Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #645
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
So what would drag racing with an auto tranny be like, preschool?

J/K
May as well put electronic controls on the steering and just let the computer race the car w/o a driver. But, then where's the fun?
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #646
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000 View Post
proof is the nurenberg ring times...... if youve done any road racing or scca stuff you know that this is truly the peak of performance evaluztions imo.....
no offense to anyone but drag racing is like kindergarten compared to track racing, imo having done both.
I think that a good road course provides a much better test of overall vehicle performance than a drag race does. A drag race is very one dimensional compared to a road course where handling, cornering, braking, and acceleration are all put to the test. A good time on a challenging road course is an indication that a vehicle can efficiently put its power from its wheels to the road.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #647
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairjohn2000 View Post
proof is the nurenberg ring times...... if youve done any road racing or scca stuff you know that this is truly the peak of performance evaluztions imo.....
no offense to anyone but drag racing is like kindergarten compared to track racing, imo having done both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I think that a good road course provides a much better test of overall vehicle performance than a drag race does. A drag race is very one dimensional compared to a road course where handling, cornering, braking, and acceleration are all put to the test. A good time on a challenging road course is an indication that a vehicle can efficiently put its power from its wheels to the road.
I get that, but I was referencing the two cars from a drag racing perspective only. Whether or not you believe it is the appropriate place for the ZL1 to be as compared to another type of racing doesn't matter. You don't have to sell me on the merits/strengths of the ZL1, I am well aware of it's apparent capabilities. My question was, do we know if the ZL1 will be able to launch from a dead stop, considering all the available torque, any better than the previous GT500's? A great 'Ring times does nothing to help answer this question.

Thanks for reiterating for the upteenth time that the ZL1 seems to be better suited to a road course than a drag strip instead of contributing to the topic presented.:

BTW, I actually do and enjoy both forms of racing. I, however, am not going to suggest that folks who partake of drag racing are somehow less of a competitor than folks that road race.

Last edited by tooslow; 11-21-2011 at 11:18 AM.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #648
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I get that, but I was referencing the two cars from a drag racing perspective only. Whether or not you believe it is the appropriate place for the ZL1 to be as compared to another type of racing doesn't matter. You don't have to sell me on the merits/strengths of the ZL1, I am well aware of it's apparent capabilities. My question was, do we know if the ZL1 will be able to launch from a dead stop, considering all the available torque, any better than the previous GT500's?
Are you referring to launching consistently by the typical amateur driver, or the best launch that can be achieved by a professional driver? Either way, those questions are probably best answered with the vehicles at the drag strip.

Quote:
A great 'Ring times does nothing to help answer this question.
However, to acheive a great Nurburgring time, a vehicle must be able to efficiently gets its power to the road.

Quote:
Thanks for reiterating for the upteenth time that the ZL1 seems to be better suited to a road course than a drag strip instead of contributing to the topic presented.:
My post that you quoted simply stated that I think that a good road course is a better venue for which to determine the overall performance of a vehicle than a drag race is. The post did not refer specifically the ZL1 or the venue to which its design is better suited.

However, if drag racing is one's thing, I suggest that one would do better to purchase a new COPO Camaro, which is designed from the factory specifically for drag racing, rather than to purchase a ZL1, since the ZL1 has a lot of technology, and, therefore, associated cost that is not related to, or optimized for, drag racing.

Quote:
BTW, I actually do and enjoy both forms of racing. I, however, am not going to suggest that folks who partake of drag racing are somehow less of a competitor than folks that road race.
Who was comparing the level being of a competitor of those who drag race with those who road race? Is it "better" to be more or less of a competitor?
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 11-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #649
tooslow
Banned

Quote:
Are you referring to launching consistently by the typical amateur driver, or the best launch that can be achieved by a professional driver? Either way, those questions are probably best answered with the vehicles at the drag strip.
I agree 100%! So why then are so many people on this board dead certain that the ZL1 is going to hook up from a dead stop at a drag strip better than the GT500, given a driver of equal experience with each vehicle? That's the question I'm asking. To date, there is zero evidence that it will.

Quote:
However, to acheive a great Nurburgring time, a vehicle must be able to efficiently gets its power to the road.
Again, I get that. But as many will attest, it is much easier to hook when the vehicle is already in motion versus from a standing start. Why else would you start a 'Ring run from a roll versus from a dead stop?

Quote:
My post that you quoted simply stated that I think that a good road course is a better venue for which to determine the overall performance of a vehicle than a drag race is. The post did not refer specifically the ZL1 or the venue to which its design is better suited.
Right, but why even state this answer to the question that was asked? I asked why people think the ZL1 will hook from a dead stop better than the GT500, not what venue offers the best evaluation of total performance. You took it upon yourself to state that opinion.

Quote:
However, if drag racing is one's thing, I suggest that one would do better to purchase a new COPO Camaro, which is designed from the factory specifically for drag racing, rather than to purchase a ZL1, since the ZL1 has a lot of technology, and, therefore, associated cost that is not related to, or optimized for, drag racing.
You make it sound like the GT500 is, which is not the case. Like the concept COPO Camaro, Ford already makes a drag race specific, non street-legal vehicle specific to drag racing, the Mustang Cobra Jet.

Quote:
Who was comparing the level being of a competitor of those who drag race with those who road race? Is it "better" to be more or less of a competitor?
If you will note, that was not directed toward anything you said.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #650
Wolve91

Drives: 2002 Corvette
First time poster! Have been reading all the great information here. You guys are a wealth of information, thanks!

Just wanted to add that I am/was interested in a ZL1. As a previous camaro owner, current Vette owner this car had a lot of appeal to me.

So I called my local dealer whom I have purchased 3 cars from already. Lets just say I will never ever buy another one from Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale, AZ. They stated they are getting 5 ZL1's and are pricing them at....

Are you ready......

Sit down.....

$20,0000 OVER MSRP!

Wow is all I can say, nothing like raping your customers.
Wolve91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #651
Blackhawk021

Drives: 2010 BMW 535ix, 2011 GMC Acadia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolve91 View Post
First time poster! Have been reading all the great information here. You guys are a wealth of information, thanks!

Just wanted to add that I am/was interested in a ZL1. As a previous camaro owner, current Vette owner this car had a lot of appeal to me.

So I called my local dealer whom I have purchased 3 cars from already. Lets just say I will never ever buy another one from Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale, AZ. They stated they are getting 5 ZL1's and are pricing them at....

Are you ready......

Sit down.....

$20,0000 OVER MSRP!

Wow is all I can say, nothing like raping your customers.
WOW, find another dealer, there are tons of them out there that are at MSRP.
Blackhawk021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #652
tooslow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk021 View Post
WOW, find another dealer, there are tons of them out there that are at MSRP.
So everyone would have you to believe, but not necessarily the case. There are some but hardly "tons". As we get closer to actual production, I figure even fewer will be offered at MSRP. Just my opinion based on what has occurred with other niche cars over the past few years. One thing GM has going for it, however, the levels of disposable income people have these days is much less than what it was when the SRT's and GT500's first hit showrooms. Guess that's one advantage to being late to the game.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #653
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
I agree 100%! So why then are so many people on this board dead certain that the ZL1 is going to hook up from a dead stop at a drag strip better than the GT500, given a driver of equal experience with each vehicle? That's the question I'm asking. To date, there is zero evidence that it will.
I'm not sure how many are "dead certain" that the ZL1 will launch better than the current GT500, but those that do have that belief may be basing it on the widely accepted understanding that the current GT500 has some difficultly launching effectively, and on the fact the the ZL1 has launch control and the current GT500 does not.

Quote:
Again, I get that. But as many will attest, it is much easier to hook when the vehicle is already in motion versus from a standing start. Why else would you start a 'Ring run from a roll versus from a dead stop?
I believe that, for whatever reason, the current standard for clocking Nurburgring lap times is with a rolling start. Regardless, the comparisons should be apples to apples comparisons, rolling start to rolling start, and standing start to standing start.

Quote:
Right, but why even state this answer to the question that was asked? I asked why people think the ZL1 will hook from a dead stop better than the GT500, not what venue offers the best evaluation of total performance. You took it upon yourself to state that opinion.
My post was in direct response to RamAirJohn2000's post, not one of your posts.

Quote:
You make it sound like the GT500 is, which is not the case. Like the concept COPO Camaro, Ford already makes a drag race specific, non street-legal vehicle specific to drag racing, the Mustang Cobra Jet.
How does a post that doesn't mention the GT500 characterize the GT500 as designed for drag racing? I was referring to the differences between the ZL1 and the COPO Camaro.

Quote:
If you will note, that was not directed toward anything you said.
I don't think I indicated that it was. I just was asking who was comparing the competitive levels of drag racers and road racers.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #654
Blackhawk021

Drives: 2010 BMW 535ix, 2011 GMC Acadia
Quote:
So everyone would have you to believe, but not necessarily the case. There are some but hardly "tons". As we get closer to actual production, I figure even fewer will be offered at MSRP. Just my opinion based on what has occurred with other niche cars over the past few years. One thing GM has going for it, however, the levels of disposable income people have these days is much less than what it was when the SRT's and GT500's first hit showrooms. Guess that's one advantage to being late to the game.
another kind opinion from the "slow" lady...sorry, I guess "tons" wasn't the right word choice. I will try again for the "slow" people in the forum and try to be more specific.

WOW, find another dealer, there are quite possibly several out there that will respect MSRP and honor that price without marking up $20k. I only know this because there are TONS of members on this forum that have stated as fact that they have placed their order at MSRP...Good luck, hope you find one in your area!
Blackhawk021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #655
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk021 View Post
another kind opinion from the "slow" lady...sorry, I guess "tons" wasn't the right word choice. I will try again for the "slow" people in the forum and try to be more specific.

WOW, find another dealer, there are quite possibly several out there that will respect MSRP and honor that price without marking up $20k. I only know this because there are TONS of members on this forum that have stated as fact that they have placed their order at MSRP...Good luck, hope you find one in your area!
Signed by dealer at MSRP, done deal.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #656
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Theres the price you wanna pay, the price you pay and then theres the price you tell your friends you paid!

2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #657
NYCSRTATE

Drives: Future ZL1 or CTS V Owner
Considering Jeep is asking $64k + tax for there SRT8 and $55k + tax for there 300 SRT8 this ZL1 at MSRP may be the deal of a lifetime!

BTW Jeep has lost there fu*king minds $64k for a Jeep get a grip.

Dont get me started on Chrysler, damn company is begging to fail again.

Now the quest begins to find a dealer in the north east to get a ZL1 at MSRP or invoice. I may have to do what ive done with most of my other vehicles, buy them from the mid west seems there are more respectable dealers there.
NYCSRTATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #658
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
So what would drag racing with an auto tranny be like, preschool?

J/K
Now THAT"S funny....

Tags
2012 camaro zl1 msrp, 2012 camaro zl1 price, 2012 zl1 msrp, 2012 zl1 price, 2013 camaro zl1 price, 2013 zl1 price, camaro zl1 msrp, camaro zl1 price, camaro zl1 pricing, zl1 msrp, zl1 price, zl1 pricing