Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #29
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Ok, here is the actual answer. It's very simple. All this justification and philosophizing is great, but the actual answer is:

"Because I like it!"
Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #30
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
don't shoot me on this but he has a good question.
here is my good question. how do you get in the 10"s with 500 rwhp?
I'm going Vortec. soon just for the fun of it. not planing on draging all the time.Just till i get it diled in.then some track time. standing mile too.

Team LS-3
Old 12-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #31
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
P.S it IS a musle car.lol

Team LS-3
Old 12-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #32
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
500rwhp won't get you ten second runs..... on an otherwise stock camaro...

Look I appreciate that 500 RWHP is impractical and even excessive...

But the same argument can be made for a stock SS...

I can tell you first hand that most of the camaro owners at C5FI couldn't effectively launch a STOCK camaro. So much so that SGMP turned the Tree off for the rookies... which there were a lot of...

So it's relative...

Why do you own a Tag Heuer watch when a casio will do...

Why do you own a $600 dollar suit when a jc penny one will do.

Why do you own a CTS when a Malibu will do.

Why do you own a $400K house when a $100K home will do.

Just some examples....
As far as the safety aspect is concerned.... any car can be driven fast enough to kill.

And if you go to the track to drag race and don't understand that there is a chance you can wreck or be wrecked into... you probably shouldn't be there.... The hp of the car next to you has little bearing on whether or not he takes you out....

IMVHO, the bottom line is to be responsible with what you have.... WOT in a 500 rwhp car on city streets is irresponsible.

That same car on a drag strip is more responsible use of that car... There is a reason why ET is the measure they use instead of HP to determine safety gear. There are more 12 second 500+ cars than 11 sec ones.

FWIW
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #33
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
I agree with the above and here is one that no one really mentioned. I built for Torque not RWHP. You will never feel horsepower thru your ass or be pressed into the seat by HP. But give me 700 lbs of torque at 2500 rpms and you are talking permagrin vintage 1969. Torque is very manageable on the street. I for one like to be able to jump out and pass a truck going uphill on a mountain pass pulling out of 1200 rmp in sixth gear. Thats why I did it and love it.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #34
VonDutch

Drives: Z06 Corvette
It's A Man Thing

Vettetrick.com
Old 12-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #35
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDutch View Post
It's A Man Thing
It's not just a man thing.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #36
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
500rwhp won't get you ten second runs..... on an otherwise stock camaro...

Look I appreciate that 500 RWHP is impractical and even excessive...

But the same argument can be made for a stock SS...

I can tell you first hand that most of the camaro owners at C5FI couldn't effectively launch a STOCK camaro. So much so that SGMP turned the Tree off for the rookies... which there were a lot of...

So it's relative...

Why do you own a Tag Heuer watch when a casio will do...

Why do you own a $600 dollar suit when a jc penny one will do.

Why do you own a CTS when a Malibu will do.

Why do you own a $400K house when a $100K home will do.

Just some examples....
As far as the safety aspect is concerned.... any car can be driven fast enough to kill.

And if you go to the track to drag race and don't understand that there is a chance you can wreck or be wrecked into... you probably shouldn't be there.... The hp of the car next to you has little bearing on whether or not he takes you out....

IMVHO, the bottom line is to be responsible with what you have.... WOT in a 500 rwhp car on city streets is irresponsible.

That same car on a drag strip is more responsible use of that car... There is a reason why ET is the measure they use instead of HP to determine safety gear. There are more 12 second 500+ cars than 11 sec ones.

FWIW
This is off topic BUT

Is it your perception that one of these guys you described running in the adjacent lane with 600 or 700 RWHP is no more of a hazard than him being there with say 400???
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #37
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
This is off topic BUT

Is it your perception that one of these guys you described running in the adjacent lane with 600 or 700 RWHP is no more of a hazard than him being there with say 400???
Unfortunately people do not know or refuse to admit their limitations.

A good driver in a 700 HP car is probably substantially less dangerous in any situation than a poor driver in a hybrid with 80 HP. There are people that can drive and those that should not... which is why the roads are not generally considered safe... and everyone should drive defensively. In this case, a mistake by the good driver just gets them to the wreck a lot faster... "they will beat the paramedics by thirty minutes..." Ron White.

As I mentioned above, when you drive onto a race track, you knowingly accept that you are in a place where stuff happens... If you do not realize this, you are one of the crowd that should not be driving... since in my opinion a race track is a safer place than the roads of America... You can bet the driver pushing his or her car to the limits is paying attention, not watching a DVD, listening to some evangelist, texting, eating a donut and drinking coffee from Mc D's that is 418 degrees F at the same time they are changing clothes and reading a map...`

As we all should realize, driving, the world over has grown progressively worse, with attention grabbing devices. Texting, talking on the phone without using hands free... talking on the phone as far as I'm concerned... DVD players in the dash... etc... the list goes on and on... People talking on the phone are in many cases doing so because they are bored... which is the same as saying they are not paying attention...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
Old 12-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #38
Darth_Emma

I'd assume the person in the other lane at the drag strip probably isn't texting... Maybe I'm just naive though.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #39
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
This is off topic BUT

absolutely.

A V6 camaro is just as likely to loose control as a V8. ...

RARELY do to cars collide on the drag strip... It just doesn't happen...

I'd much rather line up next to a rookie on the strip with 500+ then have some idiot weaving in and out of traffic at 100+ in a minivan.

You are far more likely to get in a wreck driving every day than you are on the strip.

Again, I'll use the fest... even with all the rookies... NOT ONE accident.. NOT ONE...

Couple guys got loose but everyone got to the finish safely.

I'm not sayin you have to go chase down big power... Nor even understand those of us that have..

Is it bragging rights???... I don't know about that... Do I enjoy the look on peoples faces when I tell them how much RWHP my car makes? Of course I do... But I don't introduce myself as the guy with the 500 hp camaro...

Call it personalization, just like wheels or paint... Some choose to personalize their cars with performance...

It seems to me you think that 500+ is irresponsible... I don't know if I can ever change your mind on that... But I'd just ask that we agree to disagree and move on.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #40
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
This post is un-American.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #41
Darth_Emma

2SSCamaro:
I'm just curious why you got the V8 instead of a V6? Why the Pace Car?
Just curious.
BTW, I think it looks great.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #42
madmike2c

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
why is 500 rehp good? why are boobs good? why is beer good? why are rainbows good? it just is.

Closed Thread