Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #29
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazm View Post
the required upgrades?

turbo kit 4500
limited slip diff 200+ (depending on what you want to do)
driveshaft 300-500

if you are an auto, the trans is ok, otherwise the T5 needs to be upgraded.
Not bad. I'm assuming the kit probably came with an intercooler and other cooling mods, did the kit come with a boost controller?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #30
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Sounds good. You'll save $8K right off the bat.

That 3.6 is a highly advanced engine. Can't wait to see what it can do with mods. I wonder if there are any mods out for it since it's already in the Caddy.
You might save $8k up front but I guarantee you the first major mod you do will take that $8k right out of your pocket and then some. Mods like that are not only expensive they are fickle as hell. A buddy of mine dropped a Twin Turbo Supra motor in a Lexus LS-430. Ran strong for a while and I mean strong. Then he took it to the dino to get tuned. Dumped like 430hp on the first pull then ate itself. In the last three years that motor has crapped on the dino twice, been out of that car 4 times, had two cranks installed, had heads ported and had a valve job, been converted to a single turbo (this is what I call the Tool Time upgrade) and a tone of stuff I can’t even think of with the drive train.

Not to mention mods to brakes and suspension cause if your going to add considerable amount of power and not upgrade that as well, I recommend budgeting for a five point and a roll cage. I got a handful of stories like this I can tell ya about almost every moded car I know of. You can spend $8k now or $12-$15k (try to put a number on what I just wrote: drivetrain, brakes, suspension) tomorrow. Making power is easy. Making RELIABLE power you can street is very difficult. And honestly, it’s been my experience few people do it better than the factory. I’m not saying don’t do it, cause who doesn’t want to see forced induction on these things, but don’t do it thinking your going to save money. Plus what is three miles per gallon really going to cost you?
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #31
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
You might save $8k up front but I guarantee you the first major mod you do will take that $8k right out of your pocket and then some. Mods like that are not only expensive they are fickle as hell. A buddy of mine dropped a Twin Turbo Supra motor in a Lexus LS-430. Ran strong for a while and I mean strong. Then he took it to the dino to get tuned. Dumped like 430hp on the first pull then ate itself. In the last three years that motor has crapped on the dino twice, been out of that car 4 times, had two cranks installed, had heads ported and had a valve job, been converted to a single turbo (this is what I call the Tool Time upgrade) and a tone of stuff I can’t even think of with the drive train.

Not to mention mods to brakes and suspension cause if your going to add considerable amount of power and not upgrade that as well, I recommend budgeting for a five point and a roll cage. I got a handful of stories like this I can tell ya about almost every moded car I know of. You can spend $8k now or $12-$15k (try to put a number on what I just wrote: drivetrain, brakes, suspension) tomorrow. Making power is easy. Making RELIABLE power you can street is very difficult. And honestly, it’s been my experience few people do it better than the factory. I’m not saying don’t do it, cause who doesn’t want to see forced induction on these things, but don’t do it thinking your going to save money. Plus what is three miles per gallon really going to cost you?
Couldn't have said that better myself.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #32
stratman
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazm View Post
the required upgrades?

turbo kit 4500
I don't know who you got to sell, install and tune a turbo kit with all the trimmings ready to run for $4500 but I think that was a bargain.

Plus you gotta remember this is a brand new car. Aftermarket parts will be more expensive and a little difficult to find until it has been out for a few years. The first moded cars you see will be custom one-offs($$$$$) and aftermarket manufacturer research cars for kits they will eventually sell. Even if stuff exists for the CTS it's not as simple as throw it on the Camaro. I think you talked about waiting until you paid off your car but I think a lot of people looking to do it in the first couple of years are overlooking this.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #33
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Fast
Cheap
Reliable

pick 2.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #34
stratman
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Fast
Cheap
Reliable

pick 2.
Exactly. As my old boss would say about products in general..."You can have it good and cheap but it won't be quick. You can have it good and quick, but it won't be cheap. Or you can have it quick and cheap, but it won't be good." Speed costs. How fast you wanna go?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #35
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Fast
Cheap
Reliable

pick 2.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #36
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Not bad. I'm assuming the kit probably came with an intercooler and other cooling mods, did the kit come with a boost controller?
yes came with a vertical flow intercooler, 3" piping, etc. no boost controller. i run the AEM one though.

Quote:

i have over 25k, nearly 30k miles on my car since putting the turbo on. my only prob is shredding transmissions (which ive fixed now).

stock brakes, suspension, everything. car pulls 1.6 60' at the track with ease on the 2step, and ive even hit 1.730 without the 2step.

Quote:
I don't know who you got to sell, install and tune a turbo kit with all the trimmings ready to run for $4500 but I think that was a bargain.

Plus you gotta remember this is a brand new car. Aftermarket parts will be more expensive and a little difficult to find until it has been out for a few years. The first moded cars you see will be custom one-offs($$$$$) and aftermarket manufacturer research cars for kits they will eventually sell. Even if stuff exists for the CTS it's not as simple as throw it on the Camaro. I think you talked about waiting until you paid off your car but I think a lot of people looking to do it in the first couple of years are overlooking this.
the kit was from powerhouse411.com and i was one of the first to get it so i got it for 4500, it was normally 4800, and now sells for 5200 (i think).

i installed it myself, im an ASE certified master tech and had my own shop for almost 5 years (sold it but still workt here)
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote