Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Single Turbo or Centri SC?

Just need some thoughts here, I am stuck between the two.....

Factors I need input on:

Reliability
Maintenance
Drivability (this is my DD)
Efficiency

I have read to the point my eyes want to fall out, now I just need some input to help me spend my money lol..

Thank you in advance
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
I'm a centri guy, so I'm biased. They make big horsepower and are pretty tame on the street under normal driving. They are more reliable than turbos in my opinion, because they have good end-to-end kits. A lot of the turbo kits are fab jobs that can have issues if certain elements of the kits aren't perfect. Vortech maintenance is easy. Change the oil like you change motor oil. Done. What do you mean by efficiency? Gas mileage? Boost power?
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Birm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
I'm a centri guy, so I'm biased. They make big horsepower and are pretty tame on the street under normal driving. They are more reliable than turbos in my opinion, because they have good end-to-end kits. A lot of the turbo kits are fab jobs that can have issues if certain elements of the kits aren't perfect. Vortech maintenance is easy. Change the oil like you change motor oil. Done. What do you mean by efficiency? Gas mileage? Boost power?
Exactly that! Boost power and Gas Mileage.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
ZachSGMSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM Camaro
Turbo... :emoticon7:
ZachSGMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Exactly that! Boost power and Gas Mileage.
I won't lie, I only get about 11 MPG now with the Vortech. You will probably do a lot better with a turbo.

Dollar-per-horsepower though, I'm thinking supercharger is gonna be cheaper than turbo.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
Birm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachSGMSS View Post
Turbo... :emoticon7:
haha Figured you'd chime in lol
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Depends on end goals. 500-600 and be happy and never mess with it, you can go either. Once you start pushing into higher numbers go turbo.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
kpwalls06
Cory

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6;
OP, you need to elaborate a bit more. What are your power goals, and is there a chance you would want to expand in the future? Will you want to crank the power for an occasional drag run? If you just want a little extra power without altering anything in the kit, and you don't plan on forging the motor, centri kits are cheaper and reliable. If you plan to forge, turbo kits can be run to higher boost, with less parisitic loss on the motor. Also, one of the centri kits just released a variable boost control setup, so maybe look into that.

My advice, find a reputable builder/tuner that you feel comfortable with, and explore your options with them from all angles, i.e. power goals, cost, future expansion, ancillary equipment, reliability, etc. Personally, I chose a single large turbo because I have a forged 418ci motor, and I want the option of cranking the boost in competition situations. Best of luck with your build!
kpwalls06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Birm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Depends on end goals. 500-600 and be happy and never mess with it, you can go either. Once you start pushing into higher numbers go turbo.
End Goal...is there ever one? After I did the Cam/Headers etc I thought I would be happy...Lost its fun shortly after. I would like to be in the 6's with room to expand in the future as money becomes more available..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpwalls06 View Post
OP, you need to elaborate a bit more. What are your power goals, and is there a chance you would want to expand in the future? Will you want to crank the power for an occasional drag run? If you just want a little extra power without altering anything in the kit, and you don't plan on forging the motor, centri kits are cheaper and reliable. If you plan to forge, turbo kits can be run to higher boost, with less parisitic loss on the motor. Also, one of the centri kits just released a variable boost control setup, so maybe look into that.

My advice, find a reputable builder/tuner that you feel comfortable with, and explore your options with them from all angles, i.e. power goals, cost, future expansion, ancillary equipment, reliability, etc. Personally, I chose a single large turbo because I have a forged 418ci motor, and I want the option of cranking the boost in competition situations. Best of luck with your build!
I am working with Matt @ RX formally of ECS. I have talked to him about both options and he likes both options lol, hence why I just needed to get another opinion.

Both Centri/Turbo will have me in the 6's and both can be expanded to go harder.

My car is a DD with the occasional Strip run and occasional Road Course. It is an M6. I have no plans of forging the motor as I have seen plenty of Stock bottom ends hold power pretty well, I did do the valvetrain and do plan on upgrading my Drive-Train (axles etc..)

I am in the process of finishing my suspension which I am doing before so I can actually get the power to the ground.

My main concern is reliability of the system and maintenance of it, durability and production @ said boost.

I will be adding Meth for safety (not tuning for it for the power only as a precaution) and I have a ZL1 Fuel Pump and BAP for my fuel system.

I hope I covered everything and I really do appreciate your input and everyone elses
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
I don't have either, but I'll tell you what made my decision. Drive a few. Go watch a dyno session or two. That fancy new supercharger with the transmission in it is to try and be more like a turbo with a boost controller.
Go drive a 335i like I did. That's turbo done right. Gobs of midrange and such smooth pulling to redline.
Now, if we are talking about 100whp, then there is no doubt a big centri will be easier on the car. But around 600whp I think with turbos you can have your cake and eat it too. Full boost before 4000, and held until redline. I'm shooting for full boost by 3500. I think the whole appeal of a v8 is gobs of torque in the middle with a nice finish. Almost all the local camaro guys go PD because 5-600whp centris do not preserve the character of the car. Problem with them is that they make a bunch of heat and don't allow for a good cooling solution. The 5-600whp aren't pushing the pd blowers super hard though, so it works. That's why I've decided turbo, becasue you can have pd blower torque and centri efficiency!
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
You know how I feel...Centri all the way
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I have a ysi in my camaro. It is very manageable around town and other than it is loud, it drives like stock until you put your foot in it. The power is very linear.

I have ridden in a large single turbo car. When it hit boost, the dyno graph was more like a wall than a line or curve. When it came into boost, it was breaking the tires loose (drag radials) at 80+ mph on the highway.

My vote is biased but I say go with the centri.

Better yet, get a ride in cars with them and make the informed decision.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
ModernMuscle

Drives: Dodge Magnum SRT8 S/C
I say go Centri for reliability and ease of use. I have yet seen a Turbo out run a S/C pound for pound
ModernMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
Birm

@ Uno Good point man, thanks!

@ Vanquisher yea bro I got you lol

@ Blake, thanks for your input. I am hoping to go for a ride in Matt's which has the ECS kit, it will be a little different since its an A6 but should give me a good idea.

@ Modern Muscle, I am really leaning to the Centri, even though the Turbo cost wise is the much better deal at the moment. Thanks for your input