Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
2L82RUN

Drives: ABM SS/RS
Because it's FUN!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Because I can!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Power is all relative on how you want to use it, intend to use it and what other modifications you have made or want to make to support it. With upgraded suspension and good tires you can hook a serious amount of horsepower.

One other thing to remember is power on-tap. Not as much for pure street as track, but in events like Maxton Mile, Silver State Classic Challenge and Open Track (road track) days a lot of people feel underpowered. Drag strips are a whole other venue that runs the gamut. Many 1/8 mile tracks have lax rules since top end is considerably slower that 1/4 mile.

Just depends on your personal tastes. There are no wrong answers. If people really LEARN how to drive their car including taking performance driving lessons for drag, road and autocross a lot of fun can be had.

Just another < .02
Old 12-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #18
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Wow, kind of like asking Warren Buffet why he still works, he cant spend what he has.
Or in other words as was said above "If you have to ask"
Sounds ike you should be driving a Cruze, as it is more "practical".
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
Old 12-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
I have street tires and 500 rwhp and I do fine on the street. Once you get the feel for the car and learn how to minimize wheel spin and use your power in upper gears you blow past people real good. But as far as lining up both cars most likely going to spin. Get a good set of DR's and learn the car 500-550 can make the perfect street car that can be impressive and beat alot of cars. At the track which I go to maybe once a year see what you run the get kicked out lol. No cage for me ever! I will just stay off the track
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
Old 12-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
Because Stock is for people who bought it for looks or people who want to collect. I personally bought it because I grew up loving muscle cars and have always dreamt of owning my own gen. brand new muscle car that I would be the only owner of so GM. built it and I bought my dream car. Its the only brand new car I will ever own and I will be its only driver. watch the documentry called "LOVE THE BEAST" then you will understand us better.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #21
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
Tech differs from track to track. I've seen instances at my local track where they have let people make 9 second passes with only a helmet (no jacket, license, roll bar, etc).

Now that sounds like a track I would not care to race at. A guy that has that little regard for his own safety surely has no regard for the guy in the adjacent lane.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #22
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
There's more to racing than the drag strip. For recreation I've never seen a road course that requires a cage. Solo x does not either.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #23
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k king View Post
if ya gotta ask, ya wouldn't understand.

why would anyone want 400 hp...it's just a waste of gas when ya can do the speed limit with 100 hp or less.

i think it's called fun power, not horse power.
What He said
Old 12-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #24
BlissStreet
High Plains Drifter

Drives: Captiva 3.2, Aveo 1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
There's more to racing than the drag strip. For recreation I've never seen a road course that requires a cage. Solo x does not either.
QFT. Not everyone likes to limit their fun to a 1/4 mile at a time, nor constrain themselves to driving in a straight line.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #25
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
...Some people find more joy out of building the car than actually racing it.
This sums it up for me...I enjoy the build most of all...
Old 12-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #26
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L82RUN View Post
Because it's FUN!!!!

Thats sums it up
Old 12-12-2010, 03:42 AM   #27
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
Now that sounds like a track I would not care to race at. A guy that has that little regard for his own safety surely has no regard for the guy in the adjacent lane.
I understand your point, but here's the deal as far as I am concerned... You can get killed walking down the sidewalk... happens more often than you think... Driving the public roadways of this country in most areas is a gamble. It's not a matter of will it happen, it's a matter of when it will... A very select few people get out of here without ever having suffered a wreck in an automobile, they are lucky in my opinion, rather than super skilled... Look at all the accidents where someone just pulls out in front of other people with no warning or indication... How do you avoid that... it isn't skill, it's luck...

25 years on the streets as a practicing paramedic taught me a few things...
1. Live Life... you never know when it's going to be over...
2. No regrets...
3. It doesn't matter what you're doing, when it's your time, you're gone...

I have a very high regard for the lives of others as well as my own... but I'm going to live...

I've made calls for people walking in their house that tripped or slipped on something and ended up a statistic. I made calls on wrecks where the roaches couldn't have survived, and the drivers and passengers were walking around trying to figure out how much it would cost to fix...

My point is... you never know,

As my signature says, I want to arrive at the pearly gates having lived life, not having worried every day if something was going to happen... Am I an adrenalin [sp?] junky, no, do certain things excite me, hell yes...

I don't jump out of perfectly good flying aircraft, but I do lots of other things the hand wringers would say is a lifestyle with a death wish...

If you drive onto a "racetrack," there is an implied risk... You, (all people) the individual need to understand that... Yes safety equipment saves some lives, but at the same time not having safety equipment on can and does periodically do the same thing...(Yes believe me I know the statistics, but refer to my life lesson # 3 above) The unfortunate part is that as property owners, the tracks are susceptible to law suits from people that fail to grasp that they have entered an area that some consider dangerous. Post fatality lawsuits have only cost lots of money and have never brought anyone back...

Is safety equipment going to keep you from running into the other car, or the wall, probably not; at the same time, not having safety equipment will not make you run into the other car or the wall either.

If you want an exciting and wild ride, without "too" much danger, sleep with someone that excites you... If you wanna know how bad your car is, take it to a track... Kicking cars off the track for a lack of safety equipment on the occasional weekend warrior racer pushes that performance need (read want/desire) onto the street, where it certainly isn't needed...

If the car does not pass muster, have the driver sign their life away in front of a notary and allow them to make solo passes...

Oh, and I'm starting my quest for substantially more than 500 HP in a few weeks... I'm looking for around 1000 at the crank... Twin Turbo's, 427 ci, etc..etc...etc...on a street legal mostly daily driver... Why... cause I can and it's mine...

Cheers...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
Old 12-12-2010, 04:18 AM   #28
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
For me, 0 to 60 (or 75) entering the expressway safely is very important to me.

Closed Thread