Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Why is the GM paint process so terrible?

The poor paint has been rehashed time and time again, but with my searching I couldnt figure out WHY the paint is so terrible?

I have 8 vehicles. My newest one is a 2010 camaro, yet the paint is in the WORST condition. I had a dime sized piece chip off the the quarter panel, and have tons of little pits on the roof, both side fenders, and around the windshield. When I say tons, I have counted over 40 from 1-3 mm in diameter. Sometimes they are even grouped together in little clusters.

I have NO chips on the front or rear bumpers though...

So if my 1988 fiero doesnt have any chips, why does the Camaro?
If my 1998 ram doesnt have any chips, why does the camaro?

And at this rate at 100k miles, is it going to look speckled yellow and white?

I made the dealership give me a bottle of touch up paint so I'm going to repair them, I just am struggling to figure out WHY the paint process seemingly went downhill over even past GM cars, and why it seems so much worse than Ford or Chryslers processes? Do they use some sort of proprietary painting process? are there benefits of it that I am not aware of?
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
the short answer is water based paint due to environmental restrictions.....

Also, use DR colorchip to fix them, you don't want tons of little paint blobs,
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
have you used DR colorchip before? Hows it work. I can swing $50 if thats a better solution!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
for small chips it's all I use, I can't say enough about the product. Go to their site and watch the video, it's real. You'll get an 85% fix.

I have fixed so many on my cars that I've lost count and can't remember where most of them are.....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
You haven't heard?
Attached Images

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
the short answer is water based paint due to environmental restrictions.....
Bingo... I'm on a lot of forums for a variety of makes and models and the complaints here are no different than they are for other new cars. The 370z crowd is going thru a lot of this now too w/ Nissan's paint for example.

I'm sure clear coat wasn't all that great when the process first started out after lacquer single stage had been used for so long. Eventually they'll get it figured out - just sucks that in the meantime you guys have to put up with it.

Ford, as much as it pains me to say it, has at least acknowledged that people care about paint quality on cars and has attempted to do something about it. Not sure how much better it is, but this test did impress me and I'm a life long Chevy guy.

Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
JIM Z
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS VERT
Think it just the type of process they might be using not sure
JIM Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
BigCarrot
xbox: this is tedious

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Camaro IOM
Only problem is... the ford still got chips. But it is progress that was a pretty crazy test!
Seems like just yesterday I spent $450 for a Roto Fab CAI!!! What the hell happened.
BigCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Sweet Zness
Because I Can

Drives: 08 IOM G8GT 11 Victory Red SS
I don't know if Ford implemented this on all vehicles but my 2010 Fusion had the worst paint problems I ever had on any vehicle period. Large chunks of paint removed almost half the size of dimes in three different spots on my front bumper. Not to mention the regular chipping I saw everywhere else.
Sweet Zness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
transamguy

Drives: 10 camaro LT(syn)
Paint is fine just really thin, and i doubt an epoxy based primer, the body panels are e-coated for corrosion protection and then primed. they must not be using an epoxy based primer because its not needed for a good adhesion of the new paint since the panel is free from contaminants. as for the water vs solvent there is no difference to the quality of paint its just the delivery method is different and gm has been using water based for years just like several other manufacturer due to costs and environmental fears. GM did botch the camaros paint by making it to thin and not "sticky" enough though in there defense some colours would be hard to apply thin such as IOM and SGM due to there pigments but a simple black or white should have plenty of paint..... the quality is there, they shine great and have some amazing brilliance
transamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
I detailed my Daughter's Dodge Nitro last weekend. Their paint was just as bad, if not worse. Like others have said, it's not just GM..
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
daytripper

Drives: IOM 2012 1SS m6
I have painted over 200 cars using various paints . From straight lacquers, hardened acrylac enamels to different brands of urethane . The technique used seems to be more important than the product used . GM tries to produce the best job possible for the price and in my case (IOM) they did a remarkable job . My finish is incredibly shiny .There is a lot of paint on my car . It's definately not thinly painted . There are a couple of tiny pieces of trash in the paint but all paint jobs that arent color sanded will have this .
I am quite happy with my paint job . I of course have already machine polished and waxed a few times . Looking good !
daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I agree ^^. It's a good paint job imo for the money but of course I have no chips, runs, peeling, etc on my 2 year old SS that so many other new Camaro owners have. As far as the EPA goes, they have nothing to do with it. Old lacquer paints chipped just as bad or worse in the old days.