Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #29
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
I asked this on CF as well, but figured I may as well ask it here too.

I'm asking this purely for clarification.

Are you stating that the DiabloSport equipment will show the proper CVN after reflashing back to stock, or are you saying that even a modified calibration file done with a DiabloSport product will still display the CVNs of an OEM GM calibration for that specific OS ID?
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport View Post
If you are referring to this page 4:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-s...arranty-4.html

That is not anything conclusive, and does not address what tuning system was used.
I agree. Still watching though
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #31
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSteck View Post

Are you stating that the DiabloSport equipment will show the proper CVN after reflashing back to stock, or are you saying that even a modified calibration file done with a DiabloSport product will still display the CVNs of an OEM GM calibration for that specific OS ID?
+2 If that's the case, and it can be proven, I think this topic can be put to rest.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #32
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Quote:

The CVNs will not change, at all, period.

If the vehicle shows 3 CVNs in its history, then you flash it with a current Predator or Trinity 4 times or 20 times, then flash it back to stock, then check the CVNs again, you will still see only the 3 original CVNs reported originally. Even if you do not flash back to stock, the CVNs will not change, but that is obviously not to say that the file could not be read out of the car and the tune detected at that point.
Mike@DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #33
Mike@DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
+2 If that's the case, and it can be proven, I think this topic can be put to rest.
I am confident that Ed will see this in the testing he is performing on the 2010 Camaro in that CF thread.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #34
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:

If the vehicle shows 3 CVNs in its history, then you flash it with a current Predator or Trinity 4 times or 20 times, then flash it back to stock, then check the CVNs again, you will still see only the 3 original CVNs reported originally. Even if you do not flash back to stock, the CVNs will not change, but that is obviously not to say that the file could not be read out of the car and the tune detected at that point.
Quote:
I am confident that Ed will see this in the testing he is performing on the 2010 Camaro in that CF thread.
If this is proved to be the case, then
Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #35
DSteck
Account Suspended

Quote:

I believe it when flashing it back to stock, but I have a hard time believing the CVNs will still match an OEM calibration considering the CVNs are a checksum of the calibration data. Do you have documented proof that the CVNs of a modified calibration are exactly the same as the CVNs of an OEM GM calibration with the same OS ID?

Also, just to be clear, we're talking about CVNs and not Segment IDs, correct?

Last edited by DSteck; 06-16-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #36
Mike@DS

Quote:
I believe it when flashing it back to stock, but I have a hard time believing the CVNs will still match an OEM calibration considering the CVNs are a checksum of the calibration data. Do you have documented proof that the CVNs of a modified calibration are exactly the same as the CVNs of an OEM GM calibration with the same OS ID?

Also, just to be clear, we're talking about CVNs and not Segment IDs, correct?
Our flash process does not touch the CVNs in any way.

I am not in any position to offer up such documentation, but anyone can test it easily with GDS.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #37
DSteck
Account Suspended

Quote:
Our flash process does not touch the CVNs in any way.

I am not in any position to offer up such documentation, but anyone can test it easily with GDS.
CVNs are not a hard coded piece of information though. They are a four digit (well, eight digit, but the first four are zeros) checksum generated from the calibration data contained in each segment ID. The CVN itself is not something that can be edited as it's purely a generated value. It's the same concept as a hash function for computer files.

I have no doubt that the software doesn't touch the segment IDs, but I'd be willing to bet the segment CVNs for a non-stock calibration don't match up. I'd put a Benjamin on it. Reflashing the stock file will easily crap out the proper CVNs, though.

Example:

For my VIN, here are my segment IDs:

Segment 1 (Main Operating System): 12614682
CVN: 0000DB13

Segment 2 (System): 12602951
CVN: 0000960E

Segment 3 (Fuel System): 12602946
CVN: 00006782

Segment 4 (Speedometer): 12605254
CVN: 0000594E

Segment 5 (Engine Diagnostic): 12618573
CVN: 0000E595

Segment 6 (Engine Operation): 12605204
CVN: 00006B64

All of my segment IDs from before I went to an enhanced OS match up to what TIS says my VIN should have (I had the latest GM calibration for an 06 Z06). The only segment ID that doesn't match up in my enhanced OS is the Main Operating System.