Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southcentral

Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
SCCA Starting Line at NOLA Motorsports Park March 7-8

Is anyone else on here going to this event? Im going to get my feet wet in the twisties, Ive been on the 1320' many times, but im ready to use my 1LE for its built purpose.

Also, they offer a pretty bad ass price to join/attend/compete and if like me, buy a nice hemet.

http://www.sccastartingline.com/
Old 02-25-2015, 12:08 AM   #2
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
I wish I could join you but my baby won't be ready in time. Anyways, have you taken a look at NOLA's HPDE classes? They consist of a class and a ride along instructor that are broken up into 4 different groups/classes. If things go well at the track scheduling wise, you can potentially get between four to six 20 minute track sessions.

-Classes 1 & 2 is your beginner class where both have a ride along instructor and a pre-race class.
-Classes 3 & 4 run without a ride along instructor but still participate in a pre-race class.

Another thing that separates classes 3 & 4 from the others is that they run with the NASA time trial group to maximize the track usage/availability. Below is a link to the NASA HPDE and north track registration pages.
https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/1968
http://www.motorsportreg.com/venues/...rk-avondale-la

Something else thing they used to do which was nice were "Drag-n-Laps". They consist of a 1/4 mile lap time down the pit straight and then run down the final sector of the north track (after turn #2 you would take a right and hit the chicanes on the back stretch and then pit). The entire lap was timed and it was open to everything from dragsters to honda civics and it was only 45 bucks for the day.

On a side note, I'm rather curious to see how the 1LE holds up at the track (being that mine is a 2015 1LE as well). I was talking to a guy that has been tracking his ZL1 for the past eight times. So far the car has held up remarkably well while at the same time giving the European and Ford guys hell.

Last edited by cajun1le; 02-25-2015 at 12:32 AM.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrv2kgt-s View Post
I wish I could join you but my baby won't be ready in time. Anyways, have you taken a look at NOLA's HPDE classes? They consist of a class and a ride along instructor that are broken up into 4 different groups/classes. If things go well at the track scheduling wise, you can potentially get between four to six 20 minute track sessions.

-Classes 1 & 2 is your beginner class where both have a ride along instructor and a pre-race class.
-Classes 3 & 4 run without a ride along instructor but still participate in a pre-race class.

Another thing that separates classes 3 & 4 from the others is that they run with the NASA time trial group to maximize the track usage/availability. Below is a link to the NASA HPDE and north track registration pages.
https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/1968
http://www.motorsportreg.com/venues/...rk-avondale-la

Something else thing they used to do which was nice were "Drag-n-Laps". They consist of a 1/4 mile lap time down the pit straight and then run down the final sector of the north track (after turn #2 you would take a right and hit the chicanes on the back stretch and then pit). The entire lap was timed and it was open to everything from dragsters to honda civics and it was only 45 bucks for the day.

On a side note, I'm rather curious to see how the 1LE holds up at the track (being that mine is a 2015 1LE as well). I was talking to a guy that has been tracking his ZL1 for the past eight times. So far the car has held up remarkably well while at the same time giving the European and Ford guys hell.
Maybe on the next go around I'll see you out there.

I have looked into the HPDE and the one upcoming in May is on my tentative short list of things to do, I'm going to use the starting line weekend to get a feel for weather or not this is the hobby I want to dump my money into (which I already know the answer is yes), and then I'm on to a nasa membership and the HPDE1 just to get the feel for the track from an instructor.

I've seen a few videos of the Drag-N-Lap, its seems like a good time, but I didn't see anything about it on their calendar thus far.

I hope that the 1LE holds out, after reading the 2 horror stories in the 1LE specific forum and knowing that GM used highly inadequate clutch parts from the get go scares me a little bit.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
cajun1le
The Mechanic

Drives: a sports car
Yeah, I should be ready around then. I'm still in the process of stocking up for track day consumables. I still need to order my dedicated track day rims, 2nd set of tires, 2nd set of track rotors, pads and so on. The first time that I would be ready to run a HPDE should be sometime around September/October. But before then I will have at least a few Auto-X events under my belt when its time. If anything, we'll meet up and get a few pics of the cars together at the track or something.

As for the Drag-n-Laps, I'm not sure they're interested in doing that again. The Track Directors that used to run and manage that no longer work at the Nola Motorsports. Wes was hired as a track director in California to build a track out there and Matt is now the track director up in Bowling green. Its a shame, but maybe they might do it again if enough people push for it.

In regards to the reliability of our cars, you really have to determine the source of the information. The thread in the 1LE forum is a special case, he tracked his car hard for three weekends and he expects GM to cover the repairs for doing so. It's not rational to track the car hard and expect GM to cover abusive damages. He also failed to track prep his car before and after. With the guy I was talking with this past weekend in the red ZL1 says the car is rock solid. He did install a second clutch reservoir and he changes the fluid in the clutch after every track weekend. When he changes it, he doesn't bleed it at the clutch, but rather he exchanges the fluid in the tank and so far from his experience it has worked out great for him. Also, he changed both fluids to a DOT4 spec and he bleeds the brakes after each weekend too. Now he has over 30K miles, nine track weekends under his belt and no problems with shifting or braking. I understand that this is just one observed case, but I believe through proper maintenance the car will work great on the track.
cajun1le is offline   Reply With Quote