Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Damn Damn Damn

chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Just read the article. And I don't like the sound of that. Hope it's not true.

lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
I dunno, seems like a lot of people who aren't buying now are waiting on what the offerings of 2012 model year will bring. They didn't compare the sales across the board either, so if everyone had lower sales in March, but GM still sold more comparatively, then it's not so bad after all.

I would also be willing to bet that some consumers are waiting for the 2012 announcements, especially since there is a lot still to be announced.

Lastly, I didn't even get any incentives when I bought mine. So to wrap up, the article just seemed like doom-and-gloom editorial piece meant to make "anyone not GM" look better.
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
"Smale's hand-picked North America president Ron Zarella championed the launch of the Pontiac Aztek, a dismal-selling SUV whose laughable styling brought it to a quick end."
I can just picture Zarella's next big thing now....

1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #19
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
I can just picture Zarella's next big thing now...
That just doesn't make me feel like a man in the same way the ThunderCougarFalconBird does.
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
coolman

I think we're all headed backwards.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I think we're all headed backwards.
Coolman, I figured out the problem. You got your tranny in reverse.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #22
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Coolman, I figured out the problem. You got your tranny in reverse.
I'll turn around in my seat then I should be fine.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #23
KJinni

Why would anyone ever believe anything that MSNBC has said or will ever say?

Example: MSNBC sent a reporter to Iraq and this reporter went out with my friend on a patrol. My friend says nothing happened during the patrol. The MSNBC reporter reported that two servicemen had died and that an IED exploded.
KJinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeos View Post
You need a true "car guy" to understand the "car biz." If not, then the same old mistakes will be repeated. You have to know, understand, and appreciate history in order to learn from it.

Make fbod the CEO!

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #25
Rogey89
ZL 1 3 7

Drives: '23 ZL1
Hahahahahahahahaha...

You gotta love speculation. Hell I'm paying $1.21/LITER for fuel due to speculation...and taxes...

I think GM is pretty okay right now. Cant keep up to consumer demand on convertibles, launching 3 new platforms...
Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #26
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Ok, I'll give you my opinion based on the leadership messages I've head (that I can share) and some clarifications to the article.

Here is the article with my comments in BOLD:

Last fall, the road ahead looked smooth for General Motors.

Just over a year since it sank into government-run bankruptcy, a leaner, meaner automaker relisted its shares on major world stock exchanges, bursting back onto the investment scene with the world’s largest initial public offering.

Nothing has changed since then, just some people. Remember how 6 months or so ago it seemed Marketing had a new head every 6 weeks? That has settled down and you now see (at least I do) a cleaner, clearer picture of GM and it's core brands.

But just four months later some industry observers are expressing concern that the company's new driver, CEO Daniel Akerson, is unfamiliar with the car market terrain and could steer GM into a ditch.

Critics contend Akerson, a former telecommunications executive, is surrounding himself with agreeable subordinates from similar backgrounds, focusing too much on cost-cutting and relying heavily on incentives, such as rebates, to artificially inflate sales at the expense of profits and brand image.

He is surrounding himself with people that don't say, "it can't be done". He wants people to tell him, "here is what we have to do in order to be successfull", even if that is monumental, that's what he exects to hear. From his experience in telecom? Maybe. But he is now driving higher performance with higher expectations.

Loading stock quotes…
Index Last Change
GM 31.16 +0.42
+1.37%
Quotes delayed 15+ min.
Stock search
Adding to the concern: The sudden departure this month of GM’s finance chief Chris Liddell after barely a year on the job. Liddell shepherded GM through its record $23 billion IPO last November, and his departure renewed concerns about GM’s stability and performance that many analysts had credited the automaker with having put behind it in recent months. The company has had four chief executives in the past two years.

As I heard it, Chris Liddell was supposed to get the CEO job. He didn't, Ackerson did and is staying. Would you stay if you were passed over for CEO and could go elsewhere and land that job? Yeah, you would too.

“I’ve seen this movie before, and it doesn’t end well,” longtime Detroit adman Peter Delorenzo said his blog, autoextremist.com.

Ummmmm, Peter, I read your stuff. Sometimes..............sometimes you are right. But I'm glad you've seen this before. Must mean this is one of those times.

Things have certainly looked upbeat for GM of late.

In the opening months of 2011 sales of GM’s cars and trucks have surged, as the company grabbed market share from its rivals, according to sales data from J.D. Power and Associates. That would appear to bode well for the company’s future, and with it, the potential for U.S. taxpayers to recover the remainder of their investment in the company.

So not quite buying it.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #27
kr juice 1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
wow i guess i didn't read the same article most of you read. look first off toyota and honda and mazda yes they use goverment incentivized leases. although you can not compare a 2k on average incentive to the 8k and 10k incentives gm and ford are willing to do to move metal. all the article is saying is that by doing this they are messing up the used car market. by making the vehicles less valueable. all they are saying is that this is the way business was done before and look what happened (history does repeat itself and thats what the worry is about). sad but it is completely true they need to get rid of the communications guru thats running the company, and get a real car guy enough said.
kr juice 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #28
Indecision14

Drives: 2011 SS/RS...6SP...IBM...
I work for a huge fortune 300 manufacturing company...I am not going to get all deep here, but GM will be fine, incentives are used in EVERY line of large manufacturing companies now, it's how business is done in the 21st century...

At the end of the day, it's all about keeping production of quality goods coming out of your plants and moving units....GM is clearly doing that.
Indecision14 is offline   Reply With Quote