Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
SS-L99

Drives: 2011 SS L99
Need help on engine build

Here's the story. My lifters has gone bad and I will need to replace it. While having that repair what else would you advise me to do since the heads are going to be off. Also which lifters and spring will be a good upgarde? I have about 6k to spend. I was thinking cams at the moment. I would like to turbo the car within the next 2 years. What can I do now to prepare for turbo? (sorry no supercharger) I would like sponsors and members to help me make an inform decision. Thank you in advance.
SS-L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
MudderFinger

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
Go with the LS3 conversion and maybe the JRE blower cam, call Ted at Jannetty racing to see if he might recommend a different cam, but it seems that the blower cam may allow for you to take adavantage of your turbo, and it will perform well without it. He may also provide you with a tune for the cam. This conversion kit a cam will also replace your lifters, timing gear, valve springs, keepers, locks and trunion upgrades. And remove all the AFM items from inside your engine.
MudderFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
To prepare for a turbo your best best is to build the bottom end with forged rods, and forged low compression pistons. It may be down on power but once you add the turbo you would reap the benefits. Only need one cam though and a good blower cam is a great option. Don't need headers for a turbo but a clutch is a good idea to have. In the grand scheme of things 6k is a good amount of money but not really enough.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudderFinger View Post
Go with the LS3 conversion and maybe the JRE blower cam, call Ted at Jannetty racing to see if he might recommend a different cam, but it seems that the blower cam may allow for you to take adavantage of your turbo, and it will perform well without it. He may also provide you with a tune for the cam. This conversion kit a cam will also replace your lifters, timing gear, valve springs, keepers, locks and trunion upgrades. And remove all the AFM items from inside your engine.
^^^ this
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Revolution
Owner of RRW

Drives: 12 ZL1 A6 white and 64 nova ss
First off a question, If your lifters have failed, What made them fail. If the car is a 2011 L99 it should be covered under warranty. I would most definitely let GM handle that and save your pennies right now.

To go for a turbo setup your best bet is to steer clear of any supercharger cams whatsoever. A magnacharger cam anything that is designed or picked around a roots style blower is meant to take advantage of the peak points when that particular unit moves air. Just like I won't pick a blower cam for a procharger and use it with a magnacharger. When it comes down to cam selection and making the most power even the twin screw versus the helical rotor blowers have a stern difference in where and how they flow air and what the dynamics of it are. The choices for the cam with your timing and valve events is key. I would say at the cost of a camshaft it costs me really not much more to have a custom grind spun and pick it depending on your turbo choice. I would steer clear of the "kit cams"

As for spring choices I would decide again the end result of the build is going to be. Picking the stiffest valve spring to keep up with the big lift cam's is not always going to be the best choice. You need the seat pressure but remember you don't want excessive seat pressure this will not only be tough on the valves locks and retainers but it will beat the crap out of the valve seats.

The ls3 conversion idea is solid. I would however again put out there how you want to spend your money. If you can get the work done under warranty I would start investing in parts to build yourself a forged shortblock. The forged short block even with stock l99 heads or Lsa heads is going to be a great platform for boost. Just doing good rods pistons and a set of rings gapped for boost and ARP hardware thoughout you are going to have something that is capable of big power and holding it versus just stabbing a cam in it and calling it a day.

If I can help in any way feel free to drop me a PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Venom_SS

Drives: Camaro SS
Thank you for that advice. I am going to do those 2. Cams and ls3 conversion. What about head porting? I was reading up on Mast black label. Any advice on that?
Venom_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
First off a question, If your lifters have failed, What made them fail. If the car is a 2011 L99 it should be covered under warranty. I would most definitely let GM handle that and save your pennies right now.

To go for a turbo setup your best bet is to steer clear of any supercharger cams whatsoever. A magnacharger cam anything that is designed or picked around a roots style blower is meant to take advantage of the peak points when that particular unit moves air. Just like I won't pick a blower cam for a procharger and use it with a magnacharger. When it comes down to cam selection and making the most power even the twin screw versus the helical rotor blowers have a stern difference in where and how they flow air and what the dynamics of it are. The choices for the cam with your timing and valve events is key. I would say at the cost of a camshaft it costs me really not much more to have a custom grind spun and pick it depending on your turbo choice. I would steer clear of the "kit cams"

As for spring choices I would decide again the end result of the build is going to be. Picking the stiffest valve spring to keep up with the big lift cam's is not always going to be the best choice. You need the seat pressure but remember you don't want excessive seat pressure this will not only be tough on the valves locks and retainers but it will beat the crap out of the valve seats.

The ls3 conversion idea is solid. I would however again put out there how you want to spend your money. If you can get the work done under warranty I would start investing in parts to build yourself a forged shortblock. The forged short block even with stock l99 heads or Lsa heads is going to be a great platform for boost. Just doing good rods pistons and a set of rings gapped for boost and ARP hardware thoughout you are going to have something that is capable of big power and holding it versus just stabbing a cam in it and calling it a day.

If I can help in any way feel free to drop me a PM.

Good post.. A custom cam is always better than off the shelf and the forged internals should be a must when going FI. The power is made in the heads and a proper valve-train is crucial to not only making power but sustaining it.

For head porting there are a million choices.. we use TEA for OEM head porting, we use MAST heads as well.
1200 is the usual price with hardware to get your heads worked over
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Venom_SS

Where can I research more about custom cams? Also who makes and sale them?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
SS-L99

Drives: 2011 SS L99
Thanks. Who makes custom cams? Porting? Gotta look into that too
SS-L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Your location says midwest. You might check with:

IPS Motorsports - http://www.ipsmotorsports.net/

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Check out Livernois Motorsports

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Head porting on an LS3/L99 is a big waste of $'s. The heads are pretty darn good as delivered. If you're after every last hp and dollars/hp don't matter, go for it. Otherwise, spend your money on something else.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Venom_SS

I'm in CA, where can I find a shop to do custom cams? Haddad Motorsport is going to do the install.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #14
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_SS View Post
I'm in CA, where can I find a shop to do custom cams? Haddad Motorsport is going to do the install.
Haddad Motorports, will also be picking out your cam

Every cam maker on the planet will grind you just about anything you want, off of there grind/lobe list. Comp Cams have been great, I also use a smaller company called, Bullet Cams/which is the same company as Ultradyne.

THanks
Mike Haddad
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote