Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
SSjosh

Drives: 2011 SS 6MT
LPW Diff Cover Question

Did a little searching and found jre main caps but not stock caps.

I'm about to throw in a bigger cam and figured I should do something to extend my rear end life.

Is it easy/worth it to swap the main caps while taking the stock diff cover off? I don't really really have the budget for jre caps but what about new stockers?

35k miles and I don't abuse it much at all. Still got two wheel peel too.
SSjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
bigger cam is gonna want bigger gears..until then control hop with T/A's...hop breaks stuff...and sub frame inserts or replacement bushings highly recommended too. JRE caps are nice but require machining for proper fit..IMHO the LPW cover is more than enough and is my need mod.

what is the intended usage? drag, road course?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
SSjosh

Drives: 2011 SS 6MT
Mostly just street and playing around some. I've got z28 toe rods, trailing arms, subframe bushings. I've only had the hop once or twice and not since those mods.

I'll just do the cover and redline and call it a day.
SSjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Yea! Redline normally extends the life of everything! Then tune it and raise the redline even higher. that is how I roll too! .....or wait, did you mean the fluid?

I like the LPW cover and almost did it, it is relatively easy to get on and off incase you decide to do caps later. I went ZL1 rear in the end since I went supercharger.

As mentioned, controlling hop is 1st priority and main cause of issues.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
zfrederick

Drives: Black 2010 2ss
I love the diff I just built. LPW girdle, JRE caps, Eaton true track, 3.91 gears, BMR bushings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Thunder70

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
Does the diff have to come out to put the cover on ?
Thunder70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfrederick View Post
I love the diff I just built. LPW girdle, JRE caps, Eaton true track, 3.91 gears, BMR bushings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You set the gears yourself? How difficult was it compared to an old GM rear, like the 10 or 12 bolts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #8
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
I did my own 3.91 upgrade in the garage on jack stands..if you use OEM AAM gear sets it practically dropped in..it's the case dimensions that change not the gears...all I had to do was swap the pinion shim over..it all came together with about .2-.3 backlash...if you use aftermarket gears you have to reset pinion height all over again and then set the ring gear...big pain in the a$$ and if you don't have the proper tools forget it...I also did all of the bearings due to mileage...still whisper quiet after over 2k miles(changed gear oil at 1k-perfect)...biggest pain in the a$$ was setting the inside pinion race and setting the crush collar preload.

so if you have more than basic mechanical skills, tools and a good understanding of what you are actually doing! go for it....3.91's are what the SS M6 should have come with from the factory like the 1LE.

btw - and for the q above about dropping the diff to install the LPW cover...you might be able to sneak it in and out but best bet is to drop it(only need to pull right axle!) so the bushings can be upgraded at the same time...
Old 01-09-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
I did my own 3.91 upgrade in the garage on jack stands..if you use OEM AAM gear sets it practically dropped in..it's the case dimensions that change not the gears...all I had to do was swap the pinion shim over..it all came together with about .2-.3 backlash...if you use aftermarket gears you have to reset pinion height all over again and then set the ring gear...big pain in the a$$ and if you don't have the proper tools forget it...I also did all of the bearings due to mileage...still whisper quiet after over 2k miles(changed gear oil at 1k-perfect)...biggest pain in the a$$ was setting the inside pinion race and setting the crush collar preload.

so if you have more than basic mechanical skills, tools and a good understanding of what you are actually doing! go for it....3.91's are what the SS M6 should have come with from the factory like the 1LE.

btw - and for the q above about dropping the diff to install the LPW cover...you might be able to sneak it in and out but best bet is to drop it(only need to pull right axle!) so the bushings can be upgraded at the same time...
I have a 1LE and really would like the TruTrac with JRE caps and the LPW cover. I'd do bearings and keep the factory 3.91.

I've done several 10 bolts and a couple of 12 bolts. I'd have to study up on it again. I forget the math but have the gauges and tools. So I just might get around to it.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
I added the trutrac to my 1LE diff and then put on the LPW cover.
I experienced what was said above, swapped the ring gear and bearings to the new diff and backlash didn’t change. I don’t recall exactly, but 0.2-0.4 seems right. The JRE caps need to be machined or they will destroy the carrier bearings.
I read somewhere, Justice Pete I believe, either JRE or LPW are sufficient. No need for both. Pete, if my memory is wrong, most sincere apologies.

My view: LPW increases the fluid volume & JRE allows you to run the Z28 diff cooler. Both good things
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
I added the trutrac to my 1LE diff and then put on the LPW cover.
I experienced what was said above, swapped the ring gear and bearings to the new diff and backlash didnít change. I donít recall exactly, but 0.2-0.4 seems right. The JRE caps need to be machined or they will destroy the carrier bearings.
I read somewhere, Justice Pete I believe, either JRE or LPW are sufficient. No need for both. Pete, if my memory is wrong, most sincere apologies.

My view: LPW increases the fluid volume & JRE allows you to run the Z28 diff cooler. Both good things
TruTrac and LPW cover it is then. Unless it breaks first... Then I'll add the JRe caps too.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 AM   #12
Bildo

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
TruTrac and LPW cover it is then. Unless it breaks first... Then I'll add the JRe caps too.

Doing the same with my rear, trutrac, axles, 3.45 gears, low cover, and JRE end caps.
2012 2SS M6, ERL Superdeck 6 427, PRC 255 Heads, Procharger F1A w/ 3.85 pulley, 1300hp intercooler, Squash Dual 450lph, E85, ID1700, RXT Clutch, DSS 1pc driveshaft, GForce axles, Eaton Detroit Trutrac, a bunch of other crap I don't feel like typing.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote