.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
Inferno dogg

Quote:
Good luck and have fun! Sounds like you're going to have a heck of a fun ride when you're done.
Absolutly cant wait!!!
Old 08-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #9
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
You may have a transmission issue but after a gear swap the shift points need to be adjusted along with the speedometer. You probably shouldn't drive the car hard til its done. Email Steve and ask for a tune update for gears.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:22 AM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Steve nailed it with my gears tune. The car pulls like a gorilla now lol.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:49 AM   #11
Inferno dogg

Just emailed Steve.

Last edited by Inferno dogg; 08-04-2020 at 06:52 AM.