Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #57
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachDad View Post
I am doing my first AutoCross next week.

I assume you are leaving all the traction control and stabilization stuff on, right? That must help on an autocross.
As a beginner yes, learning how to drive the car nice and smooth with the controls on is a great way to start. Once you start getting fast you will start needing less help from the system and rely on your own feet and hands to keep the car on track

/Erik
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #58
Cynthius

Drives: '11 2LT/RS (M6) & '85 Toyota MR2
Lapping not auto-x, but I finally get a chance to contribute to this thread.

Here are a few laps at Calaboge MSP. My first time out. Made a lot of mistakes and hesitated a little in this session but it was the only one I recorded 'cause I kept forgetting to turn it on. Anyway, all things to work on for next time.

Like many others, I can't seem to embed the video, but here's the link:

Last edited by Cynthius; 05-23-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Read the FAQ for youtube vids :$
Cynthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #59
boltvette

Drives: 1963 Corvette, 2001 Corvette
The most important question: Did you have fun?

One thing I noticed on you vid is that you're taking your right hand off of the wheel way too long to make your shifts. It's a bad habit that you want to break. Things happen very quickly at speed, even on the straights, where you'll be going the fastest. You want both hands on the wheel, except for the split second it should take you to shift.

Welcome to the club of track day junkies!
2-seater "Camaro" w/JMS Racing LS3; C5 Z06 trans; C6 ZR1 exhaust; Dynatech catback; Ron Davis radiator; trans, diff & engine oil coolers; Pfadt JOC Stage 1 bars & shocks; C6 Z51 brakes; Angelwings C5 Track Day Bar; Angel Pads!
boltvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #60
Cynthius

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltvette View Post
The most important question: Did you have fun?

One thing I noticed on you vid is that you're taking your right hand off of the wheel way too long to make your shifts. It's a bad habit that you want to break. Things happen very quickly at speed, even on the straights, where you'll be going the fastest. You want both hands on the wheel, except for the split second it should take you to shift.

Welcome to the club of track day junkies!
Thanks! I had a blast!! You're absolutely right about the shifting, I corrected that (for the most part) in later sessions because I was less hesitant but still something I'm aware of and need to work on for next time. I have a hard time with the heel-toe blip as well, mostly cause the pedal spacing and my narrow soles which is also something I need to work on. My line had improved throughout the day as well, this was a complex track that was easy to get "lost" on.

Can't wait to get back out there and improve on all of the above and more!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #61
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthius View Post
Thanks! I had a blast!! You're absolutely right about the shifting, I corrected that (for the most part) in later sessions because I was less hesitant but still something I'm aware of and need to work on for next time. I have a hard time with the heel-toe blip as well, mostly cause the pedal spacing and my narrow soles which is also something I need to work on. My line had improved throughout the day as well, this was a complex track that was easy to get "lost" on.

Can't wait to get back out there and improve on all of the above and more!
Looks like fun. How did you mount your camera and what kind of camera did you use?
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #62
Cynthius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
Looks like fun. How did you mount your camera and what kind of camera did you use?
I used a GoPro Hero 2, mounted with the suction cup from the sunroof, then flipped and trimmed the video using MS Movie Maker or whatever the free Window editor is called.

Crappy thing with the GoPro is that if you don't buy the LCD backpack, there's no screen or view hole, so you're aiming blindly. If you don't have something like a laptop or whatever to check the video, you could be filming a shit angle all day.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #63
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
<SOON>
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #64
CUONCRS

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS/RS
My autocross youtube page is:
http://www.youtube.com/cuoncrs

I always load my latest videos there.

Action Photo:

Here's a quick video of a pivot cone that I e-braked!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #65
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
I'm going to try it this summer. I have a question...how difficult is it to follow the course? Every time I watch a video, and someone exits a turn, I think to myself, "Where the **** does the course go? Which way?"

Is it something easier to see in person?

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #66
CUONCRS

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
I'm going to try it this summer. I have a question...how difficult is it to follow the course? Every time I watch a video, and someone exits a turn, I think to myself, "Where the **** does the course go? Which way?"

They always allow you to walk the course before hand, so you can figure out your path. But it's still easy to get lost the first few times. Heck, even pros get lost still.

Try to find someone that will walk with you, and help you understand the cones and the way they should be pointing you where to go. Course designs differ by site, so it's hard to know what the people in your area will do, but it should be easy to understand once you know how and why they did it.

Break the course up in your mind into segments, there's only so much a course can do. A series of slalom cones that you have to weave, big sweeping turns, a series of gates that shift you back and forth, that kind of thing. If you can break it into a few segments, then it's easy to remember on course that you are in a slalom, and a sweeping left hand is next, then a slalom after that, etc...

Most important, your first run is never your fastest, so don't over do it. Take some off, feel the flow of the course, don't worry if you do miss a gate or whatever, just get back on course and keep going.

Also, many regions allow riders, so sign up for later heats, and go for rides in earlier heats if you can. Also, working the course gives you a view of the other cars and the flow of the course.

Most organizations will go out of their way to help new people, but you have to ask for help, or you will not get noticed.

In summary, it's totally worth trying out. There's no pressure to perform other than what you put on yourself. Have fun, be safe, and drive it like you stole it.

Hope that helps and doesn't scare you more.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #67
Muck_Fustangs

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Muck_Fustangs
Its so easy dude. Motorcycle cross is what you have to worry about. autocross piece of cake.

On some events you get only six runs So, you better master the course quick. That's what makes autocross competitive...

this event next week, ill be putting down 800 or so rwhp on an autocross event but all i expect is rubber all over the course haha
Old 06-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #68
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post

Go S L O W. Clark Kent was Superboy before he was Superman. Each run pick up speed, and advice! You will see things clearly after you know when to break, give it gas, look for lines etc. No one expects you to win. You WILL have fun on each run. In time it will click and you will see massive leaps in time and rankings.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #69
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
here is a link to a video i shot this last tuesday. its from the corvette museum event at VIR. during this session, i was on track with andy pilgrim and other pros in modified corvetts. the little camaro will move but at these speeds, a small mistake could be serious. i was in the top run group and they allowed passing anywhere. this is by far the most exciting track ive ever driven.

JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #70
Muck_Fustangs

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Muck_Fustangs
It's hard to autocross a 800+ hp lol... didnt do too good. drag race videos are at another thread lol...