Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #141
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig View Post
Can a 450 rwhp Gen 5 Camaro run better than 11.49 ET? Even with DR's or slicks?

Assume, the torque converter is stock.

I'm really curious.
Yes stock converter. As soon as I get my traction issues resolved, I'll be there....NHRA no cage legal 11.5x
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #142
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
Also, many won't admit the fact that with the Z28 coming out, they want to be able to keep up with, or dust it....
Z28... I want to be able to dust pretty much everything. I don't like the idea of someone being faster. Shooting for 130mph trap speeds.. my old 4cylinder trapped 124mph with only $6000 in parts. I am not running into a 4 cylinder on the highway & losing
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #143
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
Here is two dyno runs done today. They were done on a liberal DYNOJET (that are all supposed to read high). These are the highest numbers I've had to date and I think these runs still confirm my statement of "well under 500 rwhp.
466 rwhp is 93% of 500 rwhp. Your definition of "well under" is much different than mine. You'd have to be under 400 rwhp for me to say you are well under 500 rwhp. A simple pulley swap will pick up 30 rwhp for you. Might take you 10 minutes to perform that mighty install.

But, then you'd say 496 rwhp is still well under 500. Probably just to be annoying. LOL

I could start an equally dumb thread to this one, and call it "why the infatuation with 466+ rwhp?" and net the same responses.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #144
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
So if you can't use it at the strip without a cage and you can't use it on the street cause it won't come close to hooking, the only real purpose of it is "bragging rights"?
There's other forms of racing besides drag.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #145
2SSCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
466 rwhp is 93% of 500 rwhp. Your definition of "well under" is much different than mine. You'd have to be under 400 rwhp for me to say you are well under 500 rwhp. A simple pulley swap will pick up 30 rwhp for you. Might take you 10 minutes to perform that mighty install.

But, then you'd say 496 rwhp is still well under 500. Probably just to be annoying. LOL

I could start an equally dumb thread to this one, and call it "why the infatuation with 466+ rwhp?" and net the same responses.
You can try to put a spin on the subject all you want but my statement of well under 500 rwhp is just as factual as a statement by someone who says that their car makes well over 500 rwhp when they in fact make 534 rwhp.Using your criteria they would have to make more than 600 rwhp for you to agree they make well over 500. Now that's what I call dumb! Given enormous amounts of horsepower, almost any dim wit can run high traps speeds and relitively low et.s. The challenge and competitiveness are running the highest trap speeds and lowest et's with the least amount of horsepower coupled with consistant low reaction times, but that does require some driving skill. You may find this hard to believe but I do know how to make lots of horsepower and can well afford to do so if I choose. I will run the quickest et's allowable by NHRA safety rules for a non caged cars and I will do it legally with well under 500 rwhp and driving skills.
Now go sell some more tires and wheels so you can buy more horsepower.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #146
Nine Ball

I'm glad you can afford things. I'm glad you consider yourself an excellent driver with that automatic transmission. I'm glad you think other people cannot afford things, or drive well, because they sell wheels on this site. Feel better now?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #147
2SSCAMARO

No I really don't feel any better. What would make me feel better would be to run against all that extra horsepower of yours in a 11.50 bracket match and beat the snot out of you every time. Seeing as this will probably never happen, why don't you just post up three consectutive runs showing any kind of consistancy and ability to react, launch and run consistant numbers because that's the only way to win repeatedly.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #148
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
If you're debating consistency... I would congratulate a stick driver over an auto any day for being consistently consistent. No offense to the L99 people, but for the most part, you put it in gear and mash the accelerator.. I know that there are some exception when you start getting faster and swapping out trannies.. but, for the most part.. Us stick drivers do have to work harder at the track to run true and consistent.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #149
2SSCAMARO

Yeh but congratulations do not repeatedly win races. How many top drag racers choose a conventional manual transmissions as their choice ..... answer is hardly none and I'm not talking the likes of lenco's as being conventional. Stick shifts were starting to fall out of popularity as far back as 1962 when the dodge boys began running the torqueflite trannys in their 426 hemi's. To win consistantly you need to remove or control all variables and a stick shift is one variable you can eliminate.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 AM   #150
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
I understand that and it's why I actually even referenced it in my reply about going faster and swapping out transmissions and such. Yes, there comes a point to where a Human is mechanically unable to move that fast and a computer is needed, but that's not until you get to extremely low 1/4 times.

My comment was to the fact that I'm much more impressed when a Human is consistent than a grouping of machines. Machines are built to be that way, we're not. In fact, there are several pieces of the Human anatomy that work very effectively by taking averages and being less precise. Your vision does it all the time.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #151
Nine Ball

Quote:
No I really don't feel any better. What would make me feel better would be to run against all that extra horsepower of yours in a 11.50 bracket match and beat the snot out of you every time. Seeing as this will probably never happen, why don't you just post up three consectutive runs showing any kind of consistancy and ability to react, launch and run consistant numbers because that's the only way to win repeatedly.
Again, you simply underestimate the backgrounds of others who visit this site. I set quite a few records in the LSX engine drag racing world, in the early days of developing the performance modifications for these engines. I used to bracket race at least twice a week, in a manual transmission Formula Firebird that ran 10s on motor alone. That car was also my daily driver. I ran in the sportsman class at many NHRA events, against mostly Stock Eliminator cars. In my daily driver. With A/C, with leather seats, no weight removed. The car weighed 3,650 lbs, yet still clocked 10.6s at 128-129 mph with 1.4x short times. With a 6-speed manual.

Here is a vid of my old car, in the finals of a major event back in 2002. I was paired up against another S/E car for the finals, he won by 0.001 seconds. I beat him by 0.001 off the tree. 10.69 dial in with a 10.70 run in the finals. I won quite a few events, but this is the only vid I have handy. In his fully equipped drag car, vs my manual transmission street car. My car was faster, I had to give him the head start. I had to go 7 rounds to get to the finals. Consistency was my thing back then.

View Video on FQuick

Now, please quit assuming you are the only drag racing expert on an internet site. The fact is that there are numerous of us out here. Your 11.50 car is about as fast as my current daily driver, a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. If you think 11.50s impress me, you are also mistaken. Better try single digit ET's to get my attention. I'd have to go maybe half throttle in a couple of my cars to slow down to your 11.50 bracket class. And spare me the driving skills nonsense while you have the automatic transmission. You simply removed driver skill by choosing that transmission. Try a road course if you want to see real driving skill requirements.

Last edited by Nine Ball; 02-07-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:38 PM   #152
Nine Ball

Found another video from the same day, taken during qualifying rounds.

10.67 on this one. Dial-in was 10.69 most of the day.

View Video on FQuick

Do you think you could drive a 10.6 car with a manual transmission and be consistent too? I can.

BTW, those timeslips you posted do not show me anything in terms of your consistency. The R/T vary quite a bit, and so does your ET. You'd get smoked in any real competition with a swing in R/T and ET like those. Most of the guys I ran with were dialed in to within 0.02 second of each pass, with finalists running within 0.01 second of their dial-in. NO electronics, either.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #153
2SSCAMARO

Your just throwing more spin in the thread. Now you want to compare my daily driver that is not built or meant to go faster than 11.50 to your previous true race cars. You originally were comparing your high horsepower stick 2010 camaro to mine. I have been beaten by Z06's and a 10 second S-10 pickukp truck too but what is the relevance. Now your idea of competition is for me to run heads up against your previous true race car. We are talking 2010 camaros here not Supersnakes and Z06's and trans ams and whatever. What does your current 2010 camaro CONSISTANTLY RUN... like in three back to back runs, that's what I'd like to see. What does all that extra horsepower you have over mine and your expert stick shift driving do for you to compete legally in brackets 11.50 and higher. If I want a car to go faster than 11.50 I do not start out with a 4000 pound lead sled, it would be a 2500 pound tube chassis car.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #154
Nine Ball

Now my 535 rwhp 2010 Camaro is considered "high horsepower".

Your sense of descriptive adjectives is broken. "Well under" and "high horsepower" is only 60 hp difference, eh?

There is no spin here. You started the silly thread. Then you act like you can't figure out why people want 500 rwhp when you yourself have 466 rwhp. That alone is absurd. Then you go on to say how awesome your driving skill is, and how consistent your car is. Well, it isn't. Then you assume that I have to sell wheels to afford more power under the hood, which is comical. You are the one that keeps spinning the thread, I'm merely replying. You asked for proof of my consistency, I gave you an example of my abilities in a car that is FAR more demanding of a driver than your car is. And, it ran far more consistent. It was also a daily driver. That car had no weight removed, other than drag wheels on it. It still had power everything, A/C, leather interior, radio, everything the car came with from the factory. It also only put down 524 rwhp, without a blower. Tell me this, what is your quickest car owned to date? Post some vids and timeslips of that car. I want to see your expertise in motion.

As for real racecars, this is one that I built. It went 9s on a heads/cam setup and some nitrous. That was back in 2004. It wasn't a street car like my blue one was.

I'm not sure why I even reply though, maybe I find your replies amusing.

Closed Thread