Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
Tomsusername

Drives: Velvet Blue Metallic 2015 1SS 1LE
Camber maxed out on stock alignment???

Got my 2015 1LE aligned tonight and was told that the passenger side rear camber was maxed out. The guy who did it said it wouldn't cause any odd tire wear, but that I might want to get some new eccentric bolts before next season.

Suspension is 100% stock 1LE, and alignment is the factory FE6 specs.

If everything is stock, why is the camber maxed out on the passenger side rear? Right now I have a few theories...

1) I'm aware that alignment is a balancing act. Could it just be a bad alignment, and should I spend the money to take it to another shop?

2) If everything on the car is stock, is something bent? And if so, is there a likely cuprate? (I do live within 9 miles of Boston, and the car is my daily)

3) Could the eccentric bolt be broken/bent?.... Forgive my ignorance because I'm not even sure if that's even a thing or not . And would changing them for something like a set of BMR Camber Bolts be anything more than a band-aid solution to a bigger problem?

4) I also know that the eccentrics are prone to slipping. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to pony up for a set of Detroit Speed or BMR adjustable LCA's. Would these simultaneously do away with the eccentric bolts AND give me more camber adjustment, or would I be needlessly throwing money at the problem?

I took a few pics of the alignment sheet and the eccentric bolts. I'll admit that don't know that much about alignment, so if I've assumed anything incorrectly, please let me know.

Any thoughts on the best course of action are totally appreciated!
Attached Images

Tomsusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsusername View Post
Got my 2015 1LE aligned tonight and was told that the passenger side rear camber was maxed out. The guy who did it said it wouldn't cause any odd tire wear, but that I might want to get some new eccentric bolts before next season.

Suspension is 100% stock 1LE, and alignment is the factory FE6 specs.

If everything is stock, why is the camber maxed out on the passenger side rear? Right now I have a few theories...

1) I'm aware that alignment is a balancing act. Could it just be a bad alignment, and should I spend the money to take it to another shop?

2) If everything on the car is stock, is something bent? And if so, is there a likely cuprate? (I do live within 9 miles of Boston, and the car is my daily)

3) Could the eccentric bolt be broken/bent?.... Forgive my ignorance because I'm not even sure if that's even a thing or not . And would changing them for something like a set of BMR Camber Bolts be anything more than a band-aid solution to a bigger problem?

4) I also know that the eccentrics are prone to slipping. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to pony up for a set of Detroit Speed or BMR adjustable LCA's. Would these simultaneously do away with the eccentric bolts AND give me more camber adjustment, or would I be needlessly throwing money at the problem?

I took a few pics of the alignment sheet and the eccentric bolts. I'll admit that don't know that much about alignment, so if I've assumed anything incorrectly, please let me know.

Any thoughts on the best course of action are totally appreciated!

I do my own alignments and I aim for perfection, so here's my thoughts:
1)Yes, adjusting the rear is a balancing act, when the camber is adjusted, the toe will change and vice versa. A good tech should know how to do it. It will take patience and tiny movements to get it perfect.

On the front, adjusting camber will change the toe, but not the other way around.

2)It is always possible somethings bent, but it may not be very obvious since the camber is very close to spec.

3/4) The stock eccentric bolts are robust. As long as they are tightened correctly, 85 lbs/ft. I have never bent/broke or had one move/slip. Not to say it cannot happen but I street drive and track my 1LE. I use the apex curbing pretty hard at my track and the roads in my area of PA are bad. Never had my alignment move.

You don't need to buy any aftermarket stuff.

I'm thinking the shop doesn't know what they are doing. Also, a good shop would've set the rear toe as close to even on both sides. The front looks good there. This does make a difference on how the car drives. The tires on our cars are very sensitive to slight toe variances.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
If those pics were taken after your alignment, then looking at the RR camber (LCA) eccentric, it can be adjusted for more negative camber so it can match the LR. But adjusting that LCA eccentric, the toe will move, and if I remember correctly, going to more negative camber will move the toe to toe in.

Turning that RR LCA eccentric 180* will add more negative camber by pushing the LCA out towards the outside. The top of the tire stays in the same place while the bottom comes out.

Find a new shop!

Last edited by cdb95z28; 11-13-2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: more info
cdb95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
KenBaker

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Is there any chance the car was wrecked in the past?
KenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Tomsusername

Drives: Velvet Blue Metallic 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
If those pics were taken after your alignment, then looking at the RR camber (LCA) eccentric, it can be adjusted for more negative camber so it can match the LR. But adjusting that LCA eccentric, the toe will move, and if I remember correctly, going to more negative camber will move the toe to toe in.

Turning that RR LCA eccentric 180* will add more negative camber by pushing the LCA out towards the outside. The top of the tire stays in the same place while the bottom comes out.

Find a new shop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBaker View Post
Is there any chance the car was wrecked in the past?

Sorry for sleeping on the response. Thanks for the replies, guys!

KenBaker: I bought the car with 8K miles on it. No accidents on the carfax, so I don't think that's something I'll have to worry about too much.

cdb95z28: That was a great response! I took your advice, called the shop that services my car, (Ace Performance. Tewksbury, MA), and asked them who they trust to do alignments. As they work on a lot of dedicated track cars, I thought it would be my best source of info.

The guy at the last shop definitely got something wrong. Your observation was correct, and our best guess is that he maxed the car out on positive camber thinking it was negative. (guy/"kid" couldn't have been any more than 21 years old). Manager at the new shop said that the car is fine, and that he could give me -2 degrees of camber in the back if I really wanted.

Not that the car drove poorly before, but I'm glad I have peace of mind knowing that the car is fine, and set up properly. Thanks again for your suggestion!
Tomsusername is offline   Reply With Quote